• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep track of family member with little to no data usage

jrickards

Lurker
Jul 13, 2015
Hi:

I know that there are a lot of apps that I could use to keep track of family members (actually, my wife wants to keep track of me) and I've only used one, Map Me, but it requires data to send the GPS info back to my wife's phone.

I go on long bike rides, 2+hrs and will be doing some bike tours (5+ days) and she'd like to know where I am. I don't have a problem keeping my GPS running on my phone, it takes very little battery to do so. However, if I have data enabled, I can imagine (I didn't track it) that my phone battery will drain much more quickly.

As I see it, there are two possibilities: (1) a "tracking" app that uses no data (maybe texting data back and forth since that will be enabled?) or (2) a data management app that I can use to disable apps that use data except for the tracking app.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jules

How about your wife logs into Android Device Manager at home when she wants to know where you are?
It will use data but not much and only when she's checking on you :thumbsupdroid:
(in your app drawer, go to Google Settings app, tap Security, turn on Android Device Manager)
Your wife needs your Gmail address and password to log in on the pc or her phone browser.

Or there's Lookout https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout which works in a similar way
Just tested and Lookout seems more accurate :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll give Lookout a whirl, it seems easier.
Yup its security features are excellent too (if your phone is turned off or sim changed, it will email you a map of location and sometimes a pic from the front camera)
They keep threatening to charge me for this feature but haven't yet :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones