• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep Inspire or Switch to Atrix

I remember somebody else saying that they plan on keeping both phones. So how does that work? Do you just alternate the phones every morning?

Not every morning, that'd be too much IMO. Instead, I'll be using the Atrix on wifi whenever possible. I'll probably switch maybe once a week (or once every 2 weeks); somewhere along those lines.

Upvote 0
The first three of these differences should not, or at least minimally, impact your user experience. Android OS cannot really take advantage of multi-core processors right now. Even if Google releases 2.4 tomorrow, who knows when Motorola will push it to Motoblur phones. And I believe the Atrix can only use 512 of the RAM while in phone mode, the other 512 is for docking (I'm too lazy to cite a source for this now. But I vaguely remember reading this somewhere).

If it can only use 512mb of ram, this would be a deal breaker for me. Aside from the anticipated gain in battery life, the inspire will be just as good as the Atrix. The atrix won't be significantly faster, imo and the inspire has 768mb of ram, and Sense (which I find to be wonderful).

Upvote 0
The fanbois over at the Inspire forums are a whole other breed. They're worse than the apple guys. I got fed up with them and stopped posting there. And this was before I planned to switch to the Atrix.
Good Lord, it's everywhere, man. "Our religion/phone is better than their religion/phone, right? Amen brother!" It's all human nature. Please restrain from the "us-vs-them" thing because all it does is make it clear you're in a closed-door church of your own. Please, just... don't.

Upvote 0
The Atrix is worth the exchange if you think you will use all the extras it has. Are you a heavy 3D gamer? do you do a lot of video chatting? Will you be using the laptop or HD dock? Do you prefer the larger screen or smaller screen? Do you have faith in motorola?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself. In all honesty (even though its a pain), you can get the Atrix, and if you start to miss the inspire you can always sell the atrix, buy the inspire, and have enough money in your pocket to take you and your lovely lady out for a nice dinner.

I am exchanging the Inspire because it is slightly too big for me. As I said in several posts before it was released, I was very concerned with the battery size. I knew a 1230mah battery mixed with a 4.3" display would not be good. I gave the phone the benefit of a doubt and picked one up. I was right. I just want a phone I can unplug at 630am and use till bedtime without having to worry about a charger. With the inspire I am constantly looking at the battery and worrying. Has never lasted past 8pm and I am not a heavy user. I don't care about rooting/flashing (been there done that).

The Atrix is better sized, longer battery and fast phone with a great display. Could care less about the docks. I will be exchanging my Inspire for $50 more at the Shack on Tuesday.

Upvote 0
Good Lord, it's everywhere, man. "Our religion/phone is better than their religion/phone, right? Amen brother!" It's all human nature. Please restrain from the "us-vs-them" thing because all it does is make it clear you're in a closed-door church of your own. Please, just... don't.

What kinda crack you smokin'? lol

Just because that kind of behavior exists in other aspects of society, doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong by pointing out that a particular group takes it to an irrational level. I have no idea why you're trying to justify their behavior, and then try to turn it around on me as if I'm the one who's out of line. And if you read the posts from other people in this thread, I'm not the only one who's noticed it. It was never about "us vs them". It was about pointing out a pattern of behavior that made that forum a hostile environment for anybody who doesn't have a huge boner for that phone.

Reactions: Soulmanager11
Upvote 0
what kinda crack you smokin'? Lol

just because that kind of behavior exists in other aspects of society, doesn't mean i'm doing anything wrong by pointing out that a particular group takes it to an irrational level. I have no idea why you're trying to justify their behavior, and then try to turn it around on me as if i'm the one who's out of line. And if you read the posts from other people in this thread, i'm not the only one who's noticed it. It was never about "us vs them". It was about pointing out a pattern of behavior that made that forum a hostile environment for anybody who doesn't have a huge boner for that phone.

qft

Upvote 0
The first three of these differences should not, or at least minimally, impact your user experience. Android OS cannot really take advantage of multi-core processors right now. Even if Google releases 2.4 tomorrow, who knows when Motorola will push it to Motoblur phones. And I believe the Atrix can only use 512 of the RAM while in phone mode, the other 512 is for docking (I'm too lazy to cite a source for this now. But I vaguely remember reading this somewhere). And the fingerprint scanner is a nice little gizmo. Outside of the cool unlock-the-phone feature, I can't think of any apps. a person would use on a daily basis that needs a fingerprint scanner.

Dude you're like saying a bunch of stuff in here with no proof or source link and then you even have the nerves to say you're to lazy to cite a source. In the words of Sunday NFL Countdown, C'mon man. You shouldn't make statements as being fact if you don't have proof or a source link.

Upvote 0
ok my first post here.

i had the inspire for less than a week now and i did find myself not really inspire with this garbage phone..

first, the size. i am 6'1" and have a decent size hand but the size is enormous! my hand got really tired using it in less than 5minutes.

second, the dotted pixel is just wrong.

third, ordinary screen makes me sick when browsing internet. quite dull...

fourth, the notification sound is just terrible. and the loudspeaker is not loud.

and last but not the least... what a joke on the battery..

ill go ahead and get the matrix tomorrow. i don't care for the $35 restocking fee.

at&t will match the radioshack price for $149.99

Upvote 0
ok my first post here.

i had the inspire for less than a week now and i did find myself not really inspire with this garbage phone..

first, the size. i am 6'1" and have a decent size hand but the size is enormous! my hand got really tired using it in less than 5minutes.

fourth, the notification sound is just terrible. and the loudspeaker is not loud.

ill go ahead and get the matrix tomorrow. i don't care for the $35 restocking fee.

Garbage phone, quite the opposite actually.

Why are the pixels on the phone annoying to you?

Just because the screen makes you personally sick doesn't mean other won't like it.

Make an organized list of the things you don't like, don't just slam a perfectly good device just because you like the Atrix better. Sounds like you should have done your own research and actually gone to the store and checked the Inspire out before buying it. You would have noticed all the things you listed if you held the phone for 10 minutes in the store instead of just buying it and expecting it to live up to your obviously unreachable expectations.

Reactions: Simba501
Upvote 0
ok my first post here.

I have to agree with you to a lesser extent. I too am gonna get the atrix. Does at&t really price match?

Upvote 0
I am getting a new phone and cant decide between the atrix or inspire. I love the atrix's specs, the ran, extra Ghz, (the finger scanner is cool, but non-essential) but what makes me want the inspire most of all is the extra 3 megapixels (as well as the sense rather than motoblur).
So the question is: are those extra 3 megapixels worth it?

Upvote 0
Picture quality is not measured in megapixels unfortunately. In Comparing my Atrix and my Inspire on identical (close as I can get being human) pictures, I find the Atrix to be sharper and more detailed than the Inspire. Color saturation and purity are entirely different discussions though.

As for Sense vs Motoblur, that's purely subjective. But, I find Sense to be MUCH more polished than Motoblur. Since I use LauncherPro on my Atrix, it's really a moot point for me.

Upvote 0
I am getting a new phone and cant decide between the atrix or inspire. I love the atrix's specs, the ran, extra Ghz, (the finger scanner is cool, but non-essential) but what makes me want the inspire most of all is the extra 3 megapixels (as well as the sense rather than motoblur).
So the question is: are those extra 3 megapixels worth it?

Hmmm might be. you should go into best buy or att and test both out so you will know for sure. Motoblur isn't bad when you throw on launcher pro + which has the sense widgets. if the camera is the game changer, I found the camera lense to be OK. It suffice my need but I did feel that the camera on my nexus one was better.

I really love the finger print scanner. I don't like entering passwords every couple of minutes so I had the swipe unlock. this Wasn't very secure as you can see the finger print trace. with the scanner,i get my security without the hassle.

Upvote 0
I had the atrix on trial (and the iphone 4) and ended up with the Inspire. I like the Inspire so much better.

The dual core and other 'future' possibilites of the atrix sound good on paper, but I had too many problems with the phone and I just did not feel like it was worth the price. It is a great phone, but again, not worth the price. I also did not like motoblur AT ALL. I felt like I was installing widgets and launchers and text apps and everything I could in find in the market to get rid of motoblur. I like the inspire just how it is and still have so many options to customize and change things.

As for speed....The Atrix is fast, but I have not noticed much - if any - difference with my inspire. I am not a big gamer, but do a lot on my phone. I actually design websites and handle marketing for businesses for a living so a good camera and video camera that would provide decent quality is important to me. The pics from the atrix were ok, but much better on the inspire in my opinion. Also, for some reason, I could never send or upload videos from the atrix.

Good luck with deciding what phone is best for you! They all have the pluses and minuses.

Upvote 0
I am actually trading my inspire for an atrix. For me I do not like the size of the inspire. Its just to big and I can c myself dropping it some day. Also the screen really sucks in the sun. I cannot c anything on the screen and even in my car its hard to c. There is so much glare. I found someone who does not like his atrix so I will be swapping with him and saving 120 bucks. Atrix will be fine for me till the new iphone comes out lol

Upvote 0
Yeah its really up to you..go play with the atrix and see if you like it..heres my take on both phones..

i bought the atrix first thinking it was the best since it had dual core, lots of mem, big batt, so called qhd screen, and finger printreader.

Well my first atrix battery was horrible..didnt last 12 hours with moderate use and while phone was on stand by over night..battery would drain drastically, the speed of the phone was laggy and choppy with using pinch to zoom..everyone says its due to motoblur. the qhd screen was just ok..nothing great.. The camera was just ok and the phone rebooted on me. So i got a second atrix and battery was night and day..much better and no drain on standby but still not that great considering its a 1900mah..but the phone was still laggy and choppy, wasnt fluid and it rebooted on me twice.

So i switched to the inspire and this phone is everything atrix is not..very fluid, no lag, screen res is about the same and the 4.3 is awesome, camera was much better..ui and sharpness of pics and videos..its like night and day for me. The battery lasts me literally 14hrs for me..with moderate use. inspire battery is about the same if not better than the atrix. Someone mentioned somewere..its like having a car with a large gas tank with poor gas mileage where the inspire has a small gas tank with great gas mileage.

But play with both phones..i like motorolas and hope they come out with something cool soon..but with all the new phones coming out like samsung infuse and galaxy s ll, LG thrill, and even the evo 3d for sprint..this summers is going to be awesome. But for now im happy with my inspire and keeping it until the infuse comes out.

Upvote 0
Yes. I really is up to you. I have both and I am returning the Inspire. Don't get me wrong the Inspire is a great phone and I have no complaints about it. I just don't like the size of the phone in my hand. The Atrix is a great phone too. I have not had any trouble with it nor have I had any lag except on the lock screen which doesn't bother me. I also like Motoblur. So get whichever one works best for you after using them in the store.

Upvote 0
So I actually found a guy who had the Atrix and he hated the small screen. So he offered a straight trade for my Inspire.. I have to say I was worried because I know alot of people were unhappy with the atrix.. But I have only had it for a day and I love the phone. The inspire was just to big, the screen sucked, It was nice inside but in a car or outside I could not c shit except for those stupid ass dots lol.. I found the atrix to be much faster the screen resolution is much better. It does not feel like u have a brick in ur pocket.. I downloaded like ten apps at the same time and it had no problems/no lag and was super fast. I am a long time iphone user went to android and could not find a phone that made me happy, almost went back to iphone,ran across this deal and figured I would try one more android phone.. Well its worth it and its way better than the inspire IMO

Upvote 0
If it can only use 512mb of ram, this would be a deal breaker for me. Aside from the anticipated gain in battery life, the inspire will be just as good as the Atrix. The atrix won't be significantly faster, imo and the inspire has 768mb of ram, and Sense (which I find to be wonderful).

This is BS. The Atrix has 1GB of RAM period. Not 512 for the phone +512 for a lapdock that a small percentage of owners will ever purchase.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones