1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Kernel help***is working***

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hurrilanche, Apr 29, 2012.

1. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Im new to android developing and im having a hard time getting started. Ive spent the last few days reading and I just can find how to get the .config file for the kernel. Can anyone help me out?

***It might not be as exciting to anyone else but I finally built my kernel and got it to boot and it runs fine. It wouldnt boot because I didnt have the ZVC source, i was working with the ZV4 source :pound: and it would hang on the boot screen. I didnt really make too many changes that would improve performance so its not worth uploading, now that I half ass know what im doing maybe I will be able to start to contribute a thing or two around here. Thanks to all that helped me out.

Advertisement

2. Aries2010

Aries2010 Member
    None

Mar 10, 2012
    Male
    Walmart(Cashier)
    South Carolina
    What exactly do you wanna do?

3. ndno

ndno Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2012
  4. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Awesome man. I didnt know which one to use. I figured it had to be one of those, but i tried the wrong ones(the omap configs) and it wouldnt work. Thanks

5. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Ive been stuck on this for a few days. Im not sure if my path is right, cause i dont really understand it that well but this is the error im getting

VDSO arch/x86/vdso/vdso.so.dbg
    gcc: error: elf_x86_64: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** [arch/x86/vdso/vdso.so.dbg] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [arch/x86/vdso] Error 2
    make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2

any ideas?

6. ndno

ndno Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2012
    Looks like you're not using the cross compiler. You're using the built-in x86 gcc compiler which is not correct. Sorry, don't have the time to guide you through this. If you don't know how to setup the cross compiler dev environment, please Google for help. Have you done this before with another target processor?

7. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    I dont want anyone to guide me through it, I wanted to figure it out it all myself, but ive been trying for about 5 days now googleing everything and havent been successful. I appreciate you telling me where im going wrong, i did find away around this error before by editing the vdso makefile but i dont believe it was the correct way. thanks again for telling me where im messing up. i have built one kernel before but i wasnt able to use it because i didnt have that phone.

8. asadullah

asadullah Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Ironworker
    casselberry
    theres a readme file in the source code that tells you exactly how to compile the kernel. It will make the .config file for you. Just cause I think it's better though I would edit the sniperconfig in arch/arm/configs and everything will be written to the cofig

hurrilanche likes this.
  9. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    correct its best to make your edits to the defconfig rather than to .config. .config is the working copy of your defconfig when compiling and will be deleted when doing a make mrproper.

I also make a copy of the stock defconfig n rename it for my use so I always have a copy of the stock to fall back on. ;)

hurrilanche likes this.
  10. ndno

ndno Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2012
    What I usually do with configuration is leave the default configuration inside arch/arm/configs alone and not touch it. Then issue this to create the .config working copy:

Then play around the working copy (.config) with this command

Once you have something to your own customizations that you like, you can copy your working copy (.config) to the arch/arm/configs folder but as a different name (i.e. my_sniper_lab3_emmc_defconfig). This way you don't touch the original defconfig in case you need to see what you changed. Going forward, you can load your own defconfig:

11. ndno

ndno Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2012
    If you look in the readme file (top level when you extract the LG 855 source), it tells you that you need to download and install the cross compiler dev tool from G++ code sourcery; you need to download it, set it up, configure the paths correctly before you can do a build. It looks like you just using the default x86 GCC that's part of your Linux host.

hurrilanche likes this.
  12. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    I really appreciate all your help guys. I've never thought this would be so much fun but it is! I've been staying up all hours of the night just trying different things,(obviously unsuccessfully) but still having tons of fun. I had downloaded the 2010q1 ccompiler but i guess i dont have my path set up properly. well im gonna read some more stuff and hopefully ill be able to get it right this time, either way i know im gonna enjoy doing it. thanks again for the pointers.

13. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Success! I fixed my cross compile path and I got it. Now I just have to make it a flash able zip when I get home from work. Thanks again for the help guys.

14. hurrilanche

hurrilanche Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    fixed first post

15. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    Hurrilanche if you ever need someone to test for ya I'm always available man, just send me a PM with the link, ok?

hurrilanche likes this.
Tags: