• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keep losing my data connection.

I've had the same prob last week, spend over a hour last friday with a tech and was gonna take it to a repair center monday but it started working again....but as I type this message it's happened all over again....never had this issue before cl14

Was your battery low by any chance? Idk if it was just me, but it seemed to be happening when my battery started to get low but when I started charging it, it seemed to start working again.

Either way, this has to be one of the most annoying things that can happen. Because you lose your internet connection which kills sending or receiving texts AND you somehow can't call? Lol.

Upvote 0
Ummm, yeah... I have that problem when the battery indicator flashes red, the screen goes blank and I can't make calls or anything. It's like the phone just locks up? lol :)

Seriously though, the phone is definitely buggy. There's no question about that. Sprint Reps say it's buggy, customers say its buggy, even Samsung has said there are issues that they are working on (which is probably why the update is taking 'longer than expected) so hopefully, as it was referred to in BlackBerry World... They are working on the "Gold Code" for this thing.

One where the radio will work well, internet works faster, and less crashes occur in the software.

Upvote 0
Either way, this has to be one of the most annoying things that can happen. Because you lose your internet connection which kills sending or receiving texts AND you somehow can't call? Lol.
Losing your internet connection should have no impact on sending and receiving texts. They don't use data unless they are an MMS message.

If you are losing the ability to send texts, then it is more than just your data connection that is at fault.

I had these problems myself after Sprint flashed my phone with the update on the day I bought it. I tried some custom kernels, but ended up re-flashing to the CL14 update once Sprint released it last Friday. Since then I have had no connectivity issues. The only thing different on my phone is that I have no battery widget, no beautiful widgets, no betterkeyboard, and I did not reinstall OpenHome.

Upvote 0
LOL @ zcarman

Losing your internet connection should have no impact on sending and receiving texts. They don't use data unless they are an MMS message.

If you are losing the ability to send texts, then it is more than just your data connection that is at fault.

I had these problems myself after Sprint flashed my phone with the update on the day I bought it. I tried some custom kernels, but ended up re-flashing to the CL14 update once Sprint released it last Friday. Since then I have had no connectivity issues. The only thing different on my phone is that I have no battery widget, no beautiful widgets, no betterkeyboard, and I did not reinstall OpenHome.

Exactly what I was thinking, but somehow I wasn't able to receive or send texts while my phone was having one of these episodes. A "gold code" sounds good to me.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I was thinking, but somehow I wasn't able to receive or send texts while my phone was having one of these episodes. A "gold code" sounds good to me.

You might have actually had a full network drop - not unheard of at this point with the Moment, usually just a battery pull or a power cycle and it finds the network again.

CL14 is supposed to fix most of this (pre-installed on mine), and actually after turning off the Google Voice Widget (toggle) it hasn't happened to me...

Sometimes software doesn't take the first time. Just download a clean CL14, and install again.

Upvote 0
You might have actually had a full network drop - not unheard of at this point with the Moment, usually just a battery pull or a power cycle and it finds the network again.

CL14 is supposed to fix most of this (pre-installed on mine), and actually after turning off the Google Voice Widget (toggle) it hasn't happened to me...

Sometimes software doesn't take the first time. Just download a clean CL14, and install again.
Actually, you might be onto something with your GV reference. I never used the widget, but I was using GV for my voicemail. I switched back to the included visual voicemail and set GV to never auto-update and as I have said, I don't have these connectivity issues any more.

Upvote 0
Actually, you might be onto something with your GV reference. I never used the widget, but I was using GV for my voicemail. I switched back to the included visual voicemail and set GV to never auto-update and as I have said, I don't have these connectivity issues any more.

Sorry I'm new to this but what is this Google voice? It comes with the phone or is it an app?

Upvote 0
Hm ok guess it can't be my problem if I don't have it. On a side note when I get this network loss I just switch airplane mode on and off and it picks up the network again. Idk if this is common knowledge but its quicker than powering on/off and seens to be fixing the problem.

to clarify this works only for airplane mode glitch. it does not work if you lose data connection and see the up arrow on the evdo icon lit. when this happens on my phone airplane mode setting is grayed out when you access it through the end call button shortcut. if you access it through the settings it lets you turn it on or off, but the effect in null. only way to fix the issue is the reset the phone.

Upvote 0
I have stopped auto sync on gmail, voice, calendar. I did not have to restart the phone yet today.

that's only a temporary fix if you don't use data very much. this happens when u use the data connection for long period of time like using the web browser. i wonder if everyone who upgraded to cl14 is getting this or is it only a select few like myself.

Upvote 0
that's only a temporary fix if you don't use data very much. this happens when u use the data connection for long period of time like using the web browser. i wonder if everyone who upgraded to cl14 is getting this or is it only a select few like myself.

No, this happens to me too. Pre-CL14, I couldn't even keep Gmail, Calendar and Contacts sync on b/c I'd have to restart my phone constantly.
Post-CL14, Gmail sync works fine, but I don't keep Contacts and Calendar sync checked.
Data lockup happens prob only once a week now and has only happened recently while downloading a large file or multiple apps with data running in the background.
I forgot if I mentioned this here, but what seems to work most of the time-- If I think it's going to lock up-- if I start to get a solid up or down arrow next to EV, I'll kill any data using background services, hopefully the arrow disappears, then I go into airplane mode and back out. Kinda bs, but it's been working lately.

Upvote 0
Same issues here. It has been about as frequent both before CL14, and since CL14 (which I applied about 10 days ago).

Up until late last week, once I lost data/network (the tell-tale send icon only, and everything else dead), I would soon get a message the process com.samsung.internal encountered an error and needed to close. Power-cycling and/or reseating the battery were all I could do to get back to normal.

Hoping against hope for an easy fix, I called Sprint. Predictably, this is not in their list of known issues, but they did some things to re-provision data on my phone. 45 minutes later, I was back to square one. No more errors about com.samsung.internal crashing, but still the (too frequent) loss of data.

I have un-installed Google Voice (never used it anyway), and I run limited widgets. Still, the problem persists. It's at least a once-a-day need to reboot.

Love the phone, but this issue is really disappointing. If 2.1 doesn't solve the problem, I'm going to have to push Sprint to exchange the phone for another model.

In another thread (on another board, I think), I saw someone suggest that, if you can get your hands on your MSL code, you can set the phone to EVDO only. He claims that it solved his problem. I have not tried this for myself, so I can't vouch for his claims (nor do I know whether this causes any other ill effects)...but if someone is feeling adventurous and wants to try it out, I'd be curious to see if it's worth chasing down the MSL.

Upvote 0
In another thread (on another board, I think), I saw someone suggest that, if you can get your hands on your MSL code, you can set the phone to EVDO only. He claims that it solved his problem. I have not tried this for myself, so I can't vouch for his claims (nor do I know whether this causes any other ill effects)...but if someone is feeling adventurous and wants to try it out, I'd be curious to see if it's worth chasing down the MSL.
I will try that out and see what happens...

Upvote 0
From what I know about this problem it's related to Sprint/Sammy essentially hacking in CDMA support to Android 1.5 since it doesn't have native support for it. Basically when it happens it's equivalent to airplane mode but it's really a complete radio lockup. Android 2.1 has baked-in support for CDMA so it should fix this problem. No promises but highly likely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones