• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] Franco Kernel Discussion (r68)

Why aren't any custom kernels compatible with CM anymore? I mean CM has a great kernel stock but what gives?

They no longer use a purely AOSP base for the ROM.

They now use a CAF (Qualcomm's open source) base and kernels based on AOSP won't work. The timing of this change depends on the device, but occurred within the last year

CAF is less optimized than the AOSP code built specifically for our device.

Kinda sucks. Franco kernel "plus" works with CM11 on the nexus 4 but Idk if the developer is going to support the N5 or not. Hope so

Its cm inc's decision that makes other kernels not compatible

Some devs don't want to maintain multiple kernels just because one (rather large) dev group went off and did their own thing. On a nexus device it doesn't really make sense to switch to a less optimized base. On non-nexus devices it isnt AS big of a deal, but when we already have optimized AOSP available its a step backwards if you ask me.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
So...(at the risk of offending someone) Cyanogenmod is a "step backwards" in your opinion?

Not at all :). The rom itself is a very popular ROM with some great additions to stock AOSP. I ran it quite a bit on my S3.

IMO (this is all my opinion) moving to a CAF base on a nexus device when we already have fully available source was a bad decision. It fragmented the nexus ROMs/kernels into CAF or AOSP, with seemingly no good reason for doing so.

Its not as big of deal on non nexus devices because they don't have AOSP support, so every "aosp" ROM is based on cyanogenmods caf base. Therefore no fragmentation.

I've never seen CMs reasoning for this decision.

Reactions: jhawkkw and jmar
Upvote 0
What is voice+?

Voice+ is an app with some framework modifications that allow one to send/receive Google Voice texts using the Google Voice number itself in any messaging app you want. If you've never used the Google Voice app for texting, let me just tell you it's atrocious as far as organization goes. Using a standard messaging app fixes this.

Upvote 0
Pushed r21:

* Added KEXEC MultiRom patch
* Severe improvements to interactive to make it more intelligent during high CPU load for long periods of time
* Merged a series of patches from upstream to improve the kernel threads management per each cpu
* Improved the hotplug driver algorithm
* Merged two patches from showp to decrease the minimum brightness values

Have fun!

happy flashing:D

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0
How do you get the speaker boost settings to remain after phone is shut off OR do they need to be reset each time phone is charged.. The fast USB charge seems to stick...

If you long press the setting, a box comes up with a description and a "set on boot" check box. I think checking that box will do it.

Reactions: Rxpert83 and 4ubest
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones