• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root KD-4 update

Please do : I'm very interested :)

DISCLAIMER: Please bear in mind that my flashing didn't end up perfect and I'm still learning. That said, we're just gonna be copying some files so I think it's kinda harmles to the phone. Also note that I used the OXXKD3 version of KD4 so I can say it applies to this version. It worked for me, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily work for you, I post this because I think it's important that we share our experiences so we can learn from each other. Also I cannot guarantee that it will restore everything. In short what I mean is you do this under your own risk.

1. use the *#272* IMEI # and check your CSC is not listed there
2a. if it is then you're one lucky bastard, select it and click "install". Congrats! You're DONE!

2b. if not (Which is our case), go to /system folder and look for the file CSCFiles.txt

2. to make things easier copy it to your sdcard and then download it to a pc so you can watch it during the procedure.

That file lists all the files that the phone uses to install a new CSC when you enter the code *#272* IMEI # so basically what we have to do is go through the system folders looking for those files and back them up in the sdcard or to a pc (your choice). Also back up with Ti Backup.

3. Flash.

4. After flashing go to the /system/csc folder. Inside this folder we have subfolders named with the codes of all the CSC included in the CSC file. What we need to do is create a folder with our CSC name (my case it was CTI) and then put all the files we backed up earlier in it.

5. Take your backed up CSCFiles.txt and back it up again, we're gonna be modifying it (TIP: if you're using Root Explorer for this process RE makes a backup for you named CSCFiles.txt.bak).

6. Now we are going to tell android where the files are now so it can install them. Open your CSCFiles.txt for editing (note: I edited with Root Explorer, I just opened the file with windows Notepad to copy some sections for this post and it opened all in one long line, so it's probably not a good idea to edit it on windows) mine looked something like this

Code:
/system/media/bootani.qmg
/system/media/video/shutdown/shutdown.qmg
/system/media/audio/notifications/Claro.mp3
/system/CSCFiles.txt
/system/csc/contents.db
/system/csc/customer.xml
/system/csc/isnew_csc.txt
/system/csc/others.xml
/system/csc/sales_code.dat
/system/csc/feature.xml
/system/SW_Configuration.xml
/system/wallpaper/drawable/wallpaper_claro.jpg
/system/wallpaper/drawable/wallpaper_claro_small.jpg
/system/wallpaper/default_wallpaper/default_wallpaper.jpg
/system/app/LauncherMyfiles.apk
/system/app/YahooSearch.apk
/system/app/Plugger.apk
/system/app/MBO2_SMS_I5510L_CSBP_AMX_302.apk
/system/app/LauncherMessage.apk
/system/app/LauncherCamera.apk
/system/app/LauncherStk.apk
/system/app/CTI_Link.apk
/system/app/AMXNotification.apk
/system/app/LauncherCalendar.apk
/system/app/ASCR_SMS_i5510L_ML_AMX_301.apk
/system/app/LauncherContact.apk
/system/app/TopappMessage.apk
/system/app/LauncherMusicplayer.apk
/system/app/LauncherSettings.apk

you can tell there are some customized animations (with the operator logo) and sounds, then some bloatware and apps (which I didn't chose to restore) and then there are these files

Code:
/system/CSCFiles.txt
/system/csc/contents.db
/system/csc/customer.xml
/system/csc/isnew_csc.txt
/system/csc/others.xml
/system/csc/sales_code.dat
/system/csc/feature.xml
/system/SW_Configuration.xml

I only copied these files to the /system/csc/CTI folder we previously created and now comes the "tricky" part. You have to copy the files maintaining the path that the file says. i.e. the CSCFiles.txt goes into /system/csc/CTI/system/CSCFiles.txt then sales_code.dat goes in folder /system/csc/CTI/system/csc/sales_code.dat and so on. Then we have to edit our CSCFiles.txt to reflect these new paths so it will look something like this

Code:
/system/csc/CTI/system/CSCFiles.txt
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/contents.db
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/customer.xml
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/isnew_csc.txt
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/others.xml
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/sales_code.dat
/system/csc/CTI/system/csc/feature.xml
/system/csc/CTI/system/SW_Configuration.xml

7. Finally if we've done eveything right when we type *#272* IMEI # our CSC will be listed and we can chose it, select it.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING STEP WILL ERASE ALL YOUR PHONE DATA AND PERFORM A HARD RESET

8. Click "Install". The phone will shutdown.

9. Turn it on, an image of the little green droid with a box appears for a while and then the phone shuts down again.

10. Turn it on again and presto!! You have your phone flashed and with your CSC restored!! (and hopefuly everything works out fine).

Reactions: karandpr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones