• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root KaosFroyo v38 is out

If MMS messages are important to you, I think that one of the 2.1 ROMs made from the HTC frameworks are the best bet. I'd strongly suggest xtrSENSE or xtrROM (depending on whether you want the Sense launcher; the former has it, the latter does not).

I'm using the ADW launcher now and I'm fine with that, does the xtrROM support that?

I really don't want to change anymore than I have to I finally have things set up the way I like them but yes the MMS messages are important:)

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Well, you should be all set; the answer is that ADW sure does work well with xtrROM.

Thanks! I do like the ADW and it has some extra controls and options I'm liking too. The camera still gets a little messed up and I have the camera 360 Pro - I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just the Eris in general because it's one of the issues I've hear about up here a bit and it doesn't seem to matter what ROM is being used.

I'll probably try another ROM in a little bit...I like being able to experiment :)

Upvote 0
I just flashed v 38 on my droid eris a couple days ago and I've noticed that my battery life got worse. Also I was wondering if kaos froyo will work with the lg ally?

I had the same issue until I installed CFS V6. I mentioned this in a previous post on this thread. The phone stopped heating up and I could use it all day without recharging. I even have the 1750mah battery and it was drained in a few hours until I installed CFS V6.

Upvote 0
If MMS messages are important to you, I think that one of the 2.1 ROMs made from the HTC frameworks are the best bet. I'd strongly suggest xtrSENSE or xtrROM (depending on whether you want the Sense launcher; the former has it, the latter does not).

I went ahead and put the xtrROM on my Eris and I like it but I'm finding out I can't use the Apps2sd application with it because it's a 2.1 . I really need to be able to move my apps (or what I can of them) to my SD card. Is there any other way to do that or do I need to flash a different ROM now? I don't mind doing that but it would still need to be something I can send MMS with.

Any further thoughts?
Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
I went ahead and put the xtrROM on my Eris and I like it but I'm finding out I can't use the Apps2sd application with it because it's a 2.1 . I really need to be able to move my apps (or what I can of them) to my SD card. Is there any other way to do that or do I need to flash a different ROM now? I don't mind doing that but it would still need to be something I can send MMS with.

Any further thoughts?
Thanks in advance :)

Absolutely, and, in fact, the apps2sd kludge on xtrROM (and xtrSENSE) is far more reliable than the official Froyo support (which often does not work right anyway.) Apps2sd on xtrROM moves all of your apps to SD - you set it up, and that's it - the apps are all automatically moved.

The xtrROM thread's first post gives all of the details and instructions that you need for apps2sd. [ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrROM4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc] - xda-developers

Apps2sd and Cache2sd:
I have revamped my implementation of apps2sd to use simpler and better organized scripts. For apps2sd to work you must first complete the listed prerequisites and it is a good idea to read through the "things you may want to know about apps2sd" section. Although it can provide gobs of space for apps, Apps2sd is not for everyone as it ties the stability of your phone to your SD card... If you do not need the space I would recommend that you keep the default of DISABLED; if you want to try you can always disable it again however there is always the chance of issues.

To enable/disable apps2sd and cache2sd just run the appropriate GScript and reboot your phone (Quick Boot makes this easy!).

Prerequisites
If you have not setup your SD card (for those new to Apps2sd) as per tkirton:
  1. BACKUP YOUR SD CARD TO YOUR COMPUTER. Can't stress this enough, as partitioning will wipe the entire card.
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. In Android System Recovery, select Partition sdcard
  4. In the Partition sdcard menu, select Partition SD
  5. Follow the instructions on the phone to partition your SD card. Most folks seem to recommend using the default values however you can go larger or smaller use values 256, 512,768,1024. You will also be asked to set a swap size; I stayed at 32mb (anticipate future ROM options to allow moving swap to sd)
  6. Once the partition is initially created you must then convert to ext3 - In the Partition sdcard menu, select SD:ext2 to ext3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  7. Press the back button on the phone to go back to the main menu.
  8. Your SD card is now ready to work with an Apps2sd supported ROM.
Things you may want to know about apps2sd
  • Bootloop protection is built in if your SD card is corrupted or is removed from the phone with Apps2sd enabled. Your apps will go away but your phone will boot
    wink.gif
  • There are 3 subsets of data associated to an app when it is installed and run on your phone.
    1) /data/app/ (and /data/app-private) - actual .apk files we think of as the applications that are not system apps (i.e. installed on /system/app)
    2) /data/data/ - the files produced by ALL apps (system apps and market apps) during installation that are used by the Android system to run the app
    3)/data/dalvik-cache/ - app cache file and work space for ALL apps (system apps and market apps).
  • From root explorer (or similar) you can browse to the /data/app OR the /system/sd/app folders and you will see the same thing, both will tell you how much space you have used and have left. The way apps2sd works is by "linking" the /system/sd/app to the /data/app folder so that the Android system thinks it is accessing the /data/app it is really at /system/sd/app.
  • I have seen using Apps2sd cause issues with some.zip flash updates as they try to write directly to the /data/app folder which no longer "physically" exists
  • If you get into a bootloop issue using apps2sd boot into amon_ra recovery and try one of the follow:
    1) from the Other menu option select the Fix apk uid mismatches
    2) from the Wipe menu option complete a)Wipe data/factory reset b)Wipe Dalvik-cache c)Wipe SD:ext partition
Apps2sd and Cache2sd Basics
  • When you run the apps2sd or cache2sd script, upon reboot, it will move ALL your existing apps or cache to the sd card ext partition and ALL future apps and cache will be installed and stored on the sd card ext partition.
  • Running the apps2internal or cache2internal script, upon reboot, it will move ALL your existing apps or cache to the /data block of internal storage and ALL futures apps and cache will be stored in internal storage.
  • With HTC based ROMs it is all or nothing and you cannot move individual apps like in the CyanogenMod ROMs.
  • So how do I know Apps2sd is on? - You can run the GScript report_system_stats which will give you a printout of what fileblocks are used as well as a

Reactions: mema2.1
Upvote 0
Everything Doogald said is (naturally) correct, however ... :)

I believe that xtrROM defaults to apps-to-cache on. Which means he's storing apps in a previously unused portion of cache memory. I suspect that if you look at the available space for internal memory you've got lots available (much more than the usual 30mb or so that the Eris normally has). If you MUST have apps2sd for some reason then do what Doogald said above. However if you just want your apps 'out of the way' then should already be happening.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, and, in fact, the apps2sd kludge on xtrROM (and xtrSENSE) is far more reliable than the official Froyo support (which often does not work right anyway.) Apps2sd on xtrROM moves all of your apps to SD - you set it up, and that's it - the apps are all automatically moved.

The xtrROM thread's first post gives all of the details and instructions that you need for apps2sd. [ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrROM4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc] - xda-developers

[/LIST]

Yes, it's a bit of a pain to partition your SD card for this, and it makes it more difficult to switch back to a Froyo ROM - since most of them will not mount the SD card if it has more than one partition. All that said, quite frankly, I think that apps2sd is unnecessary on xtrROM. xtrROM copies the app data cache out of the /data partition (where all of your third-party apps and data are installed) and moves them to the /cache partition. With all of my apps installed on CELB Froyo, I usually have about 20-40 MB free storage; on xtrROM, it is more like 70-80 MB.

my internal memory is saying I only have around 11 MB which is the only reason I was considering the apps2sd application. I will have to look into the first link you put up here and see if I can get it set up :)

Upvote 0
Everything Doogald said is (naturally) correct, however ... :)

I believe that xtrROM defaults to apps-to-cache on. Which means he's storing apps in a previously unused portion of cache memory. I suspect that if you look at the available space for internal memory you've got lots available (much more than the usual 30mb or so that the Eris normally has). If you MUST have apps2sd for some reason then do what Doogald said above. However if you just want your apps 'out of the way' then should already be happening.

Internal phone storage right now is at 19.74MB ??? I did read that the phone only sees that certain part of the memory so I'm wondering if I just ignore the messages I get that I'm running low on space? I really don't have a lot of apps on my phone and it's just frustrating to keep having to delete applications even after clearing cache on the ones that I can do that on, just to get rid of the message.
I will keep reading up on Zach's post and see if there is an answer there. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones