1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support keeping it close to the vest

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by kamajs, Aug 5, 2016.

1. kamajs

kamajs Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Several days ago I picked up an LGK3 from the Virgin Mobile rack
    for $50.
    I know nothing about Android so I'm seeking a little help here.
    When I first turned it on it ask for various permissions and I denied everything I thought I could get away with and still have it function. I believe the day is coming where these things will do virtually
    nothing unless one plays their game. All I wish to do is email and some web surfing which seems to work with some nagging here and there. One question is, can I install any programs like say "Firefox" without giving various permissions? Secondly, is there any device in the $100 to $200 range which is
    more friendly to privacy oriented people?
    Tnx
    kamajs

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Even the most harmless app will need your permission to do just about anything... it doesn't mean it's out to get you. Firefox, for example, needs the permissions to save files to your phone, attach files from your phone, access the Internet with your account, etc. You've already found that denying these permissions will result in reduced app performance... if it works at all. If you are still hesitant about an app's permission requirements, feel free to contact the developer and ask why the app needs them.

3. kamajs

kamajs Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Hi Chief,
    Not interested in phone capabilities just email and a little surfing which is working now but
    would prefer doing it with Firefox. Having denied these permissions is it probable that
    I am unable to install even the most innocuous "app"? There is no need to contact any
    developer as I know exactly what their motivations are and I "aint" playin the game.........
    kamajs

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well, short of staying completely offline, I'm not sure how you'll get around it. I wish you well in your quest and it's great to have you here :)

Jfalls63 and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Buy an iPhone, all permissions are assumed as allow, nothing you have to do....easy. Just agree to the Apple iTunes Store EULA. :thumbsupdroid:

Jfalls63 and girolez like this.
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm guessing you didn't add your Google account? If no, you can download the app and install directly from here: http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=Firefox&post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk (anything on apk mirror is legit and safe).

If your device is running Android 6.0, and the apps are coded properly, they will ask you for specific permissions when they need to use them and you can allow or deny on a case by case basis.

Jfalls63 and mikedt like this.
  7. kamajs

kamajs Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Tnx Chief,
    I have full access to the net through free/open WIFI and with the software which came with the device
    (bought cash BTW), so if I were keeping score I would say it's 1 point for me and zip for them.
    Ahhhhh life is good...................
    adios

8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    Aquamail paid version is pretty good for email.

I use Pale Moon, but read the FX forum. Can you get any of the extensions listed like PC FX?
    Ghostery and Adblock are around, some browsers even have a check mark to enable if you want.

I have not seen an app like NoScript.