1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

K-9 Email App

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lufbra, Apr 25, 2012.

1. lufbra

lufbra Lurker

Hi there.

Recently I "gave up" on my Gmail account (personal reasons) to which I had set up on my HTC Evo 4G Shift. So I then started looking around for another email set up and found that the K-9 Mail app is very popular. I installed it and was successfully able to install the other email accounts I use (Ymail, Verizon, and Zoho accounts). I had read that the program can be rather confusing to set up, but I was pretty sure everything was okay after a few tweaks etc. Anyway, I then found a problem with the notifications, it wouldn't notify when the home screen is in "sleep" or at least when the screen is "dark/off" (sorry, not sure what word describes this properly). If the home screen is active (lit up) without anything "open", K-9 will show itself "polling" and will notify me if any new emails have come in. Is this the "normal" thing for this program and you can't/shouldn't be getting notifications like I'm not? Or do you K-9 users get notifications when the home screen is off, and if you do you have any suggestions as to what I might not be doing right?

When using the Gmail account with the program that comes with the phone, it would notify me of new emails when the home screen was "off". I also had the Ymail account set up with the Yahoo app, and that would remind me when new emails came in while the home screen was off. I got rid of that app (Yahoo) with the hope to have just one email app/program in use. But would really like the program to be able to notify me when emails come in, when the phone is "not in use".

Any help would be very much appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast

Open K9. Tap on one of your accounts. Menu. Settings. Account settings. Notifications. You should see choices for blinking LED, Ringtones, etc. You can customize each email account. Some of what you can do may depend on the phone you have.

3. lufbra

lufbra Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I had done what you suggested, having each account set for a ringtone sound I added, the flashing LED light, the only thing I haven't got it/them set to is vibration. Does it work for you? I have tried changing the "polling" times, and changing the "Idle" times, but still it's not working, if in fact it should! I just don't understand why it should work when the home screen is lit up. even if I'm not doing anything with the phone.

4. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast

I have 2 pop3 email accounts that work for me, with all of the above, using K9. Not sure what else to recommend.

lufbra likes this.
  5. lufbra

lufbra Lurker

Thanks for replying again kmf. After fiddling and playing around with the program for over two weeks, it's now notifying me when the home screen is off!! I have no clue whatsoever as to what I have done to have it working, but I'm now happy with it and will keep my fingers crosseed in hope that it keeps on working. :)