• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kernal for battery life

I got everything completed. I flashed the stuidfast kernal for battery life mainly. A couple things I am noticing is when phone is turned on there is no little blue symbol or verizon symbol anymore. Also if I go into my app and go into my files app it makes the screen go black and I have to reboot phone. If this normal?

Update: The my files app does work now but the little blue symbol and verizon symbol at start up does not. Is this part of this kernal since this is a battery saving kernal?

Upvote 0
Yes I put the stupdfast kernal on it and I did back it up. Is there a easy way to get all my apps back?

Depends. If you bought or got all your apps from the market then go to the market. Press your menu key and select downloads. You should get a list of all the apps you've downloaded. Just start downloading them again.

If you use Appbrain you can sign on a sync the phone and then re download all the apps. but like nitsuj said get titanium backup or MyBackUp. My backup is free but slower Ti backup is more or less the standard but each work well. If you go with MyBackUp make sure to get the paid version or you'll want to shoot yourself if you ever do a complete restore. I'm not going to say why but if you try it you;ll know soon after you start the restore :D

and remember backup backup backup:cool:

Upvote 0
I almost created a thread just for this:
The first 2 versions of DJ05 clean rom left me with less than optimal battery life IMO. That was also my initial impression of v3 but since I flashed Killarny's Circle D Battery its been unbelievably good. And yes I know something like that should not effect battery life. So maybe it is v3 and or more precisely the kernel within v3 finally working for me but I have to share these stats. Flashed the battery mod at like 2pm yesterday 75% battery at 6pm still 75% battery. So now Im think the battery mod is frozen or something, so I cross check with SystemPanel and 75% there too. So I run quadrant to drain battery and final it moves down to 74%. From 6pm till 2am drained only down to 71%. That is 4% in 12 hours, now admittedly, this was light use. I received maybe 12-15 texts, 2 GTalk messages, and only replied to like 2-3 of those total though. 1 2 minute phone call on BT and some very light phone use. At 2am I went to bed but ended up watching a movie on my phone which drained it 18% in 1h40m. So like 53% when I went to sleep at 4am [yes I know:rolleyes:, unbelievably I wasnt on IRC last night]. Now at roughly 9am 47%. Very pleased with this oh so battery friendly condition, because I was about to join the this sucks my battery life a fish drinks water crew yesterday. All the above is on SetCPU Conservative. I can also confirm that when watching a movie on the SF in Conservative the cpu stays at or uses mostly 400Mhz which is nice.

Upvote 0
I've gone back to stock kernel. Every kernel I tried had cracking in the audio. Whether it was Pandora or mp3's played off the sdcard. Supposedly this was fixed, but I never had any luck.

I'm running Blackhole 1.3.

Try running jt's 11-11 kernel, I was having audio issues as well with all the latest versions but this one did the trick. It's not quite as fast as all the latest versions, but it blows the stock kernel away for sure.

Upvote 0
I've gone back to stock kernel. Every kernel I tried had cracking in the audio. Whether it was Pandora or mp3's played off the sdcard. Supposedly this was fixed, but I never had any luck.

I'm running Blackhole 1.3.

I've heard Blackhole has problems w/audio crackling when running on custom kernels. I don't believe it's actually the kernels that mess the audio up, I think it's the ROM's (in most cases). I've been running StupidFast (each one in succession) ever since geeknik released them and never had any trouble with audio crackling until I put the Super Dark ROM on it. Even then, it only crackles if I'm playing music (Winamp) and texting (Handcent) at the same time, and only occassionally.

As for battery life, StupidFast 1.2.3 has been great for me thus far :)

I almost created a thread just for this:
The first 2 versions of DJ05 clean rom left me with less than optimal battery life IMO. That was also my initial impression of v3 but since I flashed Killarny's Circle D Battery its been unbelievably good. And yes I know something like that should not effect battery life. So maybe it is v3 and or more precisely the kernel within v3 finally working for me but I have to share these stats. Flashed the battery mod at like 2pm yesterday 75% battery at 6pm still 75% battery. So now Im think the battery mod is frozen or something, so I cross check with SystemPanel and 75% there too. So I run quadrant to drain battery and final it moves down to 74%. From 6pm till 2am drained only down to 71%. That is 4% in 12 hours, now admittedly, this was light use. I received maybe 12-15 texts, 2 GTalk messages, and only replied to like 2-3 of those total though. 1 2 minute phone call on BT and some very light phone use. At 2am I went to bed but ended up watching a movie on my phone which drained it 18% in 1h40m. So like 53% when I went to sleep at 4am [yes I know:rolleyes:, unbelievably I wasnt on IRC last night]. Now at roughly 9am 47%. Very pleased with this oh so battery friendly condition, because I was about to join the this sucks my battery life a fish drinks water crew yesterday. All the above is on SetCPU Conservative. I can also confirm that when watching a movie on the SF in Conservative the cpu stays at or uses mostly 400Mhz which is nice.

Thanks for the info saps. I'm still not on DJ05 yet, but perhaps I'll do it by Sunday....

I assume you're running the clean version?

Upvote 0
I've heard Blackhole has problems w/audio crackling when running on custom kernels. I don't believe it's actually the kernels that mess the audio up, I think it's the ROM's (in most cases). I've been running StupidFast (each one in succession) ever since geeknik released them and never had any trouble with audio crackling until I put the Super Dark ROM on it. Even then, it only crackles if I'm playing music (Winamp) and texting (Handcent) at the same time, and only occassionally.

Thanks for the info saps. I'm still not on DJ05 yet, but perhaps I'll do it by Sunday....

I've been running superdark for the past week or so and the audio problems were most obvious when I had the phone charging while playing any audio (with the screen on). In that situation, the "pops" were unmistakably linked to the charging indicator on the notification bar...there would be a pop every time the animation would jump as it went around the circle. I know, sounds silly, but I'm telling you it was as plain as day :). This happened on a couple of jt's kernels from around 11-15 and one of the stupidfast versions from around that time (can't say for sure whether it happened on 1.0.36 version of stupidfast, I wasn't paying attention). At that point, I decided to take a shot at using jt's 11-11 since it's listed as stable in rom manager...sure enough, audio issues completely gone under all the same conditions...go figure.

Just wanted to share my experiences with this as there is some skepticism about it.

Upvote 0

Yes, clean v 3
I've been running superdark for the past week or so and the audio problems were most obvious when I had the phone charging while playing any audio (with the screen on). In that situation, the "pops" were unmistakably linked to the charging indicator on the notification bar...there would be a pop every time the animation would jump as it went around the circle. I know, sounds silly, but I'm telling you it was as plain as day :). This happened on a couple of jt's kernels from around 11-15 and one of the stupidfast versions from around that time (can't say for sure whether it happened on 1.0.36 version of stupidfast, I wasn't paying attention). At that point, I decided to take a shot at using jt's 11-11 since it's listed as stable in rom manager...sure enough, audio issues completely gone under all the same conditions...go figure.

Just wanted to share my experiences with this as there is some skepticism about it.

Yeah some kernels do seem more prone to audio issues when in doubt 11/11 seems to be ok

Upvote 0

Good to know, thanks grin. In my experience (speaking for all the StupidFast kernels), I had absolutely no audio problems whatsoever until I started running a ROM. I had not run any before trying Super Dark. This, along with other accounts of similar problems is what led me to believe is it more associated with the ROM. But it's good to know that it resolves when using certain versions of similar kernels :).

Upvote 0
I am on DJ01 and rooted and applied Adryn's GPS fix.

1) Can I just flash the Stupidfast 1.2.3 kernel in CWM? Or do I need DJ05?

2) How is Stupidfast supposed to affect battery life if it's not UV? Or is it UV in v 1.2.3?

3) Can I flash voodoo5 (adryn's) while running DJ01? Or do I need DJ05?

4) Is Voodoo5 removable?

I took off the Nexus One news/weather widget and battery life went from 8-10 hours to 16-18 hours. I want MORE battery life, though.

Upvote 0
I am on DJ01 and rooted and applied Adryn's GPS fix.

1) Can I just flash the Stupidfast 1.2.3 kernel in CWM? Or do I need DJ05?

2) How is Stupidfast supposed to affect battery life if it's not UV? Or is it UV in v 1.2.3?

3) Can I flash voodoo5 (adryn's) while running DJ01? Or do I need DJ05?

4) Is Voodoo5 removable?

I took off the Nexus One news/weather widget and battery life went from 8-10 hours to 16-18 hours. I want MORE battery life, though.

1. stupidfiast 1.2.3 i believe is a DI01 kernel so your fine
2. uv is always going to have better battery life
3. i suppose you could flash voodoo5 on DI01 but its a DJ05 kernel so its not an ideal situation
4. yes, it always is

Upvote 0
FWIW, its true for awhile there jt was putting out a new clean rom a day for DJ05, I know almost everyone is running v.5 however I've gone all the way back to v.3 for battery life, its just better for whatever reason. Admittedly, a lot of v.3 has a UV kernel whereas v.5 does not but I think v.4 was also uv and yet this one is my best performer for battery sake.
I do think the test1 of voodoo is uv
For those still on DI01, I think jt's 11/16uv is good as is the now hard to find stupidfast uv kernels

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones