• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just went from 2.1 V3 to 2.1OTA :D

nggomez60

Feb 19, 2010
I took my phone into the Verizon store today because of "ghost calling" problems (ie phone would call the last person I called every time I opened Pandora etc) and asked if they could fix it. They said they couldn't replace the phone but could do a hard reset and I said fine. They came back 15 minutes later and game me my phone back. I reloaded my data from my SD card and looked at the "About Phone" just out of curiosity and noticed that it had gone from the software version of the V3 update to that of the OTA. I don't know what they did in the back room but they somehow managed to get the OTA on there.

I took my phone into the Verizon store today because of "ghost calling" problems (ie phone would call the last person I called every time I opened Pandora etc) and asked if they could fix it. They said they couldn't replace the phone but could do a hard reset and I said fine. They came back 15 minutes later and game me my phone back. I reloaded my data from my SD card and looked at the "About Phone" just out of curiosity and noticed that it had gone from the software version of the V3 update to that of the OTA. I don't know what they did in the back room but they somehow managed to get the OTA on there.

so... if im understanding correctly (i'm a noob)

your saying that verizon changed your OS from the leaked version to the offical one?

Upvote 0
found it

post by xx_bishop_xx
Some people have chosen to use the RUU, but it's basically just hard resetting your phone if you have the v3 leak.

i might have read this completely out of context but that is what i got out of it.

I was trying to express that since 2.1v3 leak and the Official 2.1 OTA are identical (for all realistic purposes), that using the RUU (if one is already on 2.1v3) would end in the same result as 2.1v3 leak/Official 2.1 OTA. A factory reset would/should be a step in that process, so all that would be accomplished; really, is a hard reset. In my opinion anyway.

As expected, the ROM within the RUU is completely identical to "leak v3." However, it's much easier for non-technical folks to flash using the RUU than using the zip-on-card method. If you're on leak v1 or leak v2, this is the easiest way to upgrade to v3, which is the same as the OTA.

Upvote 0
So call me stupid, but how do you tell the difference between v3 and the OTA/RUU?

"Stupid"? nah, c'mon; nobody stupid here in these forums (they're all in the iPhone forums :eek:). Anyway here's a couple threads for your review, its seems the checksum comparison that thenestor completed proved to be identical between the two (2.1 OTA/2.1v3) ROMs. Hope this helps"

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/87118-reference-what-htc-rom-do-i-have.html

Upvote 0
So call me stupid, but how do you tell the difference between v3 and the OTA/RUU?

V3 and RUU are completely indistinguishable. They are not 99% identical; they are 100% identical.

The "1%" difference between those and the OTA is that the OTA a) doesn't update your HBOOT version, and b) has an "Upgrade" program that just shows you the upgrade status while it's upgrading.

Since the software build is completely identical, the only way to tell the difference between V3/RUU versus OTA is by checking your HBOOT. If you received the update Over The Air (OTA), you'll still have HBOOT 1.46 or 1.47. If you have either V3 or the RUU, you'll have 1.49.

If you're rooted, you'll also have 1.49, but with "S-OFF" (security off).

Reactions: xx_bishop_xx
Upvote 0
V3 and RUU are completely indistinguishable. They are not 99% identical; they are 100% identical.

The "1%" difference between those and the OTA is that the OTA a) doesn't update your HBOOT version, and b) has an "Upgrade" program that just shows you the upgrade status while it's upgrading.

Since the software build is completely identical, the only way to tell the difference between V3/RUU versus OTA is by checking your HBOOT. If you received the update Over The Air (OTA), you'll still have HBOOT 1.46 or 1.47. If you have either V3 or the RUU, you'll have 1.49.

Great stuff, nice work. I think that's what was in my mind when I posted that going from 2.1v3 to the RUU wouldn't accomplish much other than factory resetting your phone; if you take that step after the update.

Upvote 0
Great stuff, nice work. I think that's what was in my mind when I posted that going from 2.1v3 to the RUU wouldn't accomplish much other than factory resetting your phone; if you take that step after the update.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we're the only ones who understand.

The only reason for using the RUU (and the reason why it's a "larger file size") is that it's an easy-to-use Windows program that basically puts the ZIP file on your SD card for you and flashes it, instead of you doing it yourself and possibly messing it up. That's it. If you were to run the RUU, and take "rom.zip" out of your Windows temp folder while it's running, and compare it to the PB00IMG.zip from "leak v3", you'll see that it's the same exact file.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sometimes I feel like we're the only ones who understand.

The only reason for using the RUU (and the reason why it's a "larger file size") is that it's an easy-to-use Windows program that basically puts the ZIP file on your SD card for you and flashes it, instead of you doing it yourself and possibly messing it up. That's it. If you were to run the RUU, and take "rom.zip" out of your Windows temp folder while it's running, and compare it to the PB00IMG.zip from "leak v3", you'll see that it's the same exact file.

I think most things are pretty clear after you lay it out for us. Any chance you could take a look at the financials at my office? ;)

Upvote 0

This is what I have been understanding. The reason I asked is what the OP posted:

I took my phone into the Verizon store today .................... They came back 15 minutes later and game me my phone back. I reloaded my data from my SD card and looked at the "About Phone" just out of curiosity and noticed that it had gone from the software version of the V3 update to that of the OTA. I don't know what they did in the back room but they somehow managed to get the OTA on there.

So what did he see?

Did they swap him phones and give him a refurb with HBoot 1.46 and he didn't notice it was a different phone.

Upvote 0
This is what I have been understanding. The reason I asked is what the OP posted:

I took my phone into the Verizon store today .................... They came back 15 minutes later and game me my phone back. I reloaded my data from my SD card and looked at the "About Phone" just out of curiosity and noticed that it had gone from the software version of the V3 update to that of the OTA. I don't know what they did in the back room but they somehow managed to get the OTA on there.

So what did he see?

Did they swap him phones and give him a refurb with HBoot 1.46 and he didn't notice it was a different phone.

I think he might have been confused. He didn't explain what was different about that screen.

Upvote 0

Is your hboot 1.47, 1.49?

Upvote 0
It was the same phone. But the Baseband version and Software number were that of the OTA as opposed to that of the V3 leak which I was currently running when I went in there. as for my Hboot number it says 1.47(although I cannot confirm it was every 1.49 even though I was running V3)

That's really weird. It sounds like they rooted your phone and then downgraded your hboot. I don't understand how or why, but I'm glad it solved your problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones