• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL]SpeedDemon V5.6 (Performance & Battery Improvements) - MIUI Kernel

Do MIUI have trickle charging, or just CM7?
I think both, and stock too, cause I am pretty sure ticker got it to work that way in CM7 because that is how the internal hardware is supposed to work. I am not sure of MIUI, but it is based off the CM7 code for parts of it, possibly this part?

(I could be wrong, I haven't used a 2.2 ROM in ages)

Upvote 0
I believe this is the quote where he explains it a bit, there might be more discussion at some other point, but this is what I found.

This phone's internal hardware switches to a much lower-output charge at 90% and turns the light green, even though it's not entirely full. If the stats are wrong it will enter this mode with the battery being WELL short of actually being full, and require many hours of additional charging (in some cases as long as overnight!) before it reaches an actual full charge. This is actually a good thing rather than a bad one (contrary to some people's views) as overcharging lithium cells both damages them and can cause overheating (which again can lead to fires!); I like how the Triumph manages the battery although it can easily lead to a situation where you think you have 100% when you really don't, especially if you're swapping batteries or ROMs around, and that in turn leads to surprises when the phone shuts down while you think it has plenty of battery left.

I have used the words trickle charge when talking of this, because that is what it means to me. Correct me if I am wrong.

I also took this to mean that it was the standard behavior for this phone since he was talking about the internal hardware of the phone.

Upvote 0
Yes the stock ROM should charge in this way as well as MIUI and CM7. Also increasing the usb draw that high could cause potential problems of overcharging. It's not good to charge lithium batteries to fast. That is why charging on usb port of a computer is better for the life of the battery than an a/c charge because a/c chargers charge at a higher rate, thus shortening the life of the battery. I see no benefits to increasing the usb draw this high. Maybe going from 2 to 10 or something but to 500 mA seems unneeded and possibly dangerous.

Upvote 0
i'll test it out in a little bit and see how the charging is. i just gotta charge my phone up to 100% before i do. i wanna see if trickle charging still applies from 90-100. i mean a jump from .002 amps to .5 amps is a REALLY drastic jump. i like how b_randon stated it maybe .01 amps would have been sufficient enough. i actually think the charging was fine the way it was. my phone charged in sufficient time and stayed charged very well. personally i wouldn't have changed it, but to each his own.
thanks for the work!!!

edit: but at the same time looking at the wall charger that came with the phone it's output is 850ma so 500ma is still a little lower then what ac charging actually pushes to the phone.

Upvote 0
never got to test it. passed out yesterday, then almost got in a fight with my neighbor at 1am in the morning last night because he told me i ran over his trash cans. i told him to call the cops if that was the case. it's like dude i did that stuff 10 years ago when i was 17. anyhow i'll attempt my testing today and see how it works out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones