• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep losing network access

mccordm

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
When I am home or at gfs house, I have no problem using wifi to connect to the Internet. But when I am away from those places, I frequently get the "You are offline" notice when I try to access the Internet. I have both wifi and mobile network enabled, so if there is no wifi, it should automatically connect to the mobile network, right? I can still make/receive calls and texts, so why can't I access the Internet? If I restart my phone, then it works for awhile, but then it always reverts to not accessing the Internet again.

If you are, for example, in the car and your WiFi is not anywhere near you, your phone will connect to your mobile network (4G). But unless you aren't paying for a mobile data plan or you have rooted and modified your phone software incorrectly, I don't see any other reason why your phone doesn't switch to mobile data after losing WiFi connection. Here are my questions in an effort to help solve your problem.

1) Have you tried or successfully rooted your phone.
2) Do you have an active mobile data plan
3) Do you drop your phone alot? If so, that can lead to internal hardware damage, specifically to your situation, to the WiFi and cellular data chip.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
If you are, for example, in the car and your WiFi is not anywhere near you, your phone will connect to your mobile network (4G). But unless you aren't paying for a mobile data plan or you have rooted and modified your phone software incorrectly, I don't see any other reason why your phone doesn't switch to mobile data after losing WiFi connection. Here are my questions in an effort to help solve your problem.

1) Have you tried or successfully rooted your phone.
2) Do you have an active mobile data plan
3) Do you drop your phone alot? If so, that can lead to internal hardware damage, specifically to your situation, to the WiFi and cellular data chip.

Cheers!
1) No -- have never rooted a phone, nor tried to
2) Yes, I have T-Mobile unlimited
3) Haven't dropped this one yet. Dropped my old LG V-10 two or three times when I had that, but I always use pretty decent cases. My phones are usually pristine -- just like they came out of the box -- when I switch to a new one. All except my Note 3, which I dropped into the toilet. LOL... And even that still worked, just had one of those moisture-detector stickers triggered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones