1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Keeping up with the Jone's- the next Razr

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, May 7, 2012.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I wonder if the only spec adjustment is the HD display, and everything else is basically the same? If they stick with TI, the only options (before late Q4) are the current dual cores and same apparent radio chips.

The SG III from Sammy will likely have more significant updates. Even the "lowly" S4 in the US version is a lot better than the 4000 TI family of SoC's.

Frankly, if VZW gets the SG III with 32gb internal, I might jump ship. That 32gb internal and my 64gb card is lots of media space :)

Who knows, maybe no funky data drop or hand-off issues?? My guess is if Moto sticks with the same combo of chips, some at least are destined for the same combo of issues. Since I have problems now, I would be part of that some.

Of course, IF a 28nm 4G radio releases later in the year........ The S4 in the Sammy is 28nm and apparently gets amazing battery life. Better than the Tegra 3.

Added: My issue though is wanting a global phone next time, so not sure if either would fit the bill.

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    well i will say this much man, i hope you get the phone you want, but i will just stick with moto for good, the galaxy nexus is just riddled with bugs (for me) and after flashing the new radios from this previous update (the signal got slightly better, but the mic bug stayed) and i am sorry but i have to have a phone that is a phone first. i know moto hardware is great, so i will just stick with them from here on out :(

maybe one day a bootloader solution will be made, but until then, i am not worried, i wasnt to keen on flashing kernels

carracerz14, omawb and New Rising like this.
  3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yep, your points are valid for concern, but IF the radios work well, the S4 is great with battery use so perhaps a good option.

The 4430 is comparably weak for battery life. I tried to carry an external battery, but not practical. I have the Razr thin.

Based on battery life and performance, the new S4 seems perfect for phones. Anandtech has a perspective about the S4 and makes the 4430 and the LTE chip in the Razr seem archaic for battery life.

4. omawb

omawb Newbie
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    + 1 Tried to live with the GNex but gave it up and am much happier with the RAZR.

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Sans the data drops, I am too, but if I can dramatically increase battery life (as Anandtech asserts) with an S4 chipset, so be it. My perspective would be different if I had the Maxx, but do not. I have to be thrifty in how I use the Razr and will not upgrade to the Maxx, just for the battery life.

Folks should read up on the S4 chip, since it could be the best fit for phones to date. Still, whatever device has a global feature may be my choice.... assuming the device at least has Razr level goodness, minus the data drop issues and either a bigger battery, or one that is replaceable.

thedrizl likes this.
  6. Mate01

Mate01 Member
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    LA,CA
    I'm quite happy with mah Razr.

7. thedrizl

thedrizl Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Male
    jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none
    Warrenton, VA

I only see one flaw in your logic... the hardware is still made by Samsung. Great, if you want to carry around a mini-computer in your pocket. If you need to make a phone call, not so much.

8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I can at least dream..... or hope the Razor HD has an S4.

9. dmaxfan

dmaxfan Well-Known Member
    None

It is getting the s4. Qualcomm is having trouble meeting orders so it's probably gonna be delayed. -from an insider

10. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The positive is the Razr is a nice device to wait with. More so if had the Maxx.