• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kernal for battery life

no there is no voodoo stupidfast and there most likely never will be.

honestly test1 voodoo is uv so battery life will be better.

personally ive always been more partial to jts stuff anyway, not that geeks isnt good :)

Compared to what I had with stupidfast and what I have now (test1) stupidfast blows it way in battery life. Over night stupid fast wuold only use about 7% battery while test1 is more like 10% per hour even when it's not being used at all. :eek:

What ROMs can I install with V5 any?

Upvote 0
Compared to what I had with stupidfast and what I have now (test1) stupidfast blows it way in battery life. Over night stupid fast wuold only use about 7% battery while test1 is more like 10% per hour even when it's not being used at all. :eek:

wow 10% when not being used???

i forgot to plug in my phone last night on test1 and it only dropped from 80% to 75% between 7pm and 5:30 am this morning :)

Upvote 0

i forgot to plug in my phone last night on test1 and it only dropped from 80% to 75% between 7pm and 5:30 am this morning :)
Yeah guys thats the funny thing, some kernels [or maybe more accurately stated kernel-rom-theme combos] are more battery friendly than others. Sadly, for the past 2-3 weeks, the rate of dev has been so accelerated with literally a new kernel a day from someone that we have little to fall back on in terms of battery life stats.
I said this earlier but it bears repeating now as there are 3-4 segments of the SF community now. DI01 users, DJ05 users and voodoo5 [I suppose there is even a small old voodoo too]. In general as long as your phone can run uv stably you should be good to go with a uv kernel and seek one out too. Having said that there is definitely a formula to which kernels work better with which roms for battery. Sadly, I dont know the exact formula myself. FWIW, I have returned to jt's clean rom for DJ05 v3 and the kernel inside it which is uv. Im definitely riding the if it aint broke train atm

Upvote 0
Yeah guys thats the funny thing, some kernels [or maybe more accurately stated kernel-rom-theme combos] are more battery friendly than others. Sadly, for the past 2-3 weeks, the rate of dev has been so accelerated with literally a new kernel a day from someone that we have little to fall back on in terms of battery life stats.
I said this earlier but it bears repeating now as there are 3-4 segments of the SF community now. DI01 users, DJ05 users and voodoo5 [I suppose there is even a small old voodoo too]. In general as long as your phone can run uv stably you should be good to go with a uv kernel and seek one out too. Having said that there is definitely a formula to which kernels work better with which roms for battery. Sadly, I dont know the exact formula myself. FWIW, I have returned to jt's clean rom for DJ05 v3 and the kernel inside it which is uv. Im definitely riding the if it aint broke train atm

Yeah i flashed to jt's dj05 ver.5 and i lost 40% of my battery overnight. I used to use a max of 10% when i was running dj01 super clean with geekniks kernel. I think i'm going to try geekniks kernel with the dj05 rom and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Yeah i flashed to jt's dj05 ver.5 and i lost 40% of my battery overnight. I used to use a max of 10% when i was running dj01 super clean with geekniks kernel. I think i'm going to try geekniks kernel with the dj05 rom and see what happens.
Yeah case in point. I wasnt impressed with DJ05 v.5 battery life at all, admittedly the kernel in v.5 is stock voltage not uv hence why I returned to v.3, you might try the same

Upvote 0
Yeah case in point. I wasnt impressed with DJ05 v.5 battery life at all, admittedly the kernel in v.5 is stock voltage not uv hence why I returned to v.3, you might try the same

Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time setting up the phone the way i like it after the ROM flash, so i'm holding off on flashing another ROM for a bit :) I think i'll try a new kernel first. (I should wipe data and cache if i do flash from v.5 to v.3 right?)

Upvote 0

Well I also installed k9 mail and it seems to be using lots of power during that time. So that could be the problem.

I've installed the latest v5 kernel and will uninstall k9 tonight and see what happens

More to come....

Upvote 0

Well we can only run these v5 kernels if you have v5 installed,right? And so far I only see one version ..I guess other will soon follow

Upvote 0
Well we can only run these v5 kernels if you have v5 installed,right? And so far I only see one version ..I guess other will soon follow
There was a early version of voodoo sometimes called voodoo v.2 so yeah we're fragmented to say the least.
We have:
DI01 nonvoodoo
DI01 voodoo v.2
DJ05 nonvoodoo
DJ05 voodoo5
not sure if we have DI01 voodoo5 or not :thinking:

Upvote 0
Battery Life?
Exhibit A DJ05 clean rom v.3 with kernel inside it:
snap20101125_125825.png

Almost 32hours off the charger and 40% drained / 60% remaining and if you didnt know Fastest Droid is a GPS using app, so if I hadnt used that I'd probably be at 65% now honestly.
Best I've ever ever ever seen

Upvote 0
Saps, could you load JT clean .3 and then load Clean .6 over top of it since the kernel is not in clean .6? Would this give you the best of both?

Just wondering. I am looking to move to DJ05 and trying to plan it out.

Thanks

Battery Life?
Exhibit A DJ05 clean rom v.3 with kernel inside it:
snap20101125_125825.png

Almost 32hours off the charger and 40% drained / 60% remaining and if you didnt know Fastest Droid is a GPS using app, so if I hadnt used that I'd probably be at 65% now honestly.
Best I've ever ever ever seen

Upvote 0
Saps, could you load JT clean .3 and then load Clean .6 over top of it since the kernel is not in clean .6? Would this give you the best of both?

Just wondering. I am looking to move to DJ05 and trying to plan it out.

Thanks

Yes you could no problem
Yes 100% clean rom v.6 is kernel less so it will be same v.3 kernel I almost did this but the differences between v.3 and v.6 are too small for me to bother

Upvote 0
fwiw, I jumped on voodoo a few days ago and while Im not pleased to report its any faster or more responsive than non-voodoo IMO, I can and will say the battery life seems to be quite good. I PM'd jt to confirm voodoo is uv which it is, so thats good. So those who might be fence sitting because of all the repute v.3 kernel got, just know that voodoo has the same degree of uv and as such should give nearly the same battery life

Upvote 0
fwiw, I jumped on voodoo a few days ago and while Im not pleased to report its any faster or more responsive than non-voodoo IMO, I can and will say the battery life seems to be quite good. I PM'd jt to confirm voodoo is uv which it is, so thats good. So those who might be fence sitting because of all the repute v.3 kernel got, just know that voodoo has the same degree of uv and as such should give nearly the same battery life

I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't see the amazing speed improvement. I even benched some functions like how long it takes the widget list and the activity list to appear and Voodoo clearly lost on my phone, the Activity list list took almost 3x as long on Voodoo5:eek:.

I couldn't really test the "hiccups" people claim it is smoothing out as I don't seem to have those..

Anyways now I'm looking for a way to remove it completely but its apparently a secret:D even when it is disabled it f's up the normal CWM (it can't wipe or format system and nandroids restores just wipe and format your system lol :D (I don't know why I find that funny but I do, irony I guess) so to do anything I have to reboot to the red recovery and do it there. I want to use Rom manager again:( I need to kill the red but how? Well I know how I was just hoping for a document to confirm my plans and help others that may want to remove it :cool:

I did notice the 1127 voodoo kernel did have fairly good life but I can't get anywhere near yours sap. DO you actually use that phone? lol I'm lucky if I get 8 hours lately:(.

Upvote 0
I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't see the amazing speed improvement. I even benched some functions like how long it takes the widget list and the activity list to appear and Voodoo clearly lost on my phone, the Activity list list took almost 3x as long on Voodoo5:eek:.

I couldn't really test the "hiccups" people claim it is smoothing out as I don't seem to have those..

Anyways now I'm looking for a way to remove it completely but its apparently a secret:D even when it is disabled it f's up the normal CWM (it can't wipe or format system and nandroids restores just wipe and format your system lol :D (I don't know why I find that funny but I do, irony I guess) so to do anything I have to reboot to the red recovery and do it there. I want to use Rom manager again:( I need to kill the red but how? Well I know how I was just hoping for a document to confirm my plans and help others that may want to remove it :cool:

I did notice the 1127 voodoo kernel did have fairly good life but I can't get anywhere near yours sap. DO you actually use that phone? lol I'm lucky if I get 8 hours lately:(.
Yeah, well that near 70 hours I got was with non-voodoo v.3 kernel and that was over Thanksgiving when I admittedly, used it lightly. Not not-at-all but lighter than normal. I will say voodoo seems close in terms of battery.

If you wanna get rid of voodoo altogether, after you have disabled it and installed a new non voodoo kernel delete the voodoo folder on your sdcard.

Upvote 0
i guess everyones set up is different, but in just i literally hated my phone on nonvoodoo dj05....i was lagging like no tomorrow in games and it was taking awhile to load stuff from long presses :thinking:

How fast does it really load stuff on a long press now? How long for the widget list? every time I timed it on the first access it was like 5 seconds with voodoo 6.5 the activity list was avg 20 seconds non voodoo avg 40+ seconds clearly not faster for me. I honestly never saw any speed increase or advantage from it. As it is right now its still just a pita if you tinker with your phone a lot. Not as bad but still

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones