1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Kernel][CM7][CM9][MIUI][CTMOD/H.A.R.] Kato Kernel Beta 0.4 - Overclocked 946MHz[Update 3/30/12]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trenchkato, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ironmask

ironmask Android Enthusiast

I was checking around for a CPU monitor and found this pretty cool app as well... just to sorta keep an eye on your cpu usuage... if anyone knows of a better one.. let me know..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5iYi5taWNyb2NwdSJd

My battery life seems to be fine and so far mine has been running pretty smooth on CM7 with Katos kernel.. anyway.. just thought I'd put it out there...

Here is GPS working great! :D

[​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

At some point can it be set to 600mhz and 700mhz (ish..)? I think this would allow for better CPU scaling, and the option of underclocking for bettery life. The 400mhz option is really too slow to be used :(

I'm not sure if that requires effort to do, just throwing it out there lol.

Also, those who do not have phones that will overclock... I will nearly guarantee you if you can figure out a way to increase the core voltage it will take the overclock. More voltage nearly always equates to more stable and more overclockability (with the addition of more heat, but when dealing with so little voltage I don't think that would be a big deal).

3. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

Thank you for this link!!! Awesome find, went to my "must have apps" list immediately (unless i find out it's taking up too many system resources or something lol).

This is just like the "Dogfood's registry tweak" I used for the Dell Axim x51v. I do wish it had other monitor options like dogfood's registry tweak though (like CPU scale/speed, battery level, signal level, etc).

You may be wondering why I say battery level, glad you should ask! This app was AMAZING for knowing your battery levels while watching full screen videos and playing full screen games

4. trenchkato

trenchkato Android Enthusiast

I need some crash test dummies for something higher (people using ctmod)... HOWEVER

I dont have high expectations for anything higher than the 946 we have now... I am moving on to getting a functional cm9...

5. ironmask

ironmask Android Enthusiast

Count me in for getting CM9 up and running smoother.. I really love the look and feel of it.
    Just wish we could get it running smoother.

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

6. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

Dummy here, ready for take off. I think my phone can do much more, especially with a bit higher vcore.

7. mavrikmeercat

mavrikmeercat Android Enthusiast

Freakin awesome Kato!!

I go take some time in the Transform Ultra threads to make a ROM and do some dev for them and when I come back I see all kinds of stuff going on back at home:D

Tested this.. did a fresh install of CM7 beta5 w/ mapfix+ext-kernel..
    set up all my apps and then installed th OC kernel.

Went flawless!! used set cpu because I found that my scheduler was already sio after installing the katokernel. Not sure if that was intended or not..

set my minimum freq. to 128mhz because I had a lag on waking and unlocking
    gradually whent up to 946mhz max and is very stable. didn't get any reboots and batt. never got higher than 32c. and beleive me, I put some major stress on it for like two hours straight

Battery drain is worse no matter what govenor i used but only when using the phone.. about 1% per min. when using the phone/screen but verry good when asleep(about the same as w/o the katokernel

ondemand was not good for me at all.. interactiveX was verry snappy untill i started multitasking while listening to music via bluetooth headset/truck. I got a choppy music with Very bad lag on the phone.

I've found the best gov for me being smartassv2. good balence, no lag at all.. :D

Thanks for this Kato!! you rock man.. my phone is flying now!! didn't even think this prevail would ever be able to get rid of the lag completely. I have been proven wrong

EDIT: noop is way faster for me

my settings
    noop
    smartassv2
    964mhz max.
    196mhz min
    running at boot form init.d script

8. trenchkato

See what happens when you leave the flock. :D ....

9. mavrikmeercat

haha.. IKR?

10. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

After 10 hours in the car, charging with wifi tether going, bluetooth & online streaming, and navigation all at once @ 946mhz, I can say with confidence my phone has absolutely no trouble achieving this overclock.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, I have no idea why you think not much more 946 can be had. I don't see any signs of struggle what so ever at this clock (though I realize it could hit a "digital cliff").

11. mavrikmeercat

Everyone please list your settings?? we need to know what results have been found. It's very inportant. seems we are getting mixed results from phone to phone. Mine works great on these..
    my settings
    noop
    smartassv2
    964mhz max.
    196mhz min
    running at boot form init.d script

I decided to flash the wife's prevail. same ROM done with the exact same process and her's just doesn't like the OC kernel at all. tested for three days. tried all these settings
    using katokernel w/ext same as mine
    noop, smartassv2. = FCs, some lag, reboots
    noop, interactiveX = FCs, freezes, reboots
    noop, ondemand = FCs, completely frozen, reboots
    sio, ondemand = FC's, lots of lag, rebooted twice
    sio, interactiveX = FCs, some lag, rebooted once
    sio, smartassv2 = FCs. lag, reboots
    deadline settings didn't work either. had same issues..
    had to flash back normal mapfixkernelw/ext for it to function properly for daily use. IDK.
    please put up your successful settings:D

12. johnny424

johnny424 Android Expert

same deal with me...my phone and my wifes are both setup the exact same way..with ctmod 3.4 same oc settings and all...my phone is running like a champ..hers is acting really strange..probally gonna odin her back to stock for now..but i agree..i think everyones phones will act 100% different

13. mavrikmeercat

I just put the normal cm7w/ext kernel back on her's. it works fine now. it just doesnt like the OCed one for some reason.. sucks because my phone is freakin fast!!!

I deactivated my Transform Ultra and I'm back on my prevail.. I'm completely happy with it. maybe Ill go back to the tu when we get cm9 working. lol untill then it looks like I have a dev phone cuz I love my prevail way more now!!!

14. johnny424

johnny424 Android Expert

lol..i would probally switch back to my prevail full time too if the boost reps werent such a pain in the ass..everytime i try and switch its like a hour and a half thing lol..i think for now ill hang with the tu and hold out hope..but i have been debating on switching back for a couple weeks now

15. mavrikmeercat

you know you can change handsets right from the website right? I've done it like 4 times already.. took me like 5 min. easy as hell. my shrinkage carried over and all

16. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

I agree Marvik, changing handsets from the Boost site if definitely the easiest way.:D

17. johnny424

johnny424 Android Expert

i wish i would have known that the past few times i switched..only problem i had was the activation notice wouldnt pop up after switching on their site so i needed to manually activate it but i was using
    ctmod..forgot it didnt have hidden menu lol..

18. Here's how to install kato on CM7 Beta 5 with no problems.

Make sure to download CM7 without sd-ext. When I downloaded the zip with sd-ext, I experienced a huge problem. I was no longer able to get back into CM7 (screen frozen saying android) and had to reinstall the CM7 zip. So to be on the safe side this time I did a backp with CWM and Titanium Backup.

I downloaded Kato CM7 without sd-ext, rebooted into recovery, install from zip, reboot (may have to reboot twice), then CM7 boots (no Kato splash screen). After that, go to about phone, and you will see it under kernel version. Then I used Voltage Control and it worked!

I hope this helps anyone on CM7 that is still having problems installing this kernel.

19. Konceptz

Konceptz Well-Known Member

I just want to say thanks again to all you guys. Just installed the .04 kernel and once again im happy with my phone. you dont know how many times ive tought about going and buying another boost phone, but you guys just keep making what i have better. Just ran quadrant and got it up to 1663. When I was on CM7 with SD to ext only i was around 1400 so definetly a big improvement, it feels and works a lot faster. awesome job!

How if Feel >>> :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. 525Local

525Local Newbie

I was having trouble finding a stable setting with Voltage Control. Tried the version from XDA forums, and the market update. Stability test would run fine, but Angry Birds would f/c. Tried other settings and Stabilty test ok, but Netflix would f/c, or Browser would f/c... Sometimes I would get random restarts. So I switched to the Antutu Cpu Master so many others were using, and found a very stable (for 3 days) setting for my phone. Not sure why one would work better than the other (Antutu Cpu Master vs. Voltage Control), but that is my experience. Tested everything I use regularly, and the only hic`up I found was a f/c on the alarm feature on the stock Clock app. The alarm went off fine (though the sound was distorted and slower than normal), but the usual screen with the Snooze & Dismiss buttons didnt appear. I kept pressing the physical Unlock button at the top, and didnt wait to allow it to open...so unlock screen would appear and disappear...fianally I pressed and waited. The unlock screen appeared, and I dismissed the alarm. It may be that my minimum setting is too low...but for the battery savings I can live with that. I also ran the Cpu + Gpu Stablity Test for over an hour, but when I tried to take a screenshot it came out black and the test stopped (not f/c just stopped). Temp was just over 32 degrees celcius at the time. Battery drain is alittle faster when playing games or watching netflix, but the differnence isnt much. Even so battery life is still much improved over pre-root stock, and the performance boost is a worthy offset IMHO. Good stuff. Thanx TrenchKato.

Cm7 beta 5 (D2EXT)
    Cm7 B5 update Adreno
    Kato Kernal Beta 0.4 (cm7-ext)
    22Citibunfixed script
    muicamera fix
    80 + Apps (curse you Amazon FAOTD)

OC settings
    I/O = sio
    Gov = smoothass
    Min = 98
    Max = 946

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benchmarks used to come in @ around 1400 +/_

[​IMG]

mavrikmeercat likes this.
  21. trenchkato

Everyones phone is different... but i think that running the lower at 120 is helping a little

22. wetbiker7

Added CM7 w/ KatoKernel to the AnTuTu Benchmark score thread.:D

23. mavrikmeercat

getting better results from Antutu CPU master too on the wife's prevail..

had A LOT of trouble getting hers to OC at all..
    Again, Mine runs like a bat out of hell with no problems on these settings
    CM7 B5 katokernel w/ data ext
    Set CPU (profiles enabled)
    Max. 946MHz
    Min. 120MHz
    I/0 = noop
    Gov. = Smartassv2

I had so many problems with her's getting constant force closes, freezing, and reboots when opening apps and getting calls that nothing worked. I tested all speeds (even 98 min. and 800 max, with noop and ondemand) I/0s, and Governors. nothing worked..
    So I decided to try CTMod 3.4. I got similar results after setting up the data ext, apps, and voltage control. Just couldn't find a stable setting. I tested for days while she bitched at me for screwing up her phone. lol
    then I read 525Local's post and decided to try it. Antutu Is much better.
    idk why but it's running much more stable now. Not really looking to post stuff about CTMod here but I beleive that Kouma's new kernel is still based on kato's OC kernel so settings might just carry over for both..

Wife's stable settings:
    CTMod 3.4 with data ext enabled
    Antutu CPU master free
    Min. 120MHz
    Max. 888MHz ( best stress test results and get reboots if I go any higher)
    I/0 = noop best results
    Gov. = smoothass

hope this helps someone else..

24. wetbiker7

HAH ! I see that I'm not the only one that has ran noop. I usually run that or sio for everyday use. VR is supposedly good for peak performance but I've tried it and haven't had that good of results. From the articles I've read, noop is actually the best setting on a lot of phones.:D

25. BARBER11

BARBER11 Lurker

First off thanks to everyone involved for sacrificing to make this happen.
    Long story short I had typed different post but some how lost connection.
    I'm new to all this but some how managed to find u guys and root my phone on first attempt.
    I've never owned an android smartphone anything close. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have an 8g w/out partition and running
    Android: 2.3.6
    Band: sm820.07 x fa19
    KERNEL 2.6.34.14 kk 2.4
    Hware: m820.07

Where do I start.? Thanks for your time

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, MSM7627-3 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews