1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Kernels CFS or BFS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yeahha, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I didn't see any info about this posted around here. I'm sure most of you have seen both type of kernels when looking at the different options for your phone. I'm also sure some of you don't know the difference between the two.

First a little background on how each work.

The Completly Fair Scheduler or CFS. This is the stock Linux scheduler, like the name suggests it tries to be completely fair to each process that is running on your phone, it will try to dedicate the same percentage of CPU to each process. When a process gets more CPU than the others on the phone the the kernel will track this and later will try to compensate for the difference by dedicating more power to other processes.

The Brain Fuck Scheduler or BFS handles processes differently. Instead of treating each task as equal and trying to dedicate an equal percentage of CPU to each process it will give the process in the foreground a much higher priority. It also does not attempt to compensate other processes later to give them equal use of the CPU.

Different strokes for different folks.

I encourage you to try each both types of kernels to see which type will fit your needs better but I will give a breakdown of how they perform in use remember YMMV.

A CFS is more suited for multitasking. You may notice performance issues when using CPU heavy activities like HD games because it is trying to keep the other processes in the background equal to the one that is hogging the CPU. It should also be noted that as designed this type kernel should handle going from listening to music to sending a text to surfing the web with minimal lag.

A BFS will perform better on CPU intensive process, which usually cause them to get higher benchmark scores. However because it only dedicates minimal CPU to background processes you may experience lag when switching quickly between different tasks.

Again you should try out each type to find what works best for you, I personally like CFS kernels for how I use my phone. There are also other things within kernels that affect performance like governors you should test out too. Hope this helps someone :D

Advertisement

2. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    I like the theory behind BFS for phones since you rarely have multiple system requests running simultaneously like on a laptop.

Real world I don't find much difference between the 2. Probably once software is designed with dualcore processors in mind it'll show more strenghts and weaknesses.

3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Luckly the bolt is still powerful enough to run most everything well, at one point the OG Droid was too, but as technology progressed and it started to get dated the staggering between multitasking became more apparent. I would agree as more and more powerful phones come out we will start to notice the same thing with the bolt but that is just a way of life. I personally switch between 4+ programs almost any time I use my phone and with audio playing, internet loading, and things downloading I have had issues where the phone couldn't keep up with my demands. It seems to do better on a CFS kernel with this than a BFS kernel.