• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel]OptimusM OC stock 2.2.1

not sure what I did different... i think reppard re-uploaded the update, cuz last time I downloaded it i thought it said 0.2 not signed and i also see a md5sum, so I...

re downloaded and checked the md5sum and all was good,
flashed it(though it says signed I had to disable verification)
unplugged the phone from my usb
started adb logcat
rebooted phone and plugged into usb
saw it sitting on the second lg screen for a few seconds before I saw logcat start rolling
ran outside to shout off my balcony, "I HAVE DA POWA!!!"

... i don't think the last part is necessary...

Upvote 0
Well here is a beta overclockable kernel for the optimus m that came with 2.2.1 stock. This allows you to change your cpus speed and has the potential to damage your phone if not used with common sense. That said, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU F UP YOUR PHONE! Every CPU chip is different so stable speeds will vary from phone to phone. My phone isn't stable above 787 MHz. That doesn't mean yours can't go higher :)

Download the zip to your sdcard.
Reboot into recovery.
Wipe your cache and dalvik cache.
Flash and reboot.

You will need setcpu or a similar program to change frequencies. I have to configure the gbrom so the cmod7 settings will have that ability. Hit the thanks button if this helps and the donate link if it really really helps :)

Big thanks to asadullah for organizing our mob on LG and making the source code possible!

Enjoy!

UPDATE:
Ok so I tried to compile the wifi modules from source to include with this kernel update. They compiled wifi still wasn't functioning so I think LG is being sneaky with some propietary source for those modules. Well that doesnt matter because I thought of a lazier work around!!! I just created a flashable update which includes the boot.img with the modified kernel so wifi works after this is flashed!

THIS VERSION WILL WORK WITH GB CMOD7 ONLY!
This is because I used the boot.img from the gbrom obviously BUT don't fret. I will be happy to make versions compatible with your rom of choice, you need only provide me with the boot.img from said rom. These will be posted in the reserve spot. Give her a rip. The people that had boot loop problems in the first version please report your results if you try this out.

Repacked, Resigned.

DOWNLOAD

MD5 Sum: c39e68e1022b7cf52dcb5b5fd29f81ac

Everything works fine for me except if i go above 800, I set it above 800 and got the boot loop, had to take battery out and setcpu to auto detect settings to get out of that boot loop, lol ill take 787 over 600 :D
2q0q8mx.png

Upvote 0
not sure what I did different... i think reppard re-uploaded the update, cuz last time I downloaded it i thought it said 0.2 not signed and i also see a md5sum, so I...

re downloaded and checked the md5sum and all was good,
flashed it(though it says signed I had to disable verification)
unplugged the phone from my usb
started adb logcat
rebooted phone and plugged into usb
saw it sitting on the second lg screen for a few seconds before I saw logcat start rolling
ran outside to shout off my balcony, "I HAVE DA POWA!!!"

... i don't think the last part is necessary...

HMM, I think he set the max cpu lower in the update, meaning its below the boot loop threshold on your phone and still higher than the threshold on my phone.

I hope I'm wrong but it would be JUST my luck to have a phone that wasn't stable 1mhz over stock...

Upvote 0
HMM, I think he set the max cpu lower in the update, meaning its below the boot loop threshold on your phone and still higher than the threshold on my phone.

I hope I'm wrong but it would be JUST my luck to have a phone that wasn't stable 1mhz over stock...

when I booted up it was set at 600 MHz :/

when did you get your phone?

Upvote 0
Under certain circumstances, I'm still getting stuck in a bootloop. Each time, wiping the Dalvik cache has cleared up the problem.

I've noticed that since using the OC kernel, the Dalvik cache is becoming huge, or so it seems as it now takes a long time to wipe.

Yes dave i went by the instructions exactly wiping dalvik and cache had no problems until i set cpu too high.

Upvote 0
EVERYTIME i try and flash the kernal it stops at the second lg logo and does nothing help please i even reflash the rom and same thing.

blaxican what i did was started from scratch,
first i went into recovery and wiped everything except /sd-ext Then flashed the updated cm7 rom then rebooted,Then flashed the kernel and reboot, Then go into set cpu or whatever youre using and went from there, The first time i set it too high and had to start over because of the boot loop, so i set it to 787. Then rebooted and Set it to nvidia tegra and went to the next highest setting 816 then rebooted, Everything works ok. remember when flashing kernel just wipe cache and dalvik cach

Upvote 0
So when mine bootloops (as it still does occasionally when it crashes due to OC) I can get it to reboot normally by wiping only Dalvik cache.

I know I sound like a broken record, but what I see consistently from those of you with bootloops is that you're reflashing the kernel at the same time, it seems.

Try this; when your phone crashes and begins bootlooping, remove the battery.

After removing the battery for a few seconds, put it back on.

Use the hardware keys to enter recovery (Vol Down + Home + Power).

Once in recovery, only wipe Dalvik cache and reboot.

Unless my phone is different (which I guess it could be) this fixes the bootloop every time. No need to reflash anything.

Upvote 0
So when mine bootloops (as it still does occasionally when it crashes due to OC) I can get it to reboot normally by wiping only Dalvik cache.

I know I sound like a broken record, but what I see consistently from those of you with bootloops is that you're reflashing the kernel at the same time, it seems.

Try this; when your phone crashes and begins bootlooping, remove the battery.

After removing the battery for a few seconds, put it back on.

Use the hardware keys to enter recovery (Vol Down + Home + Power).

Once in recovery, only wipe Dalvik cache and reboot.

Unless my phone is different (which I guess it could be) this fixes the bootloop every time. No need to reflash anything.

I have booted into recovery cleared ALL, flashed CM7, cleared both caches then flashed kernel and it still boot loops.

I've wiped both caches, flashed rom, reboot, wipe both caches, flash kernel, boot loop.

Heck I cant even flash the supposedly stock kernel posted in this thread without boot loop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones