1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root KaosFroyo v39 Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by roni.c, Feb 16, 2011.

1. roni.c

roni.c Lurker

Please don't bite my head off if this has been addressed already-- I did look and haven't found anything. I have tried wiping the phone and reinstalling the ROM several times.

After installing KaosFroyo v39, my camera stopped working... it will freeze the screen but not save the picture. I'm also having the usual problem of switching between camera and gallery, but that's no big deal. I'm used to that.

Anyway, now all kinds of other weird things are happening, some of which I think might be hardware related?

I go to the home screen and the phone will jump to the left to my other screens. I scroll back to the home screen, it jumps to the left one again.

When I'm typing a message, the cursor will randomly jump around the text box-- sometimes to the beginning of the message, sometimes in the middle.

The trackball has stopped scrolling left.

Texts now take about 10 seconds or more to send. Sending texts often freezes the phone, and it has to be force closed.

My GPS is always about a mile off... I think I read something about GPS problems but never fixed it.

My browser stopped working and has to be force closed; I started using Opera and that has been working ok.

Does anyone have any insight into any of these problems? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I know for sure that the screen scrolling and cursor movement that you describe are sure signs of a bad trackball. You can try rolling it around on a clean sheet of printer paper for a few moments to see if that will clean it, but, if it does not, you'll need to get a new Eris.

At this point (and I know that KF fans will disagree, but...), I think that Kaos Froyo is outdated and people should be moving to a different Froyo ROM. If you read the KF thread at xda-developers, it always seems that there is something broken with new updates to the ROM that has to be fixed with some sort of special procedure, or a new version that comes out the next day. Since the ROM hasn't been updated in months, it may be time to move on to something else. This is entirely my opinion, of course.

At any rate, there is a FAQ for Kaos at this link, and the top entry mentions a fix for GPS issues.

I'm not sure about the rest. I do know that people who try to install Adobe Flash on Eris Froyo ROMs will get force closes in the browser, so if you did that, that's one explanation.

roni.c likes this.
  3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast

ya, kaos is great, but sadly he's been focusing on other things like the Fascinate, he's got 2 projects there from what i've seen (my wife has a fascinate). the trackball sounds like its starting to die, as it did on my wifes eris. if you have the insurance flash back to stock and call it in to get a new eris.

kaos is out dated, especially in v39 there are some things(GPS is broken which breaks anything related to GPS) you have to flash to make it work (check the forums). v39 is incomplete, go back to v37 (or was it 38) I believe that one was completely working fine. check the kaos forums and read back serveral page or search there, you'll find your answer.

more details:
    https://github.com/punk-kaos/KaosFroyo/wiki/kaosfroyo-faq

roni.c likes this.
  4. roni.c

roni.c Lurker

Thank you! I'll try v37 (v38 had those battery and camera problems). Do you have any suggestions for new ROMS to try? I don't have the insurance and my next upgrade isn't for several months...

5. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast

My personal favorite daily rom is now worksheds ginger bread aka gingershedbread 1.4

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944430
    Its surprisingly fast, seems better than froyo as far as speed and memory management. The bugs have almost all been fixed and its still RC0 (CM7 RC1 just came out today so there should be an even better version out soon).

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I've been running GSB as well - version 1.2 earlier this week, 1.4 installed last night. I agree that everything is working for me (and though I rarely do them, I successfully sent an MMS message while connected to WiFi today - it held the WiFi connection, started the 3G radio concurrently, sent the message and dropped the 3G connection - perfect.)

There are some things about the Gingerbread build I am not wild about - I prefer the white status bar of Froyo myself, and the status bar icons in GSB are a little on the small side for my middle-aged eyes.

If it's to be Froyo, my favorite Froyo ROM is CELB. FroShedYo is also excellent, either the themed or the vanilla version. I never used Tazz myself, but I am sure that it is also an excellent choice.

7. parannoyed

parannoyed Lurker

I had the camera issue is with v39 as well and fixed it by turning off autofocus (see https://github.com/punk-kaos/KaosFroyo/wiki/kaosfroyo-faq#camera)