• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep the TBolt - or Get DX2????

DX2 is the way to go...I've heard so many bad reviews about the Tbolt...Verizon needs to come out with a few more 4G phones before I purchase one. The only bad thing about getting a 3G phone right now is eventually 4G data will not be unlimited...so that's the benefit of buying into 4G now, but if its so battery draining and spotty now, I don't think its worth it yet....to each his own I guess...I would do the DX2 over Tbolt...

Upvote 0
WOW - I just got the TBolt on Thursday @ Best Buy - I have 30 days. I knew about the Charge - and - the only thing that impressed me about it was the Battery Life. Now - with this puppy coming out in 2 weeks - not sure what to do. I like the speck - but - I'll have to shell out $$$ for a new SD card. 8GB - are you kidding???

I thought it was changed to 14 days? Be careful, since you probably have two weeks less to decide.

Depends on what you want. No 4G on the X2, but a faster chipset and probably a lot better battery life and more stable 3G, since no dual radio issues like on the TB. The 8gb card does seem lame for the Droid X 2. VERY lame.

For low to mid-level savvy rooters, they probably both suck, equally as much.

Upvote 0
WOW - I just got the TBolt on Thursday @ Best Buy - I have 30 days. I knew about the Charge - and - the only thing that impressed me about it was the Battery Life. Now - with this puppy coming out in 2 weeks - not sure what to do. I like the speck - but - I'll have to shell out $$$ for a new SD card. 8GB - are you kidding???

I have had 2 orig Droids and 2 Droid x's. 3 out of the 4 SD cards that came with the phones FAILED. Buying a new San Disk SD card is, as far as I'm concerned, a requirement if you want peace of mind.
If it's free it's probably junk.......

Upvote 0
I have had 2 orig Droids and 2 Droid x's. 3 out of the 4 SD cards that came with the phones FAILED. Buying a new San Disk SD card is, as far as I'm concerned, a requirement if you want peace of mind.
If it's free it's probably junk.......

Hmm, the SD in my Droid is the one that came with it when I got it 2 weeks after launch. FWIW, it IS a Sandisk.

I'm anticipating getting the DX2, IF the company will approve it (on a company plan), and plan on just moving the 16 GB card from the Droid to the DX2, unless I decide before then to buy a bigger one but the 16 has been fine to this point and the DX2 will have more internal capacity.

Upvote 0
I picked up the TB last Monday coming from a Droid, Incredible, Droid X (favorite). The TB is a battery hog for me and I'm not even in a 4G area (coming to my area in next month). I know a ton of people dog Blur, but there are hit and misses in both UI's IMHO. The reception was actually as good if not better for me in an area where HTC in the past has failed MISERABLY in reception for me.

The X with all the dev's and themers and forum support is far and away the phone to have for modifications and ROM's. TB has root and luckily a dev put together an automated ADB process, but boy is it a pain. I assume that with time, it will get some love, but it won't be within your exchange date(s).

The other thing that drives me nuts with the HTC Sense is the inability for phone and other apps to be in landscape mode while driving and while not. I can't stand the car dock app's (phone will work in landscape mode while in car home app), but being a road warrior, this was/is an issue for me. Also, the actual car dock from Verizon is cheap. Not a fan.

As for the SD card, I purchased a 32 sd card (Sandisk) a while ago so that was not an issue for me if I decide to roll with the X2. There are features about both phones that are a plus for me and also a minus. That's the thing that really sucks for some is that there never seems to be the makeup for that "perfect" phone. :)

Somehow, this turned in to a rant. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0
I am selling my Thunderbolt and I'm back on my DX for now until the DX2 launches. I really like this phone and have had it since launch with virtually no complaints. The DX2 has already been deodexed according to P3Droid. He is saying that even without the FFC and no LTE that this is an amazing device. I have no use for LTE in my area yet and would like some reliable data connections, which I never had with the TBolt. Pretty sure I am getting this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones