• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (Kernel) Buttered Toast

What is the difference between these two kernels?

(Kernel) Buttered Toast & FastKernel V5 By: 2Fast4u88

Buttered toast originally was inspired by and derived from the anthrax kernel for the evo 3d. The greatest kernel ever made for any phone.

This buttered toast is my version of it for this phone. It will eventually have beats audio drivers (will give full on beats when combined with the mod) and is compiled -O3 on the linaro tool chain for extra kick.
There a few extra optimizations and patches (linaro arm cpu topology drivers for example) that make it nicer than what you may have been used to.

2fast seems to have a great Kernel, and until now the only one.

Try it and see. The next version is really nice and it hasn't even been over clocked yet.

Upvote 0
I am having issues getting this to install. Your directions dont seam to work for step 3. And I cant get it to flash, actualy not even 2fast kernal will flash now gets the same status 7 error.

Also is the ablity to contorl voltage on this kernal? To me this is one of the biggest advantages for an new kernal over stock, I was able to reduce many of the settings alot lower then stock.

Upvote 0
I am having issues getting this to install. Your directions dont seam to work for step 3. And I cant get it to flash, actualy not even 2fast kernal will flash now gets the same status 7 error.

Also is the ablity to contorl voltage on this kernal? To me this is one of the biggest advantages for an new kernal over stock, I was able to reduce many of the settings alot lower then stock.

Under voting is coming next.

As far as step 3, are you using the .img file for the recovery that you have installed? The .img file for recovery should be in the adb folder from where you are running this command.

Optionally, you can try just going into recovery and flashing the kernel if loading recovery from fast boot doesn't work. Again those were the steps I used when I flashed it the first time. After that, you just flash regular in recovery.

Upvote 0
So I decided to be bad and skip straight to step 4. Should it have not worked at all? I've never flashed that boot.img to this phone through fastboot, but your kernel went fine, as far as I can see. Should I be expecting any problems? I guess I'm asking a clarification on why it's important to do steps 1-3.

Upvote 0
So I decided to be bad and skip straight to step 4. Should it have not worked at all? I've never flashed that boot.img to this phone through fastboot, but your kernel went fine, as far as I can see. Should I be expecting any problems? I guess I'm asking a clarification on why it's important to do steps 1-3.

I included those steps because I still run the stock Rom on my wife's evo design and it was necessary to do that. If you're on a custom Rom or you have previously 2fast's kernel you may not need to do that. If you got a status 7 error when trying to install them you will need to do that.

Reactions: benwalburn
Upvote 0
Ok I was able to get it running well! Uploaded the one you did then I downgraded to CWM5 from CWM6 (Like it better becuse I can mount the SDCard anyways)
So far it seams pretty good, Maybe you could up the default SD Cache size, but not really a problem just a thought. It was benchmarked with quadrant standard about 100 to 200 points lower then 2fastv5 running same speeds and governor but thats not everything I will give it some time and test using it for a day or two see how it works. I did noticed already that with running qudrant when you run it then take a screen shot then try to run another test the program would FC, did this several times for me, but buttered toast didnt have the same fc so maybe their is more then raw speed. For the most part I never run overclocked only when pluged in so thats not really much differnace for me.

Upvote 0
Ok I was able to get it running well! Uploaded the one you did then I downgraded to CWM5 from CWM6 (Like it better becuse I can mount the SDCard anyways)
So far it seams pretty good, Maybe you could up the default SD Cache size, but not really a problem just a thought. It was benchmarked with quadrant standard about 100 to 200 points lower then 2fastv5 running same speeds and governor but thats not everything I will give it some time and test using it for a day or two see how it works. I did noticed already that with running qudrant when you run it then take a screen shot then try to run another test the program would FC, did this several times for me, but buttered toast didnt have the same fc so maybe their is more then raw speed. For the most part I never run overclocked only when pluged in so thats not really much differnace for me.

Well I'm glad you got it going. Count on more stuff being added to it over time to make it better.

Upvote 0
After using it for the evening I can tell it is noticeably more smooth for animations, After looking at the benchmarks even with the IO not as fast or not as fast CPU it actually gets really good 2D permanence giving a smooth feel to how it runs. It seams to use a bit more battery but gives about the permanence smoothness of about 1.8ghz at 1.2ghz. Just a few small things and this will be by far the best kernal for the Design! Voltage control, and overclocking up to 1.9ghz (better to just leave 2ghz out IMO, as many of these cant run 2ghz and most programs are easy to acidently more the cpu bar to max.

Upvote 0
After using it for the evening I can tell it is noticeably more smooth for animations, After looking at the benchmarks even with the IO not as fast or not as fast CPU it actually gets really good 2D permanence giving a smooth feel to how it runs. It seams to use a bit more battery but gives about the permanence smoothness of about 1.8ghz at 1.2ghz. Just a few small things and this will be by far the best kernal for the Design! Voltage control, and overclocking up to 1.9ghz (better to just leave 2ghz out IMO, as many of these cant run 2ghz and most programs are easy to acidently more the cpu bar to max.

Once I get it working right, it will have oc up to 1.8 already. 1.9 shouldn't be that hard to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones