1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Keep the sgt or exchange for zoom 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alackman, Nov 6, 2011.

1. alackman

alackman Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    Ok, so currently im on my 3rd tab due to both previous ones getting the oil slick on the screens. Now either I'm unlucky, doing something wrong, or there is something really wrong with the sgt screen as I have now got the same oil slick appear on the screen again. Pcworld have been great and just swyped them over without any fuss. I'm wondering what to do now though...I'm sure I could go back in and swap it again but is this going to happen again and again. Now, I enjoy customising like the next man but not in today whet I have to reset up the screens etc each time. Now my question to you really is about the xoom 2 out in uk in a few weeks, should I just take home one of these and stay away from samsung or is there an alternative? Apart from this issue I am loving my sgt.

I don't know much about the original xoom other than I didn't want it when it originally came out, I was happy to wait for the sgt which I got on day 1 of launch.

I will post this in the xoom forum also to get their perspective.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

(yes I know I misspelt xoom in the title but I can't change this.)

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    There are lots of happy Tab users out there, far more than unhappy ones. I have the 3G version and it's great, no rings/oil slick or any other screen issues (no issues at all actually).

If you're happy with the Tab, I would take it back and get another one. I'm sure they've overcome this issue with newer versions by now.

Or if you like the Xoom 2, hold out for it instead. It's up to you...but from what I've seen, the Xoom 2 is catching up to what we already have rather than innovating and improving a lot. Personally the only thing I like about the newer Xoom is the splash guard coating. Beyond that it doesn't offer anything I want over the Samsung Tab.

YMMV.
    :D

alackman likes this.
  3. alackman

None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    Screen issue aside, I am very happy with it. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the xoom 2 is like when it comes out...have a play in the shop etc.

4. stefnee

stefnee Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    I originally went to purchase the 32GB Zoom. It was the same price as the 16BG SGT. When the saleperson opened the cabinet, they had NO unopened packages, but eight returned Zooms. He did not know why they were returned, but eight was enough for me to go with the SGT. It cost me $100 more for the 32gb version. But no complaints at all.

5. alackman

None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    I get that about the xoom and this is why I got the sgt, however I can't keep swyping it for a new one every month and this oil thing on the extern looks awfull. The xoom 2 has just been released over in the uk and I think I will have a look at it in the real before I decide.

6. StreakTheQuad

StreakTheQuad Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Samsung will replace your screen. It takes about two weeks. You need to call customer service on their website to set it up. I had a big oil slick but its gone now. The new screen has a Samsung logo o n the bottom, just above the charging port.

7. alackman

None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    All three of them have had the logo on them. I do like the sgt in every other way. I'm hoping that as the xoom 2 is newer, it should come with better specs, I've tried to Google the sgt vs xoom 2 but there is nothing on the xoom 2 really, I guess because it only being UK release at the moment. its only available on 1 store at the moment, I imagine on Friday will be more available.

8. raqball

raqball Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    I am 100% happy with my Tablet and have not had any issues at all with it.... I had the original Xoom and sold it to get the Galaxy Tab....

Happy camper here... I hope the next one solves the screen issue for you and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.....

9. alackman

None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    It was driving me crazy. Anyway, I've taken the sgt back to pc world yesterday and as they still.didn't have any xoom 2 s in they gave me store credit. I really loved the sgt and wad happy with it in every other way. I'm wondering if the xoom 2 won't feel like an upgrade and will disappoint...maybe worth waiting for the transformer prime?