• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K9 eMail

Merc_uk

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
I have some questions i hope someone can help with. I have moved frrm iphone to android 2.2

1) How do you specify whether to use folders on the server or on the phone i.e. your sent items, trash etc

2) How do you select how often it checks for email.

3) What does poll folders and push folders mean/refer to.

tia

Is your e-mail account configured as IMAP or as POP?

With an IMAP account, mail is stored on the server and server pushes e-mail to client.

With a POP account, mail is downloaded to client (unless you elect to keep it on server) and client polls server (initiates mail checking).

Some mail services support both IMAP and POP protocols; others, just one or the other.

When you add an account to K-9, this is something you specify. To check after the fact, in K-9, look at Menu, More, Settings, Account Settings, Fetching Mail. You'll see either POP or IMAP.

Upvote 0
In K-9, use above Settings path, substitute Folders for Fetching Mail, and see if Sent and Drafts look right to you.

What I see for each is a list of folders on server, including Sent and Drafts, with appropriate one selected.

I didn't have to do anything in K-9 to preserve my existing configuration, which was to store drafts and sent messages in Drafts and Sent folders on server.

I have a vague recollection that eons ago, long before K-9, I may have selected this, either directly on the server or via a different e-mail client, like Thunderbird.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones