• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just went to Cognition 2.4.1

sob, you need to reset battery stats. I've seen 4 different ways to do this, and while I'm sure all of them work in their own rights, I'll give you the directions to what I do time and time again.

Charge phone to 100%
Unplug charger, plug back in, charge to 100%
Turn off phone, charge to 100%
Unplug charger, charge to 100% (with phone off)
Turn phone on, using ROM Manager, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
Open ROM Manager app
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery (for Captivate)
Reboot into Recovery
When you are in Recovery (easily recognized by GREEN text), scroll to "advance"
Scroll and select "Wipe Battery Stats"

Once you wipe battery stats, navigate your way out, and reboot the phone back to "normal". Now over the next day, monitor the battery drain and see if it gets any better (which it should). I would also remove any task killer you've added as well, those don't really help you.

I'd also like to mention that DG has mentioned in the Cognition chat, that there is an issue with battery drain on 2.4.1. I for one, haven't experienced this after a battery stat reset, but it could be a valid statement. All I know is, I'm hoping for another Cognition release soon since 2.4 and 2.4.1 have a few issues since they were built on a Vibrant rom. Just be ready to flash again!

Reactions: Ethere
Upvote 0
If anything, this is less buggy. There are/were a lot of issues with the Vibrant rom.
yea thats what ive heard but ive had excellent luck with the vibrant rom for some strange reason. up until 2.4 mine was quite buggy but i dealt with it,im sure there will be a new one out in a couple of days. the thing is when he makes big changes some small bugs tend to pop up, so since he went back to the captivate rom i figure there may be a few small bugs. i could easily be wrong but i wont have time to flash the new one until mid week anyway when there will likely be a new one

Upvote 0
my battery lasts one day,when i first got it,it drained in like 7 hours of constant use but it was on full everything,and like I said,constant fun and use.lol..downloading apps etc.
I did order a car charger,that will make life easier though.I do not think I want to take this phone back for a different one,or an Iphone,which I like this phone better.

Upvote 0
sob, you need to reset battery stats. I've seen 4 different ways to do this, and while I'm sure all of them work in their own rights, I'll give you the directions to what I do time and time again.

Charge phone to 100%
Unplug charger, plug back in, charge to 100%
Turn off phone, charge to 100%
Unplug charger, charge to 100% (with phone off)
Turn phone on, using ROM Manager, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
Open ROM Manager app
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery (for Captivate)
Reboot into Recovery
When you are in Recovery (easily recognized by GREEN text), scroll to "advance"
Scroll and select "Wipe Battery Stats"

Once you wipe battery stats, navigate your way out, and reboot the phone back to "normal". Now over the next day, monitor the battery drain and see if it gets any better (which it should). I would also remove any task killer you've added as well, those don't really help you.

Thanks for the tip on this. I've saved this to a file on my PC and will try it tomorrow.

I'm still on 2.3b3 and loving everything about it. As of right now, there doesn't seem to be anything spectacular about b4, so I'll stick with what I have for now.

Upvote 0
It is better to think, yes...you will lose all your data when you flash the next release.

From what I've seen, people tend to have problems when they try and kernal swap, or install Cognition without reverting back to stock first.

Reinstalling your stuff shouldn't be painful if you are using the right tools to help you. Over the last weekend, I flashed 3 different versions of Cognition in 4 days. It takes me less than 40 minutes to reconfigure the phone.

Upvote 0
If I flash the next release, do I loose all my data again?
I'm hoping the next release will have the stock keyboard back but I don't know how many times I can go through reinstalling all my stuff!

Titanium Backup (TiBu) is your friend if you want to flash ROM's. Either the free version or the paid version if you have a ton of apps. The first time I flashed Froyo was with the 2.4.1 Cognition ROM. I didn't have or use Titanium Backup and had to remember everything I had loaded on my stock Eclair. (Plus, I lost all of my Angry Birds progress! :D) I loaded 2.3b4 yesterday but I backed everything up with TiBu free first. It worked wonders and I'm very happy with it. :) As I load more apps, I'll need and gladly pay for the paid version which allows for batching. Check it out and I think you'll agree.

JoeMap

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones