• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keeping Google Maps Active

Jezston

May 29, 2010
Is there any way to stop Google Maps going 'idle' when it isn't in the foreground?

It's particularly annoying if i'm on, say my bike with my phone in my pocket, and every time I need to check where I am I have to wait for it to update my position which it occasionally gets stuck doing and I have to wait 30 seconds plus to find where I am.

Is there any way to stop Google Maps going 'idle' when it isn't in the foreground?

It's particularly annoying if i'm on, say my bike with my phone in my pocket, and every time I need to check where I am I have to wait for it to update my position which it occasionally gets stuck doing and I have to wait 30 seconds plus to find where I am.

Free Waze doesn't go 'idle'.
(It's also an excellent 'crowd sourced' navigation app; recommended).

The flip side of apps not being allowed to go idle is that they will bleed your battery dry in no time at all.
So if you go biking with a map app on a lot I would see if I could mount a charger connected to a solar panel or to the dynamo (and a converter/transformer) on my bike!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones