1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

K9-Mail - 522 Error on BT

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Ruaridh, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ruaridh

Ruaridh Lurker
    None

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi,

I am running K9-mail on a Samsung Galaxy SII, and it's been really great until recently I came upon this weird problem that I've drawn a complete blank with.

Basically everything works fine except that when I try to send an email over the mobile network using my BT Internet account, I get a "522 unsecured network or connection" error and the mail isn't sent. I have another email address which is POP 3 with a hosting provider and it works fine.

The odd thing is that if I turn on Wi-Fi and send via that it works - so I figured it must be a BT thing, but I tried turning off Wi-Fi on my iPad and sending via the mobile network with it and it worked fine.

Every other way of sending email with the account works fine: Outlook on my PC, the iPad, webmail, you name it...just when I try to send with K9 from my Galaxy over mobile network I get the 522 error.

I'm really only posting here in desperation in case anyone has heard of anything like this. I tried BT's email support but of course they just sent a useless machine-generated diagnosis that was nothing to do with the problem, and when I re-submitted the problem they've gone silent. I tried the K9-Mail wiki on Google groups but not much response.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Check the SMTP (outgoing email) settings. It may need a security setting. Check BT's site to see what your settings should be.

3. Ruaridh

Ruaridh Lurker
    None

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've tried all that - tried just about every setting I can find. Anyway surely that would mean it wouldn't be sending at all, either from Outlook or over Wi-Fi or whatever. I can't see that there would be any setting available to a user that would make a difference whether the traffic was over the mobile network or not....which is why the problem is so perplexing.
    Hopefully there's a really obvious answer and I just can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.

4. Ruaridh

Ruaridh Lurker
    None

Oct 16, 2013
    Just to let anyone reading this know that the solution was a Vodafone update on my phone which co-incidentally arrived this morning. I had probably been offered it before but had ignored it because it came with a lot of other updates for stuff I don't use, but there was one that's just "Vodafone Updates".
    It's worth noting that BT just ignored email requests for help with this issue sent via their new BT.com site - not very good.

5. gsuemnic

gsuemnic Newbie
    None

May 15, 2011
    What is the easiest way to tell K9 not to sync the accounts. It appears to be a global setting ?

6. gsuemnic

gsuemnic Newbie
    None

May 15, 2011
  7. Ruaridh

Ruaridh Lurker
    None

Oct 16, 2013
    I just wanted to update on this because my solution previously turned out to be just a co-incidence.
    It turns out the problem is down to BT. They eventually acknowledged that lots of people get this 522 error problem. They claim that when connecting over the mobile network their servers cannot identify which device is the "genuine" account?! They suggested not using a BT account with more than 2 devices, but haven't explained the criteria for what is or isn't acceptable. (Eg. they haven't answered my question on whether a phone using Wi-Fi and mobile network counts as 1 or 2 devices, or whether using webmail counts as a device connecting)
    The problem has gone away at the moment, and has been gone for about 24 hours but prior to that it came and went for quite a few days so I'm not really sure whether they've actually changed something or what's happening.