• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kernel set-ups

foxII

Nov 21, 2010
Since I did not see a post for this and thought it would be a good one stop bump:

Can anyone who upgraded their kernel and got good results post all their setup parameters. I want to upgrade and it would be easier for me or anyone else to just emulate it.

Also please name the kernel and if its only for a specific ROM.

You can't really do this because a kernel that works on my phone may make yours run horrible, I don't know why but kernels vary phone to phone. Although if you want to see what I'm running check the sig. The one in my sig is generally a good one but if it messes up on your pone try the one with less aggressive HAVS.

Upvote 0
You say you want to upgrade - are you using a custom/ROM kernel, right now, or are you just looking for suggestions for what to start with? I'm using mikfroyo 4.4, right now, with the same kernel as Urge (MA 4.3.2 CFS nosbc more HAVS, in case he changes his sig). Like he said, though, you have to try out various setups on your phone, as they might not work the same for you as they do for us. It's a good kernel to start with, though. It also depends on your usage. If you use the phone a lot, and it spends more time awake than idle, use a non-HAVS kernel. If your phone has frequent periods of inactivity, consider a HAVS kernel. Start with more aggressive HAVS, then switch to less aggressive HAVS, as Urge said. Also, try both CFS and BFS to see which one gets better battery life/performance for you.

Upvote 0
Lol. I think there are other threads like this, but if you insist...

-Netarchy 4.3.2 CFS more aggressive HAVS nosbc.
-Conservative governor
-Setcpu main main profile set to 245/1152
-Setcpu screen off profile set to 245/576
-Setcpu charging profile set to 245/1152

ROM is Mikfroyo 4.4, but Netarchy will work on any Sense ROM. The battery will usually drop anywhere between 0 and 2% during the night, but that could be due to other factors beyond just the kernel. Want to know anything else?

Upvote 0
Thanxs for the replies.....
I wanted to get "FULL" profiles such as the one AK gave (or more info if the application provides even more detail).
In this way when experimentation is used, if one ever needs the orig profiles this thread can be used as a reference guide.
Keep em coming

Upvote 0

-Conservative governor

ROM is Mikfroyo 4.4, but Netarchy will work on any Sense ROM. The battery will usually drop anywhere between 0 and 2% during the night, but that could be due to other factors beyond just the kernel. Want to know anything else?

+1

I'm running the EXACT same setup as Akazabam.

Upvote 0

-Conservative governor

i am also using same kernel...dont have any setcpu profiles made at the moment but wanna explore, for better battery life ideally...any recommendations? Also, are all your profiles set to conservative??

Upvote 0
i am also using same kernel...dont have any setcpu profiles made at the moment but wanna explore, for better battery life ideally...any recommendations? Also, are all your profiles set to conservative??

The two I have are probably the most common. I've also added > 43 C - 245/756. That one has the highest priority, with charging after that, and screen off last. That is probably the most common profile setup. Under those conditions, if the phone gets too hot, it will underclock, no matter what other conditions are met. Otherwise, if the phone is plugged in, there's no reason to care about battery life, so it can overclock even if the screen is off. Once you unplug it, though, and the screen is off, it will underclock.

Other common profiles are ones used to scale the maximum frequency down as battery life goes down. If you're going to do that, you want to set the priority in reverse. That means, that the profile with the lowest battery life has the higher profile of the other battery level profiles. Those should all have a lower priority than the three I've listed above.

If you want more information, read this link. Just remember, if you're going to use the smartass governor, don't use profiles. They'll conflict. Also, if you use HAVS, you'll probably be better off using only those first three profiles I mentioned. Most people report worse battery life with other profiles. You'll have to try it for yourself. In theory, though HAVS and profiles shouldn't conflict. HAVS deals with variable voltage, while profiles deal with variable frequency.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all profiles are set to conservative (frenchy's reply reminded me :)). Really, there's no good reason to use a different governor for other profiles, except in a few conditions. For example, when the phone is plugged in, there's no reason to care about battery life, so you can set that to use the on-demand governor. That will give you slightly better performance while the phone is plugged in. I don't use my phone while it's plugged in much, and when I do, I don't really need the performance boost, so I don't bother. It's all a matter of trial and error to get everything exactly how you want it. There are just too many combinations to list here.

Upvote 0

You're going to want a screen off profile, definitely. Mine's currently set at 245/245. If you use any applications such as Navigation, and the screen turns off, you're going to need to scale your CPU a bit higher so it doesn't conflict with that running program; 245/576 is a good scaling range.

Also, all governors with all my profiles are set at conservative btw.

Reactions: italy7
Upvote 0
thanks fella's...i've read around and like to hear personal preferences as well...

4.3.2 cfs more havs nosbc has provided me w/ about 15hrs battery life w/ 15% remaining w/ moderate use and no setcpu profiles...will try out ur preferences thanks :)

i think i'll give the smarta** profile a shot to just to see what i can get as well...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones