• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root K, gonna take the plunge and root

sharkerbaby

Aug 29, 2010
I've read everything I can find and been watching these threads for over a month but I'm still nervous about it. I keep telling myself far more people are successful at this than have problems even though the boards are filled w/ sometimes panicked people. I plan on going the manual route vs the one click route so that I can get a good feel for what exactly is happening when and where

I'm gonna reread a few more things just to be sure I've got it down and then start the process tomorrow am. I'll post when I'm successful - and hopefully not before w/ some problem or other ;)

I've read everything I can find and been watching these threads for over a month but I'm still nervous about it. I keep telling myself far more people are successful at this than have problems even though the boards are filled w/ sometimes panicked people. I plan on going the manual route vs the one click route so that I can get a good feel for what exactly is happening when and where

I'm gonna reread a few more things just to be sure I've got it down and then start the process tomorrow am. I'll post when I'm successful - and hopefully not before w/ some problem or other ;)

I recommend this method:

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

If you ever run into any serious problems, the method of restoring your phone back to stock is very similar to this rooting method, so it will put you through the paces so if you ever get into trouble you will be more prepared to fix it.

I think the only reason OMJ touts his alternative method is because the above method comes from people on the forum from which he is BANNED.

Some tips:

If you get into flashing kernels, keep a few alternative kernels on your SD card at all times. That way if you get into a boot loop because of a kernel your phone/ROM doesn't like, you can easily boot into recovery and install a different one.

Also, once you get settled in to a new ROM, make a nandroid backup so that if you do anything that screws it up, you can quickly and easily restore your backup.

I also recommend investing in MyBackupPro, even for unrooted folks, and scheduling it to backup your data on a daily basis. Most ROMs call for you to do a full data wipe before installing them, if you have data backed up through MyBackup you can restore your call log, SMS and MMS, bookmarks, etc quickly and easily.

Reactions: sharkerbaby
Upvote 0
I would do 1 of these 2 as they are complied by locals here so you can get local support and both shown to work. dont get involved in any drama, just pick a method and roll. of course, the "1 click" method is easier IF it works.

option 1
option 2

LOL, that's why I recommended the other method. Everyone here suggests those methods you linked to, the first of which is more difficult than the one I suggested (at least for me - I could never get the SDK to work properly on my PC), the second of which is still in the experimental stages.

No drama necessary, take your pick of the 3 options, but from personal experience I recommend the method I linked to in my above post as the easiest and least problematic.

Upvote 0
I have used several methods. the #1 above worked perfect for me, and others, and since the OP is a member here, easier to just have him use a proven method here so he can get help if issues.

I love the idea of option 2, fast and easy as it gets though not really 1 click, and if I was the OP I would try it first actually. fast, easy, supported. I tried it in early release, it did not work, but now it seems the dev has a working option and people are rooting fast.. and I like fast :)

Upvote 0
Here's what I don't understand... why have a non-dev unnecessarily install the Android SDK onto their computer? If there's an easier method why not recommend that one instead?

I had nothing but trouble getting the SDK to install on my PC, and I'm pretty darn computer savvy.

The option 2 sounds nice, but even the most recent posts are from people who thought they did it right and thought it worked, but then when they reboot they weren't rooted.

Upvote 0
lol you two - now quit threadjacking... ;) Sincerely though, I do appreciate the feedback. I had already rejected lock-n-load's option 2 only because I want to know the ins and outs of the whole thing. I used to be very tech savvy - have gotten away from that side during the last few years but i my interest is still there particularly w/ a new system.

I have reviewed everything including publicanimal's suggested method (nice by the way), have made my decision which route I'm going to take and because I no longer want to wait until tomorrow was just getting ready to begin when... my son came in and declared quite emphatically that he was HUNGRY.... oh these pesky life sustaining tasks I must do. I'm gonna take care of that by way of the quickest means possible (take out) and begin...

thanks again for the feedback

Upvote 0
Once you're successful let us know how it went and what method you used. If you can get the SDK method to work then "mister you're a better man than I".

this is not a slam or any stab at insult, but having never done that method, I followed it and had my buddies D1 rooted in about 15 minutes literally. I had 0 problems. just FWIW. I am not sure if you tried a different method using the SDK or that method, but maybe that matters as OMJ spells it out pretty clear.

and to the OP... in this day and age, I am not one that buys into that "I want to know what it going on method" for root. if you have a 1 or 2 step root method at your hands that others have worked hard to perfect, I see no reason not to take it. Even more so when life is busy. remember, once you will root, you will need other tools and files: kernels, roms, SetCPU, BusyBox, ROM Manager, etc that you did not write and do not understand "what is going on" with those, but you will use them.. My point? my point is all of these things are just tools to an end. I see no valor in wanting to know "what is going on" UNLESS it is really that important to you and frankly, even publicanimal's and OMJs methods don't really even make it crystal clear "what is going on" per se. Even those are tools and steps to just get it done. Because of that, in rooting, I would take the path of least resistance really and if that 1-2 click method works, I would be on it like flys on poo as I have other things to do in the day then toil over what is "really going on".. like load a faster kernel.. IMHO :)

Upvote 0
all rooted!!! quick and easy np at all! method chosen is unimportant. I realize and appreciate the time and effort that went into developing and / or documenting all three methods. I have no doubt that percentage wise there have been just as many people that have been successful as have failed using any of the methods - they are all valid.

doing my first nandroid b/u now. I'm trying to decide if I should do a factory reset/wipe data, next install the various root tools apps, then gonna get rid of some of the bloatware ie amazon apps, visual vm, let run a day or two then start playing w/ roms,kernels,

Thanks for your encouragement

Upvote 0
southernguy, go to the link in public animal's first post. there is a link within there that will download the app.

btw, between that linked info and the thread in lock-n-load's option 1, i had all the information i needed and felt comfortable rooting my phone for the first time. lots of good info between the two.

Upvote 0
all rooted!!! quick and easy np at all! method chosen is unimportant. I realize and appreciate the time and effort that went into developing and / or documenting all three methods. I have no doubt that percentage wise there have been just as many people that have been successful as have failed using any of the methods - they are all valid.

doing my first nandroid b/u now. I'm trying to decide if I should do a factory reset/wipe data, next install the various root tools apps, then gonna get rid of some of the bloatware ie amazon apps, visual vm, let run a day or two then start playing w/ roms,kernels,

Thanks for your encouragement

It's a good time to be rooted. Tons of great ROMs out there! If you ever want any app/ROM/kernel recommendations give me a shout, by PM or on one of these threads - I've been really active on the forums lately. I like to help.

Upvote 0
*Here I come, dun dun, rockin' like a hurricaaaane!! dun dun dun, da daaaah!!!*

For sure try Soup or Root first (I just released 2.04 which is the easiest thing since slicing bread), you'll be sooo happy with the ridiculously easy results when it works (people say if because it depends on your computer programs, admin privileges, other user-side things I cannot fix in my program).

Just download 2.04 before trying the others (they work too, but this is freakin' easy) and do what it says in the instructions once you run the program (ignore what it says in the first post bout 1.8rA as that doesn't apply to 2.04) and as long as you have admin privileges and your computer runs well, I bet you'll be rooted in 5 minutes or less ;)

Upvote 0
OH NO, it's the dreaded RDKamilkaze, lol, thx for stopping by

I have been reading your thread and watching everything that has been happening with it for a while now (sorry about your gf's bro, glad he's doing ok) and to be honest knowing their was an "easy" way is what convinced me to finally go through w/ the rooting process.

I already successfully rooted the "hard" way. if i ever have to start from scratch again i'm doing it your way now that i know i can do it step by step. thanks for your efforts in developing the one step process and the great support you provide to those that go that route. your very good

Upvote 0
I'll go ahead and point you in the direction of some kernels. A little unsolicited advice :)

So far as I can tell the two most popular kernel developers are ChevyNo1 and Slayher.

Here are links to their latest kernels:

ChevyNo1:
Index of /froyo/kernels2

Slayher (v 1.6 kernels are the latest ones):
Index of /slayher/kernels

As far as what speed to go for, it's a combination of what works for your phone (without sending you into a boot loop - I generally only get boot loops with 1.25 GHz kernels), and what you are comfortable with (some kernels might work but run too hot for comfort, some might drain your battery too quick).

SetCPU is a great app to have to set clock speeds, you can have a default setting and then add profiles that underclock if the temperature gets too high, if the screen is off, if the battery is getting low, etc. It's absolutely essential with some ROMs, and wholly unnecessary with others. (Some of the newer ROMs have built in "smart overclocking".) Personally I'm looking forward to the day when I no longer need to use SetCPU with any ROM.

Regarding Ultra Low Voltage kernels:
Low voltage kernels generally work for most people without issue. Ultra Low Voltage kernels didn't used to work for my phone (not enough juice sent me into a boot loop). With Chevy's newer ULV kernels I'm having much greater success. Using a ULV kernel allows for better battery life while maintaining high performance - best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
wildsnorlaxapp128478972751622216.jpg

cheeevvvvyy!!!!!! On my old Droid (now my gf's bro's) it's running UltraLow voltage @ 1.25GHz on Simply Stunning 4.7, but it does the boot loop on 4.8 (weird, but I decided to go back to 4.7 since ultralow is FTW :D :D)

Glad to hear you're rooted bro, wootles of poodles my friend!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones