• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keep Camera App Open Continuously?

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of problem and I’m hoping someone can offer a solution.

I have my phone (a Moto Droid Maxx Android smartphone, Running Android 4.4.4) mounted to my telescope so I can take some astrophotography of the moon.

I do this through the standard camera app. The camera looks through the eyepiece of the telescope and the phone essentially “sees” what you’d see if you were doing the same.

So, with the phone mounted to the telescope the phone essentially becomes a monitor as long as the camera app is open. Which brings me to my problem.

I can’t figure out how to keep the default camera app (or any third party camera app) open without regularly touching the screen.

I am not talking about the screen dimming or the screen turning off. I know I can adjust those settings in my phone’s settings menu. What I am talking about is the camera app itself simply closing after about 2 minutes of not touching the screen. Every camera I have downloaded seems to do the same thing.

I know there are several apps out there that “keep the screen on.” However, like I said, it not the screen turning off that is the problem. It is the camera app itself closing if you don’t touch the screen.

Ideally I’d like to get the telescope in focus and then use the phone as a monitor and then take pictures over maybe a 30min-1hr period. This means I’d like the screen to stay on and the app to stay open for that time period without touching the phone. (Touching the phone would move the alignment of the scope.)

Keeping the phone “on” is easy. My Bluetooth shutter remote can be registered as a “trusted device” and then the phone stays on while it is connected.

However, like I said, my issue is finding a camera app that stays open without you touching the screen.

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Bigray14719

The idea that the camera will overheat sounds wrong. You can record video for hours, run zoom meeting all day long, both use either camera continuously. So there is one such solution, record video or open a video call. I would love to hear of anyone who knows of a camera app that lets you control this though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones