• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root kernel flash

trux01

Lurker
Dec 12, 2011
Ok, so im a noob at this. I rooted my og droid with super one click, have superuser, and installed busybox. I want to flash a new kernel into the 2.2.2 os, ive downloaded it to my sd card after renaming it as a .zip, opened my phone into recovery and wiped the cache, it doesnt have a davilk wipe from what i see, and tried to install it but it says no such file and aborts. i also have the same problem with the system update to 2.2.3 i keep getting from verizon. whats the easiest thing i can do to flash the kernel without the possibility of bricking my phone????

I would guess the OP is only using the stock recovery, since there isn't a "Wipe Dalvik Cache" option available (but he may not be looking in the right location either).

So, I guess the easiest thing would be to...

- Install ROM Manager
- Flash ClockworkMod
- Reboot into Recovery
- Nandroid Backup
- Wipe x3
- Apply any zip from SD Card

Now, what are the options on the Stock Recovery? I haven't used it in so long, but if I remember correctly...

- Reboot system now
- apply sdcard: update.zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache parition

Where as CWM would have those plus the following (at least on the version I am using, 2.5.0.1)

- install zip from SD Card
- nandroid
- partitions menu
- advanced (this is where Wipe Dalvik Cache is, for the OP)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones