• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][Linaro][O/C][GPL][31 JAN] A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix JB

animania260

Android Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2012
GPL compliant on Github: Kernel Source

Google the CPU governors to see which might be best for you. They basically just change how the CPU ramps the frequency up and down for better performance and or better performance, with minimal to no battery loss.

Change log:
Major Update!
*Wipe dalvik cache once before flashing this version.
- ARM specific performance improvements; ARM Optimized ARM RWSEM, RWSEM updated to Linux 3.10
- Faster I\O throughput
- Some WiFI driver fixes
- Low Memory Killer, Binder, the Workqueue subsystem, and others, updated to Android/Linux 3.4+ kernel.
- Kernel has been updated to 3.0.101 (end of life) - Hundreds of bug fixes (ext4, arm; time, workqueue, sync, sched subsystem fixes, etc.)
- Freed a total of 27.2 MB from Kernel for System use. We have a total of 639.2 MB of available RAM now.
- Dec 22: Enabled Unaligned Memory Access. Bumped RAM speed in Antuntu benchmark
- MSM Bus updated to 3.4 Kernel source + fixes
- Lots of DMA-Buff and Sync patches.
- Kfreebytes: sets aside more RAM to keep available/free
- Enabled KSM Page Merging in kernel config and add feature to RamDisk to enable in system
- Switched back to the SLAB memory allocator which seems to have resolved any freezing issues users were having
- Properly enabled all ZRAM features in the kernel config. ZRAM works better now.
*Note: The ZRAM switch in Trickster does not work on our device. You will need to use the 90zram script below to activate ZRAM.

AKernel-v3.3-r9-fix
Click the "File" tab in the upper left and click "Download"
My shared directory on Google Drive- will be putting all Rush related stuff here. (for the Galaxy Rush)
Universal init.d

If your using another ROM skip and follow below steps:
1. Download this script 90zram
2. Copy it to /etc/init.d and you have to set all permissions to allow.
3. Open terminal and type:
su
cd /etc/init.d
./90zram

Type "free" and make sure the last line under 'swap' has numbers other then 0 and it's enabled.
If you don't copy the script to /etc/init.d ZRAM will not be re-enabled next time you reboot.

Don't go over 64MB; it won't kill your phone (probably..) but it will slow down from to much memory being reserved and taken for ZRAM.
ZRAM basically compresses device RAM to use for swap space. ZRAM swaps to RAM instead of internal storage (an HDD; in this case NAND Flash). MUCH faster swapping. Once the reserved amount is full, then swaps to disk (Internal NAND Flash) as normal.

[/B]
---You know the drill; I am not responsible for any damage done to your device. Do not blame me if you fry you're CPU, just saying.---

I was thinking about the same. 1.5 GHz would definitely be sweet spot for us, but there is not a 1.5 GHz in the frequency table. I can probably add it but I'm not pushing my luck (for now).

When I learn more and talk to down the machine about adding it to the table I'll try it. I'm running 1.4 right now but when I flashed the first working build (o/c working, all my builds worked/booted) and it went to the highest frequency, 1.8 GHz. I let it run - once I realized how stable it was - for a few hours. Didn't over heat and had no stability problems.

1.8 might be the actual Max the engineers intended? Which really doesn't make since because the max I've seen this chip is 1.4 GHz.

Idk but it works. I just finished an O/c kernel for the Reverb since superboy4444 requested, just had to do the same edits- the Reverb has the same chip as ours. Anyway now I'm going to start adding govenours, I/O schedulers, patches for Zram, init.d support with auto zip align and strtict min-free-memory tweaks and a few others I forgot :)

Upvote 0
Yeah do it man, please lol. If anybody can help with any kind of flash able zip that will JUST flash the boot.img and leave /system alone please feel free.
:)

Just post back or shoot me a PM whichever if you get something. I'm about to test some myself.

This took all day thanks to my GF's talking about V-day.

Anyways let me know if you guys want my build.prop edit that skips the boot animation and lcd density at 150. it makes it boot really fast when clocked to 1.8ghz which I run on mine.

1.4Ghz :rolleyes:

1.8Ghz :D

Upvote 0
This took all day thanks to my GF's talking about V-day.

Anyways let me know if you guys want my build.prop edit that skips the boot animation and lcd density at 150. it makes it boot really fast when clocked to 1.8ghz which I run on mine.

1.4Ghz :rolleyes:

1.8Ghz :D

I flashed 1.8ghz yesterday and no problems and love it..I'm still running the "almost" stock and everything is great!
thank you
keep up the great work guys!

Reactions: animania260
Upvote 0
Just FYI I did a successful compile with the Linaro tool-chain.

Shabby stated there is no gains using this but I would like to test this, flash a linaro build and compare benchmarks with SourceryCode tool-chain build.

I'd prefer to use Linaro as the default going forward though either way as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Upvote 0
Just FYI I did a successful compile with the Linaro tool-chain.

Shabby stated there is no gains using this but I would like to test this, flash a linaro build and compare benchmarks with SourceryCode tool-chain build.

I'd prefer to use Linaro as the default going forward though either way as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1371044

ezekeel is a very well known kernel dev who is amazing (makes me look like im drooling on myself)

linaro is proven to speed things up, but in userland compiling (the rom) not in the kernel. which is why cm merged in a bunch of linaro optimizations to their rom back in cm9

Upvote 0
Ah okay, that's what I was reading then (I didn't read the whole article because I started drooling about Linaro after reading about the better performance lol)

Thanks for clarifying Shabby my man.

I was wondering, there has to be a way to be able to compile the ROM source (an actual working build) for the Rush (like CM does and others for phones that are not Nexus devices).
Do they just take the pre-built parts that aren't including in the actual open source code, put it with the source in the right place's and then compile which should produce a working ROM- or am I completely off here. I haven't really done any research on that yet but was just thought about that the other day.

Thanks again
Edit: Very nice article, thank you!

Upvote 0
Ah okay, that's what I was reading then (I didn't read the whole article because I started drooling about Linaro after reading about the better performance lol)

Thanks for clarifying Shabby my man.

I was wondering, there has to be a way to be able to compile the ROM source (an actual working build) for the Rush (like CM does and others for phones that are not Nexus devices).
Do they just take the pre-built parts that aren't including in the actual open source code, put it with the source in the right place's and then compile which should produce a working ROM- or am I completely off here. I haven't really done any research on that yet but was just thought about that the other day.

Thanks again
Edit: Very nice article, thank you!

cm compiles the entire rom from source, and adds in the libs and vendor blobs to make things work. there is no way for you to compile stock rom.

Upvote 0
Okay, but: I can compile the platform source that is provided then add the missing parts (that I can't build from source) like you said: libs and vendor blobs right, which would produce a working ROM?

nope, the source they provide is only whats needed to legally be released under gpl

Upvote 0
Update:

Figured out why it won't allow to dynamically set the CPU frequencies in a ROM, also added CPU governors from downthemachines source and the 2 I/O schedulers as well.

CPU Governors added:
+ Lulzactiveq
+ Lazy
+ Lagfree
+ Badass
+ Smartassv2
+ Pegasusq

I/O Schedulers:
+ VR
+ SIO

Enabled Swap support in the kernel.

I'm Testing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones