• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keeping Magic Jack App Open

BGR

Lurker
Nov 21, 2018
I have a Zenfone 3 Laser running Android Nougat.

If I open the Magic Jack app and not use any other phone function, the app will remain open and I can receive calls and messages. However, if I use any other function such as Google or any other app, the Magic Jack app closes, which makes it virtually worthless. I have disabled battery optimization which did not solve the problem.

Neither Zenfone nor Magic Jack tech support had an answer.

That depends on the app (which I've never used), the operating system (ROM rather than just android version) and how the memory management is configured, and what else you are doing. My tablet (3GB ram) multitasks worse than my old phone (2GB) did.

I don't know this app, but if it does what I think I'm surprised if it isn't written with a small, high priority service running in the background to respond to incoming calls rather than requiring the full app to be constantly loaded and active (very inefficient). Have you checked that it's not just a user interface that's being reloaded as opposed to it missing calls or messages (apologies if I've misunderstood it, I just glanced at the app listing to see what it is).

Upvote 0
That depends on the app (which I've never used), the operating system (ROM rather than just android version) and how the memory management is configured, and what else you are doing. My tablet (3GB ram) multitasks worse than my old phone (2GB) did.

I don't know this app, but if it does what I think I'm surprised if it isn't written with a small, high priority service running in the background to respond to incoming calls rather than requiring the full app to be constantly loaded and active (very inefficient). Have you checked that it's not just a user interface that's being reloaded as opposed to it missing calls or messages (apologies if I've misunderstood it, I just glanced at the app listing to see what it is).

It often does miss incoming calls. There seems to be no pattern. In any event, I deleted the contents of Gallery and downloaded files. It seems to be working better, but time will tell.

Upvote 0
Clearing space in the internal storage (removing downloaded files and images) should have no affect at all on an app's persistence in RAM - the flash storage and the RAM are two completely different and independent things.

Does it have an option to keep a notification icon visible? It's a very old trick that some apps used, and a few still do, to try to keep them alive. If you've turned off a setting like that maybe try turning it back on.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

Sounds like bad practice on the part of the Magic Jack devs, and is something they need to fix. I use WhatsApp VOIP myself, and I find that always receives calls and messages no problem, even when the app itself isn't fully loaded into memory. I did look at using Magic Jack myself a while back, but it requires United States billing details.

Upvote 0
I also use WhatsApp and have not had a problem. I use Magic Jack while traveling outside the U.S.for calls to and from those who do not have WhatsApp. I have noted that many IOS users do not have WhatsApp, but, instead use the Apple equivalent. I think they may look down upon us poor Android users..

Upvote 0
When I used that magicjack app (probably 6 years ago) it was very buggy and had wakelock issues.

Reading the current reviews, the app still sucks and has the same issues.

The last update was in June.

I would avoid this app and use Whatsapp, which is more reliable and consistent w/updates and is well known around the world.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones