1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Keep Inspire or Switch to Atrix

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TX123, Feb 18, 2011.

1. TX123

TX123 Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I'm new to the forums, but I recently bought the HTC inspire. Besides the battery and the dots on the screen, I really like like the phone. Do you guys think it will be worth the extra $100 if I return my inspire for the atrix?

Advertisement

2. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Personally, I'm switching to to the Atrix because I simply found the Inspire to be too big. As awesome as the screen is, the physical size of the phone was just too large for me. It didn't feel comfortable in my hand, and it wasn't as easy taking it in and out of my pocket. The Atrix is roughly the same size as the iPhone, and I always felt that iPhone was the perfect size.

Soulmanager11 likes this.
  3. diet

diet Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    im in the same boat...the only reason i bought the inspire is because i know i can return within 30 days if it didnt blew me away. overall i think the inspire is great, the little dots i hardly notice and doesnt bother me at all but the battery bugs the hell out of me. I knew that before getting the phone but I didnt know it was THAT bad....from all the reviews i've read seems like the atrix battery will last about twice as long...and comparing to the iphone 4 the inspire battery only lasts me less then a day to the iphone which lasted me about 1.5 days to 2 but if the battery is bugging you then i would say personally go with the atrix

edit: don't get me wrong im not in the inspire forum to bash on it...overall i think its a hell of a phone but realistically the battery is ridiculous...

4. kpenning

kpenning Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Let's see:

- Tegra 2 vs 1 GHz Snapdragon
    - 1 GB ram vs 512 MB ram
    - fingerprint scanner
    - qHD screen

5. Carbontech

Carbontech Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    La.
    "edit: don't get me wrong im not in the inspire forum to bash on it...overall i think its a hell of a phone but realistically the battery is ridiculous..."

I agree the Inspire is better than I thought it would be but,the battery leaves something to desired.

6. knappkd

knappkd Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    IT Consultant - developer
    PA
    I said this in the inspire forum and got ripped. I will say it again here... the battery blows!! So does the fm radio reception.

7. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    The first three of these differences should not, or at least minimally, impact your user experience. Android OS cannot really take advantage of multi-core processors right now. Even if Google releases 2.4 tomorrow, who knows when Motorola will push it to Motoblur phones. And I believe the Atrix can only use 512 of the RAM while in phone mode, the other 512 is for docking (I'm too lazy to cite a source for this now. But I vaguely remember reading this somewhere). And the fingerprint scanner is a nice little gizmo. Outside of the cool unlock-the-phone feature, I can't think of any apps. a person would use on a daily basis that needs a fingerprint scanner.

The 4" qHD screen and the enormous battery, however, would be something that'll impact the user experience. And don't forget the front-facing camera on the Atrix if you're a Skype, Fring, etc. user.

gcorliss likes this.
  8. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    This is something I haven't read before. And when I googled, I can't find a reputable blog that mentioned this other than a few threads in other forums. If you can find the link, much appreciated.

I can think of a few, bank apps or password apps. I'd like auto sign in on websites but don't because of security reason, with the fingerprint scanner, I won't be too afraid of doing this. Some ppl might want to have some of the photos/notes secured as well. I don't really see the fingerprint scanner too much of a gimick. My laptop has one and I find it very helpful.

gcorliss likes this.
  9. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    My understanding of how fingerprint scanning apps work is that when you swipe your finger, the app triggers the password that's stored inside the app. So while you don't have to physically re-type a bank password, it's still transmitted over the airwaves. And if you're on an open (unsecure) network, your password can still be intercepted.

I'll try to find the 512/1GB memory article. I think it was mentioned in one of the blog (Engadget/BGR/etc.) reviews.

10. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I know that, unless the site is encrypted. What I meant was that if a friend were to use my phone and went to the site that has the auto sign/log, which means name/pw already inputed, they can simply sign in to my account on the site. With the fingerprint scanner, you'd need to scan your fingerprint before the auto sign/log in is inputed. This is how my laptop works and I'm thinking it's the same idea if it's implemented for the Atrix.

hmm I don't remember reading that in any of the reviews :(:thinking:

11. zetetic13

zetetic13 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    Your understanding is correct--and saving the password on the device for unlocking with fingerprint scanners opens up a whole new can of worms. However, using a fingerprint scanner enables you to make a password that's very horrific--four character classes, 10-15 characters long, etc.--and not have to type it in on your phone every time using the symbolset pop-out and all. This method allows one to make a stronger password with little effort.

That's true with anything, even on a physical network (frames aren't encrypted to switches, and ARP cache poisoning can redirect packets to an attacking computer, making it effectively like an open access point). Granted, you need to be able to plug in to a physical network to get it.

The only true safeguard against stuff like this is encrypting socket or session traffic (SSL/TLS) or tunneling over an encrypted protocol (SSH/VPN/etc.). No credible bank or merchant provides a web interface without encryption and authentication... in the latter case, it violates the PCI standards and subjects those merchants to fines; in the former, it's horrible business.

I'm just saying this all to emphasize that security should be multi-layered, and hopefully those baking sites/merchants/facebook/etc. all are using encrypted connections, so you don't have to rely on the security of the network.

12. Kaiu

Kaiu Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    I too purchased an Inspire when it came out. I really like this phone compared to my Captivate but have run into a few problems.

First off connecting the phone to my car deck via USB, results in my phone stuck in a permanent reboot cycle. It didn't matter which setting I had my phone set for USB the result was the same. Second, I am unable to send or receive messages on the phone. Lastly, I too was aware of the small battery but was hoping it wouldn't drain as fast as it does.

I actually like the screen size, works fantastic with SWYPE and the audio quality/call quality was great.

However, due mainly to the USB not working with my car and the battery life I will be returning it to pick up the Atrix. I am hesitant though with this decision because Motorola likes to lockdown their phones on a carrier that also doesn't like user freedom with android. I am confidant that the people over at xda will work something out though.

13. Donatron

None

Jun 18, 2010
    The fanbois over at the Inspire forums are a whole other breed. They're worse than the apple guys. I got fed up with them and stopped posting there. And this was before I planned to switch to the Atrix.

14. Zonker1

Zonker1 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    It's like a cult over there. I am convinced the ringleader is either an HTC employee, or is out of his mind.

I am really having a hard time deciding whether to keep the Inspire or move to the Atrix. I really love the screen size of the Atrix. But the battery life really is not good. My battery has improved since Sunday, but it still is not even decent.

As far as the Atrix goes, I don't care if the bootloader is locked down tight. I had more than enough flashing ROMs and modems on the Captivate to last me a lifetime. I have no desire to root my Inspire, so I am sure I will feel the same with the Atrix.

For me I think it comes down to the 4.3 screen with sense 2 v. a dual core with better battery life. I am hoping after I get a chance to play with the Atrix, the decision will become obvious one way or the other.

15. Donatron

None

Jun 18, 2010
    That Andrea person? I'm thoroughly convinced as well.

16. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Ringleader..hmm...I wonder if it's the same person I'm thinking of, lol. Usually members get a bit heated when you tell them that the phone has issues when they just bought it and are in the honeymoon stage. This is especially true if they themselves are not experiencing these issues or don't see them as issues.

17. Zonker1

Zonker1 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm sure we are thinking of the same person lol.

Regardless, I still can't figure out why someone would care if anyone else likes a specific phone or not.

Oh well, can't wait to get a chance to play around with an Atrix. The 22nd can't come soon enough.

18. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Bay Area, ca
    The Atrix is worth the exchange if you think you will use all the extras it has. Are you a heavy 3D gamer? do you do a lot of video chatting? Will you be using the laptop or HD dock? Do you prefer the larger screen or smaller screen? Do you have faith in motorola?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself. In all honesty (even though its a pain), you can get the Atrix, and if you start to miss the inspire you can always sell the atrix, buy the inspire, and have enough money in your pocket to take you and your lovely lady out for a nice dinner.

kstruck likes this.
  19. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Android Expert
    None

Aug 9, 2009
    CA
    Anandtech did some testing and found out that 2.2 can indeed take advantage of the second processor.

20. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I like the Inspire and I was initially going to do the 30 day test drive and get the Atrix but I think I'll just go ahead and buy the Atrix off contract and keep both phones.

21. ROCer

ROCer Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Electrical Technician
    Upstate NY
    When the Atrix is released, play with a live Atrix at an AT&T for a bit. Go through the Motoblur Menus, load apps, load/play a couple games, hold it in your hands, etc. That should make your decision easier.

Whether you get the Atrix or stick with your Inspire, hope you enjoy your new phone:)

22. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Yea, unless the Atrix sorely disappoints after a hands on, I won't get it but I'm sure it will be a great device. The reason I plan on getting both is because I can't imagine parting ways with the Inspire's gorgeous 4.3" screen and the all-metal casing body. Once you hold this phone you can feel the quality.

23. Simba501

Simba501 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    The Atrix is obviously the superior, spec-wise, but the Inspire is no slouch either. The Inspire actually has 768mb ram.

The Sense experience is also significant. Something that the Atrix can't offer.

I, however, will be picking up an Atrix and using two devices for a while. At some point, I suppose I'll get rid of one of them. But I can't see that happening. I enjoy Sense too much and I know I can't resist the Atrix's specs.

24. Donatron

None

Jun 18, 2010
    I remember somebody else saying that they plan on keeping both phones. So how does that work? Do you just alternate the phones every morning?

25. TX123

TX123 Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll will probably wait for user reviews for the atrix before I make my final decision.