1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Keep my Droid Charge or switch to Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mr. Glass, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mr. Glass

Mr. Glass Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Hello Everyone,

I figured I'd ask this here as the Droid Charge sub-forum will likely be biased.

I am on my 14th day with the Samsung Droid Charge (last day to return) and am trying to decide whether to keep it or switch to a Thunderbolt or LG Revolution.

I like the Super AMOLED screen, 1600mAh battery, and especially the light weight, but am questioning the reliability vs. an HTC product and have recently been getting overheating errors when using a (Verizon branded) car charger.

I just wanted to get thoughts on the HTC side of things.

-Glass

Advertisement

2. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Both are excellent. The bolt is not without its own maddening issues. I'd just stay with what you've got unless you hate touchwize.

3. Ezduzit08

Ezduzit08 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    I have a thunderbolt for sale!

4. Herschey

Herschey Lurker
    None

May 12, 2011
    I am in my second month with Verizon (after being a US Cell customer for many years) and started off with the Thunderbolt. My first TB had a weird issue where it wouldn't lock on the nearest tower. My wife and son who have the incredible and the X would have a perfect signal and mine would have none. Using the open signal app it showed that we weren't on the same towers. I was given a new phone in exchange. That one was working fine until the update and then the random reboots started. I lost a couple of work calls in the process and wasn't too happy. I called and Verizon sent me a Charge in exchange. I have 5 days to return my TB so I kept it and used the Charge over the weekend.

Here are my thoughts based on the common items that are brought up between the two:

Screen: Charge wins here. However, it isn't by much.

Button Layout: At first it wasn't that big of a deal to "push" the home key but the more I used it 1 handed the more it became a pain in the rear. Also having the power button on the side just is taking a long time to get used to. TBolt wins here.

Battery: Charge wins here but again, not by much. It isn't as if with normal usage throughout the day that it is considerably longer. I was fully charged at 6:30 am this morning and have 32% left at 2:30 pm on the Charge.

Weight: The Charge wins here. My personal negative with the TBolt is the weight. I am not a belt clip type of guy. I have always carried my phones in my pocket.

UI: I left this one for last because it turns out after using the Charge for 4 days I have determined that it doesn't matter what is above if the phone doesn't operate correctly. It really doesn't matter if the screen looks nice or the battery lasts a little longer. With the Charge I can not believe the lag time. Not only switching between screens but the delay in answering or dialing was unbearable for me. I tried LPP and Go Launcher ex. Go Launcher ex was better than LPP but there were still lags. This was the deal breaker for me to switch back to the TBolt.

Now keep in mind that all of the above opinions come from a non-tech savy 40 year old guy who uses a non-rooted phone and tries to tweak things when I read about certain apps on these sites. I had to weigh in my head the downfalls of the restarting vs. the delay. I determined that I would rather have a direct pain once or twice every couple of days than a light frustration ever time I tried to use my phone. Both are hoping on updated curing the issues and after having bad luck with previous Samsungs I am putting more faith in HTC.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  5. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I agree with Austin, they are both great devices. I would be thrilled to have either but I have a real sweet spot for HTC and Sense and I don't care for TouchWiz much, therefor the T-Bolt wins in my book.

The only two concerns I have would be the screen on the T-Bolt looks really nice but cant really compete with your Super AMOLED plus. Is that going to be a problem for you? The other concern would be do you prefer TouchWiz or Sense UI, or it doesn't matter because you use a third party launcher anyways??

Let us know what you decide :)

GMB

6. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    OFL
    Regarding AMOLED, when people choose a non-AMOLED phone due to the display, they usually say that AMOLED looks unnaturally oversaturated. If you like the look, including in photos and videos, then stay with a Samsung. HTC will seem cool/flat, but people who prefer it think it is more natural.

7. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Oct 14, 2009
    I have had both. Sold my TB and THREE batteries. I needed 3 to make it through my long work days. Love the charge. I could not stand the brick in my pocket with the TB. The charge is light, bright and has much better battery life. I use go launcher and dolphin browser which has minimized any lag. I would rather have occasional lag, which may get fixed with an update, than having to carry 3 batteries and a brick. Everyone needs to evaluate what is important to them.

8. ianmma

ianmma Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    All I know is my TB has been incredibly disappointing. LAG LAG LAG!!! Battery life is terrible but that's nothing new. Thinking about buying a battery set I just got for a different phone for my TB though. That should fix the battery problem real quick.

9. CJeep

CJeep Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Connecticut
    While anyone can voice an opinion, ianmma, if you are using the work "lag" and Thunderbolt in the same sentence, you have defective unit or something else going on. This phone FLYS, and I have never heard anyone else complain about the speed.

10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I would have to agree. My iPhone was by no means slow but the ThunderBolt simply screams compared to it. It still surprises me by how fast it is when I flip through the home screens or open menus.

GMB