• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep the UDP, or move to Google Fi

TheNakedMan

Lurker
Dec 26, 2015
My current plans costs me $120 a month...outrageous in my mind in the days of voice over wifi calling.

While I'm a huge fan of my iPhone/macs in general...I like android and miss the customization I had with it.

Has anyone jumped from Verizon's UDP to get the Google Fi?

I have to have an extender in my apt already so I figure why not get something with Google Fi instead.
I only use 3gb every month, so I don't see the benefit besides the phone upgrade thing, which is a pain in the ass to upgrade through best buy anyways.

Reactions: KOLIO
My current plans costs me $120 a month...outrageous in my mind in the days of voice over wifi calling.

While I'm a huge fan of my iPhone/macs in general...I like android and miss the customization I had with it.

Has anyone jumped from Verizon's UDP to get the Google Fi?

I have to have an extender in my apt already so I figure why not get something with Google Fi instead.
I only use 3gb every month, so I don't see the benefit besides the phone upgrade thing, which is a pain in the ass to upgrade through best buy anyways.

You sound like a prime candidate for Google FI,provided the coverage where you need it most is decent.
The phone selection is somewhat limited,but,if you find one that suits you,I see no reason to stick w/VZW.

Reactions: TheNakedMan
Upvote 0
At 3GB you'd pay around $50 for Google Fi, definitely worth switching if you're paying $120 a month right now. Most prepaid carriers will cost less then what you're paying now. :thumbsupdroid:

+1,000 on the Pre-Paid (even post-paid,if you can lock into a discount for leaving VZW).
That,& provided your existing phone is free & clear of any contractual or financial obligations,it may be compatible with networks other than VZW.
http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Reactions: TheNakedMan
Upvote 0
The UDP contract has nothing to do with your Ph#, that is yours for life by FCC law.

The UDP is a contract to pay, and if you can find someone who is willing to accept the Responsibility to Assume that contract, then you are good to go. VZW goes to extremes to verify the 3rd party's ability and willingness to Assume your UDP.

All that said, I was once told by a VZW 611 rep, that they do not allow UDP accounts to be assumed by anyone "anymore", that they want them eliminated. You can continue to keep the account as the "Original Contractee", but I could not assign it to anyone else....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I have never gone to a local store, I have always talked to VZW on 611 and bought my phone that way, they just mail it to me.... I hate going to the retail stores.

I don't know why they told you that you have to pay, you can convert from UDP to Family Share plan and just drop UDP..... assuming you will stay with VZW. That is what I did and their was no fee to do so.

If your phone is 'out of contract, you should be able to leave VZW w/o a fee... at $200 it sounds like you are currently under contract for a phone that you acquired less than 24 months ago? Now that does incur the horrible fees you mention.

Upvote 0
I'll offer you $3.50 for your unlimited plan!

Either way, at 3GB per month T-Mo might be a better option than Fi. They both cost $50 per month and on T-Mo you only get 2GB of data but you get unlimited music streaming, unlimited video streaming on some sites and international roaming. You aren't hard capped at 2GB as you get throttled internet if you go over. You also get more flexibility on phones. Depends how much you value those things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones