• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel] motley kernel NO MORE REVERTING CPU SPEEDS!

ChiweN

Android Expert
Dec 5, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Hi guys, I'm sure most of us running custom kernels on our n7's have noticed the clock speeds reset to default whenever the device goes to sleep.

Motley over at xda has found a way (POWERHAL) to make our settings stick, and has incorporated powerhal into his kernel (cleverly named motley kernel lol).

No more screwing with profiles to make clock speeds stick, and honestly this kernel seems further along in development than the others (Trinity, faux, franco, etc). My n7 runs like butter on this thing.

Thus far I've tested it on several ROMs; EOS(my daily driver, especially now that notifications are fixed), Glazed jellybean, liquid and CM7 (winner00's and euroskank).

Here's the info.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1775798

I've been noticing the speed reset and thought it was a fault of the various rom's I've been flashing to try out. I've been using trinity kernel as it was the first non-stock kernel I read about. Thanks for the heads up.

Which of the numerous flavours of motley kernel are you using?

I'm using 1.1.1 build 219. ( gpu overclocked to 484mhz) :D my n7 is running like a dream.

Upvote 0
I'm using 1.1.1 build 219. ( gpu overclocked to 484mhz) :D my n7 is running like a dream.

That's the one I chose and it is running great. When I had the trinity kernel I couldn't oc past 1500 as it would crash very quickly when running the stability test program.

With this, with the built in gpu overclock, I've set the cpu to 1600 and run the stability test cpu + gpu for over an hour with no problem. Don't mean to disparage the work of anyone of those people who know waaaay more about these things than I do but these have been my observations.

Upvote 0
I've been noticing the speed reset and thought it was a fault of the various rom's I've been flashing to try out. I've been using trinity kernel as it was the first non-stock kernel I read about. Thanks for the heads up.

Which of the numerous flavours of motley kernel are you using?

I'm running the 220 no gpu overclock. I don't really see a need for it, games and graphics intensive programs work perfectly without.

Upvote 0
v 1.1.1 causes sometime soundcrackles on waking up the n7.
Ive tested with another kernel which worked perfect..
I cant post anything in this forum.. can somebody tell them,please?
I would love to jse the kernel!

Hmm. I've been using 1.1.1 build 219 (gpu over clock) since I started this thread and haven't experienced any issues at all.

Seems like an isolated incident. Try one if the other 1.1.1 builds maybe.

Upvote 0
I already tried the others.. all of them are causing that issue.
Other ppl got that problem,too.
Ive also tried another nexus 7.. same thing
Im sure its caused by motley cuz when using
Trinity 7 it works perfect.. but infinity cant be overclocked to
1.6ghz so i would like to have a motley kernel without that issue

Upvote 0
I already tried the others.. all of them are causing that issue.
Other ppl got that problem,too.
Ive also tried another nexus 7.. same thing
Im sure its caused by motley cuz when using
Trinity 7 it works perfect.. but infinity cant be overclocked to
1.6ghz so i would like to have a motley kernel without that issue

I haven't read about others with that issue, here or in motleys thread on xda. Not that I'm saying it's not true, but I've not seen it.

Ive used motley on my old n7 I got replaced, my new replacement device and my wife's. No issues like this at all for us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones