• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help K9 and IMAP

JSD_NJ

Sep 26, 2010
I've been experimenting with the K9 mail app using IMAP. It seems to be better than the stock app in some ways because it actually allows you to search the body of the email and not just the subject and sender like the stock app.

My question is, since IMAP is push, does this use more battery than if I just set up the account as POP in the stock mail app?

No, it's actually the opposite. The fact that K9 is push means it uses less battery than the stock app. Instead of K9 having to continually ask the server if there are any new messages (pull), push allows your mail server to send new messages to your phone as soon as you get them. This keeps you from using more data and leads to longer battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones