1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [KERNEL] 2.2.2 Kernel for Opt M

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tripdoc79, Jan 8, 2012.

1. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 24, 2011
    OK so here is the stable no reboot kernel from 2.2.2 made flashable. this kernel is NOT overclockable, however it does support A2sd, and most importantly it fixes the rebooting issue some people have been having. so here it is

Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Turn off sig verify
    Flash and reboot

This will break your screen on animations in CyanogenMOD, after first boot go into CM settings and turn off the screen on animations.

this will show up in settings as reppards AnyROM v0.3 kernel.. however it is not.. i pulled this from bobs 2.2.2 boot image, and packed it in reppard flashable zip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42841380/OptM-2.2.2-Kernel-repack2.zip

Advertisement

benalmighty, Bryonium and bobdamnit like this.
  2. bobdamnit

bobdamnit Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    CAN CONFIRM THIS WORKS!

Huge thanks for this, tripdoc! A LOT of us would like to have a stable Optimus M, and this works for a LOT of us.

I myself would be willing to give up A2SD and overclocking for a phone that doesn't reboot daily or multiple times a day :) Plus, add in CM7, YES PLEASE!

YOUR THE MAN, TRIP!

3. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    Great news! I just installed Reppards CM7.1 ROM, flashed gapps, flashed this kernel pack, flashed a2sd, zipaligned and reset cache, and a2sd WORKS!

Native apps are on my ext3 1Gb partition, taking a whopping 4Mb of internal space. Apps open flawlessly, and install to the ext3 partition! I had one force close on Market.app, but that was because it had updated itself while it was open and downloading apps for me lol.

Again, many thanks trip! You just made 2012 for me. ICS is a bonus, at this point lol

4. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    thanx for the update bob much appreciated.. OP has been updated

5. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    Tried on both CM7 ROMS. Kernel makes screen animations no longer work.

Well, the off animation works. Screen turns back on but wont display anything.

Works great with them turned off.

6. Bryonium

Bryonium Member
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Im guessing you wouldnt be able to only flash this kernel and go on with your day? It would be like installing a new rom? (Meaning everything gets erased etc )

7. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    no.. you can just flash the kernel.. wipe cahce and dalvik cache, flash and reboot.. you will keep all your data settings etc etc.. just flashes the kernel.. if your using a2sd you will have to reflash the a2sd script afterwards..

Bryonium likes this.
  8. Bryonium

Bryonium Member
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    I wiped cache/dalvik cache, toggled signature, flashed kernel, and rebooted. It hanged at LG logo so I pulled the battery out and turned it on again. It successfully loaded but it still says r.O.C.K. Kernel v. 2.6.32.9... not sure if the new kernel was successfully installed. Any advice?
    (Btw it reset to 600 MHz, meaning it went back to stock speed...not sure if that means the new kernel was successfully installed.

9. AndroidHogs

AndroidHogs Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Tuckerman, AR
    Yea 2.2.2 kernel is stock

10. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    yes.. as i said.. i packed this into reppards flashable kernel zip.. just changed the zimage and wireless.ko files.. so it will still say rock kernel.. however it is the stock 2.2.2 kernel.. hence the 2.6.32.9

11. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    It's stock. I pulled it from the stock MS690ZV7.bin and upped it to trip. I promise its stock ;)

On a happy note, 16 hours of uptime with no force closes or reboots. A new record for my Optimus!

12. Bryonium

Bryonium Member
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Crashed two times since I flashed. I did turn off animations , but no luck. Maybe its the dolphin browser I'm using.

13. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011

It might be. I use opera mini as a standard but use opera mobile when I need it.

Quickoffice Pro is the only app I have a problem with. It force closes immediately after opening it but I had that problem with the stock update. Facebook gives me issues, but it gives EVERY Android user issues.

Well, I guess I typed too soon. Facebook just froze and rebooted my phone. After boot, ADW acted up and FC'd and once that settled down, Phandroid kept FCing over and over until I rebooted naturally. Things are smooth now, but I wonder for what caused the reboot. Facebook or the same damn issue I had previously.

Strangely, Quickoffice Pro works now.

14. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    It sometimes takes a few reboots for thing a to settle down a bit.. Also this kernel may not work for everybody.. I believe it depends on the hardware version of the phone.. I've personally never had any reboot issues with any ROM or kernel.. And mine is stable at 825..

15. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    I've got one of the original OM's. I bought it two weeks after it came out lol. My other two were purchased later and both work smooth with the r.O.C.K. kernel.

I've noticed that battery life isn't as good, even with Juice Defender. Its not off by much, an hour or two, but I can tell that heavy usage will kill the battery much faster

Phandroid app is still FCing three or four times before it works properly. Going to try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if that helps.

16. Bryonium

Bryonium Member
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Noobquestion: How do you figure out what hardware version you have? And what are the "stable HW" versions? Just curious ...

Thanks for this either way guys! Its better than nothing :)

17. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    You can't tell, other than taking a stab in the dark by purchase date. The earlier models have the problem, the later ones don't. I have two that have never froze/rebooted. Ever.

This kernel works, but it doesn't. I have found a way to consistently make it freeze and reboot. And force close apps. Have the keyboard open? Don't touch the back hardbutton. It reboots my phone everytime. I have to wait a full second after an app (or part of the app.) loads anything to do with scrolling before I can touch the screen. Failing to do so force closes the app, sometimes with no warning. With Facebook, all bets are off. Sometimes a FC, sometimes a reboot.

All of this is tolerable, however, because it acts exactly like reppards kernel does. What gets me the most is that if I type any faster than 10 keystrokes in 15 seconds, it reboots.

This is a new development since this morning. I have no idea what happened. Going to format and reflash and continue testing. (This time without a2sd

18. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    Things seem better without a2sd. Less FCing, and keyboard issue is gone. I can type as fast as I can.

I wonder if it was a bad flash somehow. When I flashed originally, the ROM had the market already, and that didn't seem right. It was the old version of the market and it wouldn't update.

Maybe a holdover from Kelso's ROM?

19. Bryonium

Bryonium Member
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    I am also having the same problems bob. The market and browser force close almost 85% of the time I do anything on them. The phone is really laggy, and has also rebooted about 6 times since yesterday. So is a no-go for me ...unfortunately.

UPDATE : In a complete ironic twist, I deleted this kernel and flashed a kernel reppard made a while ago and my phone seems to be cured! No fc's or reboots since this morning! I tried all the usual reboot suspects but no reboots :D
    I'm running under performance for governor ..and it's running flawlessly

20. tripdoc79

None

May 24, 2011
    yeah may be something with the way its packed with reppards otehr files.. ill do some research.. see if i can figure out how to use everything from boot inage you uploaded bob.. that may help a bit

21. BrandonOptimus

BrandonOptimus Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Male
    Jersey
    Is it possible that I may not have had any certain reboot issues since my phone when I first got it was a 2.2.2 version? Im on 2.2.1 stock now. And don't have any problems, at all.

22. bobdamnit

None

Jul 31, 2011
    The two I bought after my first were 2.2.2 and they don't have a problem. The first was a 2.2 an I've ha nothing but problems.

Stock, or running Kelso's ROM, I don't have a reboot issue at all.

23. BrandonOptimus

BrandonOptimus Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Male
    Jersey

Me too as well. I had 2.2.2 2.2.1 and 2.2 Both 2.2 and 2.2.1 had reboot issues. When i downgrade my 2.2.2 version to 2.2.1 stock. I had no problems what so ever.

24. mndgme

mndgme Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    Male
    Computer/Phone Technician
    Detroit, MI
    yeah I have 2 optimus' and both were 2.2.1 when I got them and manufactured in April 2011. The other one (I'm not suing right now) had reboot issues only when the phone was activated. I say that cause ever since I reverted back to my original OM I haven't had any reboots on any rom I have flashed.

I'm tempted to switch back cause the one I'm not using hasn't rebooted once since I flashed a few roms. its stable at 825 rather then my current 768. Ill do some more testing and see what happens. I haven't did the lg update to try and fix the fc and reboots ever since I switched back to my non rebooting one. since this new kernel might help, I think ill wait a bit and see if any updates make it better or OC'able.

25. bigdroo

bigdroo Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    if i flashed it over the kernel on joniedys sense rom would it still work or would i get bricked?
    just wondering if anybody tried that.

Tags: