• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root KaosFroyo v32 is out

thank you for your reply, another question i have is that i have read about apps like "kill applications" do you need this? if you close an app is it closed or still running in the background?

I don't think that you do - I never run them. Kaos Froyo includes an app called Autokiller that will change the way that Android manages memory, giving you the power to leave more spare RAM (and fewer active background processes) without having to run a task killer.

Autokiller is also mentioned in that FAQ. THe developer recommends that you use the "Strict" preset; I do well with "Optimum" or "Moderate" myself.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if flash is available for KaosFroyo, and if so how do I go about getting it, I know with the XTR Roms there was a flash install.

If by flash you mean Adobe Flash, no, there is not. There may be at some point, there may not be - if I understand things correctly, Adobe does not officially support the ARMv6 processor in the Eris, though it seems that they provided a Flash install to HTC for Sense (or HTC figured out how to get it to run) that the 2.1 ROMs using the HTC frameworks were able to use.

Upvote 0
thank you for your reply, another question i have is that i have read about apps like "kill applications" do you need this? if you close an app is it closed or still running in the background?

Autokiller, not a task killer but a memory manager, is in Kaos ROMs after v30.

Yet another reason to not install a task or application killer.

Upvote 0
I am running v30, so do I need to do a full wipe and flash to go to v32?

I make it a point to always wipe dalvik and factory when going from one version of a ROM up to another, although the developers often note that is not necessary (usually with "ymmv"). ;)

When going from one completely different ROM to another I also include the sd:ext wipe.

Upvote 0
I am running v30, so do I need to do a full wipe and flash to go to v32?

I make it a point to always wipe dalvik and factory when going from one version of a ROM up to another, although the developers often note that is not necessary (usually with "ymmv"). ;)

I went from V28 to V30 to V31 to V32 with only a Dalvik wipe between each flash. You should be ok, but do a Nandroid backup first. If things do not work, you can always Nandroid restore, do a factory reset wipe, and reflash V32.

When going from one completely different ROM to another I also include the sd:ext wipe.

I believe that would only be needed if you actually had an ext partition to wipe. The Froyo ROMs will not work with an ext partition on your card, so this would be unnecessary with Kaos Froyo. Not harmful, but not required, either.

Upvote 0
I believe that would only be needed if you actually had an ext partition to wipe. The Froyo ROMs will not work with an ext partition on your card, so this would be unnecessary with Kaos Froyo. Not harmful, but not required, either.

Do I have to do anything special concerning my SD card to flash V32? I'm currently on xtrSENSE WITHOUT a2sd set up. I'd prefer not to setup a2sd because I'd like to be able to switch between 2.1 and 2.2 ROM's easier. Thanks for the help, doogald

Upvote 0
Do I have to do anything special concerning my SD card to flash V32? I'm currently on xtrSENSE WITHOUT a2sd set up. I'd prefer not to setup a2sd because I'd like to be able to switch between 2.1 and 2.2 ROM's easier. Thanks for the help, doogald

As long as you have NOT created the Ext partition on your SD card for 2.1 a2sd to work then you don't need to do anything to your card to flash this ROM.
Note that you could have created this partition, without actually turning on a2sd.

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
Thanks Frisco. You know I've always thought that xtr was it for me, but now my story has changed. KaosFroyo is my ROM of choice/default ROM. I actually have not explored other ROM's in a while. Who would have thought 528 would be smoother than 710.

Always good times on my Eris.

I, too, am keeping a close eye on 2.2 ROM development, as you can tell. ;)

Upvote 0
This won't wipe my SD card, will it?

Good question! Yes, it will, so the steps are:

- back up your SD card to your computer
- restart in recovery with the SD card in, and run the ext partition tool, setting both ext and swap to 0 bytes
- copy your files back to SD (or, at the very least, copy the froyo .zip file to SD.)
- wipe and flash the ROM

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
Good question! Yes, it will, so the steps are:

- back up your SD card to your computer
- restart in recovery with the SD card in, and run the ext partition tool, setting both ext and swap to 0 bytes
- copy your files back to SD (or, at the very least, copy the froyo .zip file to SD.)
- wipe and flash the ROM

I had a hunch. I think I may have changed my partition before I flashed xtrSENSE so I'll be sure to back it up. Out of curiousity, If I were to flash V32 WITH the partition not at 0 what would happen, if anything?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones