1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

K9 eMail

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Merc_uk, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Merc_uk

Merc_uk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    I have some questions i hope someone can help with. I have moved frrm iphone to android 2.2

1) How do you specify whether to use folders on the server or on the phone i.e. your sent items, trash etc

2) How do you select how often it checks for email.

3) What does poll folders and push folders mean/refer to.

tia

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
  3. Merc_uk

Merc_uk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    I had already tried rtfm and lots of websites before posting. Funny part is i thought the iphone was very simple and i would enjoy something more detailed but this android phone is starting to annoy me now. I cannot see where you specify to use server folders or local folders

4. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    bits & bytes
    left coast USA
    Is your e-mail account configured as IMAP or as POP?

With an IMAP account, mail is stored on the server and server pushes e-mail to client.

With a POP account, mail is downloaded to client (unless you elect to keep it on server) and client polls server (initiates mail checking).

Some mail services support both IMAP and POP protocols; others, just one or the other.

When you add an account to K-9, this is something you specify. To check after the fact, in K-9, look at Menu, More, Settings, Account Settings, Fetching Mail. You'll see either POP or IMAP.

5. Merc_uk

Merc_uk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    IMAP
    For some reason it is keeping my sent items and draft folders etc on the phone its not putting them to the server folders. I dont see any options for specifying phone or server.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    bits & bytes
    left coast USA
    In K-9, use above Settings path, substitute Folders for Fetching Mail, and see if Sent and Drafts look right to you.

What I see for each is a list of folders on server, including Sent and Drafts, with appropriate one selected.

I didn't have to do anything in K-9 to preserve my existing configuration, which was to store drafts and sent messages in Drafts and Sent folders on server.

I have a vague recollection that eons ago, long before K-9, I may have selected this, either directly on the server or via a different e-mail client, like Thunderbird.

7. omoanya

omoanya Member
    None

Jul 13, 2012
    One question -- is there an unread count indicator on K9 like on the android mail app ?

Its very useful to see if you have mail without opening the program