• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keeping my unlimited data and getting a Droid Maxxx

NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
New York City area
Sorry for cross posting. My unlimited data plan contract is coming to an end. I was ready to pay full retail price and get the Droid Maxx. However, I cannot figure out on their website how to buy a phone and NOT have a plan, because if I do choose a plan, I lose my unlimited data. I called and the guy wasn't sure what to do and kept using the word "upgrade" which I am not doing. I notice he didn't even mention Edge so to me that meant he didn't know. So that is why I come here. I want to buy a Droid Maxx and put it on my current plan/pricing which is about to end, and then go month to month from there.

If you have another line you can do an alternate upgrade which is where they give you the phone but extend the contract on the other line. Or they now offer a plan called the maxx plan which gives unlimited users 6gb of data for the same 29.99 you already pay. You have to be specific when calling customer service and ask for these specific things. If they don't know what you are talking about say thank you, hang up and call back!! That's what I did. Paying for shared data isn't logical for us. 3 of our lines are my parent and my mil. We pay the bill sooooooo now changing here. I just did this 3 days ago and love my maxx!!

Upvote 0
Just buy the phone at full (off-contract) price. That's what I did, though I did it in the store.

Believe me, they'll be happy to keep billing you at your former rate; you just aren't on a contract any more. And you'll have the same grandfathered unlimited data that you always had.

Check my math, but I think that's what happens.

Upvote 0
Just buy the phone at full (off-contract) price. That's what I did, though I did it in the store.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. Though I've had one time where I really didn't like the salesman in the store, every other time (and it's now many times) the sales people have been very knowledgeable about this stuff. I did buy a phone off-contract, but it was in 2010 and it was a feature phone on my son's line, so there was no unlimited data to keep.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I called back and that rep put the order in

I just moved to Miami and there aren't a lot of Verizon stores here. The one I went to said I could only buy it as a bundle with accessories. But I got it on The phone now and hopefully will see it on Tuesday with my unlimited data and still have the corporate discount on my data.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Thanks. I called back and that rep put the order in

I just moved to Miami and there aren't a lot of Verizon stores here. The one I went to said I could only buy it as a bundle with accessories.

I'm glad that you got that straightened out. Too bad about the store, though. Like I said, I've had good luck dealing with the stores. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Upvote 0
Make sure to double check your plan after purchase! I went through the same thing... Explained exactly why I was paying full price, and a day after the sale, they moved me off the unlimited data. I just happened to be checking my plan and noticed it, otherwise had i taken the phone reps word they knew what they were doing, my plan wouldve been lost.

Upvote 0
I have the droid maxx and have had it for a few days. I upgraded one of my other lines, got the phone for $199 and kept my unlimited data. So I know that it works. What is a skimodo? I have the otterbox commander case on mine and I love the feel. Glad you got your phone! My battery is doig farely well I guess I average between 18-24 hours on the battery. We have crappy spotty signal at home so I use wifi mostly. Other than that I love it!! Anybody have any suggestions about charging it every night? Do or dont?

Upvote 0
It came in the mail today. I am charging it and then will activate.

I saw some recommendations for the Skimodo: there's one for the screen and one for the skin. Any suggestions? I'm in a Secret Santa thing for max $20, and we can post hints, and I'm thinking of posting that I want that.

Good luck with the Maxx. I'm sure that you'll love it.

I have a Skinomi skin and I like it. I've always had the wet apply, Zagg style screen protectors. I didn't get the cover for the back of the phone. First, I don't care all that much if it gets scuffed up. Second, the material seems pretty scratch resistant to me.

I have the droid maxx and have had it for a few days. I upgraded one of my other lines, got the phone for $199 and kept my unlimited data. So I know that it works. What is a skimodo? I have the otterbox commander case on mine and I love the feel. Glad you got your phone! My battery is doig farely well I guess I average between 18-24 hours on the battery. We have crappy spotty signal at home so I use wifi mostly. Other than that I love it!! Anybody have any suggestions about charging it every night? Do or dont?

I always do. I always have, for every smartphone (though every smartphone has needed a charge by the end of the day.) Once every two months, when I know I'll be home, I won't plug in one night and try to run the phone down to below 15% or so until I charge it! just to make sure that the software that calculates the charge left level is still well-calibrated.

Technically, it's best for lithium ion batteries to:

- pull off power as soon as it hits 100% charge
- do a lot of micro-charges - so, start charging at 70% left, pull power at 85%, then drop to 60% and charge to 75%, etc.

But this sort of behavior is nearly impossible so I just plug in when I go to sleep and unplug when I wake up. My last phone's battery was fine after 20 months of use and that battery went through a lot more battery charge cycles than this phone will (i.e., charging percent change of 100% is one full charge cycle; so two days of charging from 50% to full is one cycle).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones