• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root kernel help for syncing boot audio needed!

godfeast

Sep 28, 2012
Florida
OLD * read a couple posts down for current issues *

I am using an open android rom but Ive changed the boot animation and would like to add a corresponding audio track - then moving on to the same for the shutdown as well.

To start, where is the boot audio file located and what is it called?

Is there a line in build.prop that needs modified as well, and if so, how?

Thanks

I am using an open android rom but Ive changed the boot animation and would like to add a corresponding audio track - then moving on to the same for the shutdown as well.

To start, where is the boot audio file located and what is it called?

Is there a line in build.prop that needs modified as well, and if so, how?

Thanks

make sure the audio file you plan on using is a .wav file. The pathname for the file is system/etc and you have to name the the file poweron.wav
you dont need to change the build prop, dont mess with the build prop unless you know what you are doing my friend. in the system/bin there is a file called samsungboot. open it with a text editor such as notepad++ and to make animation run longer just open samsungloop with text editer and change the 15 to a 30

as for a shutdown sound location, system/media/audio/ui it will be an .ogg file named shutdown.ogg

Upvote 0
Ive gotten pretty far on this, but I cannot get my boot sound to sync up with the bootanimation or play for as long as the animation goes.

Changes so far (resulting in some sound) taken from various guides and such on other samsung models ( basically shooting in the dark and hoping for a score):

1. installed the dr who boot animation going around the web that has tardis falling through the vortex - plays fine.

2. edited build.prop to include a line: ro.config.play.bootsound=1 (by accident I found that having more than one of these lines in build.prop caused sound to not play)

3. added a snippet of the dr who theme song as .wav file to /system/etc and renamed it poweron.wav

(Discovered that lengths of over 15 seconds get cut short - not sure if I canwork around this, but at this point, that seems to mean that if I want audio on my entire bootimage, then bootimage must be =< 15 seconds in length)

4. edited/created /system/etc/init.local.rc to have lines (think I dont have this right or isnt being called correctly):

service bootsound /system/etc/poweron.wav
user media
group audio
disabled
oneshot

on property:init.svc.bootanim=running
start bootsound

on property:dev.bootcomplete=1
stop bootsound

The bootanimation is fine. The sound starts a bit early ( on the model number splash) then plays and stops about 2/3 way through the bootanimation.

Can someone tell me what I am likely doing wrong or how I can sync this together?

I think I am not calling the script in init.local.rc correctly or the script is wrong somehow, as it should make the sound file play only during bootanimation and stop when it stops.

Links to files I am stripping things from (didnt record where on web they came from, so unable to give props to real creators - sorry)

1.Bootanimation file installed with cwm from sdcard http://www.sendspace.com/file/wosw2v

2.Sound file http://www.sendspace.com/file/u909no

Upvote 0
Im learning anyways, so I dont suppose editing the kernel is something easily done?

lol

RE: after just a few minutes of reading, it seems that the boot.img accesses init.rc during the boot process - is this the reason why theres a script that on other devices (htc I think) that makes and uses the above init.local.rc? I can tell obviously that this is attempting to control the sound placement and length.

Does this become another init file on the admire kernel by chance, or do I just have the script inside the init.local.rc written wrong for my device?

I could use someone with experience to LMK.

Thanks again

rereading some faqs on the droid seems to indicate that I failed in init.local.rc when I changed this value "service bootsound /system/etc/poweron.wav" from service bootsound/system/bin/bootsound.

Theres a script in there that sets a value too and I thought it was just a directory for the wav file ( dont ask why i ignored the service value - ughhh).

Working on this again tomorrow, but still open to help if anyone has gotten this right before!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones