• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keeping POP3 emails on the phone

ericpode

Feb 1, 2012
Just got a Arc S, and set up my POP3 email account on it. It works OK and downloads emails to the handset, and leaves them on the server.

So later on I can download all the emails on my PC using the Thunderbird email client. Great!

But when the emails are downloaded to my PC and deleted from the server, the emails also disappear from my Arc S. I might be wrong but I think that the Arc S may be "syncing" with the emails that exist on the POP3 server - so when there are no emails on the POP3 server there will be none on the Arc S aswell.

Sometimes when I'm away from home, one of the family may download the emails on the PC, and it's annoying to find that the emails on my phone have suddenly vanished - especially if I'd intended to reply to some them. I've got to be able to carry permanent copies of some emails on my Arc S.

What I really want is for the emails downloaded to the phone to stay there until I decide to delete them myself, and not to disappear when they get deleted from the POP3 server.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for the reply, but it hasn't anything to do with the pop3 account itself.

It is the phone that is deciding to delete the local copies of the emails when it discovers that they are no longer on the server. Somehow the phone needs to be configured to NOT delete its local copies of the emails.

Surely it's possible to do this. I can't imagine it being acceptable that all the phone's emails get wiped whenever they are downloaded to the PC?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones