1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keyboard Dock #1 and #2 Keys

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dave L, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Hi,

This has been bugging me since I got my Infinity. I can find no reference to it in the manual.

The #1 and #6 keys on the dock are circled Can anyone explain why please?

Thanks

2. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

The story generally goes that it's to improve visibility of the keys in the dark. It's only 1 and 6 for the same reason only F and J have nubs on them on a desktop board - you use them to align your fingers and then you can picture in your head where the rest of the keys are. Aren't there two other circled keys on there too?

3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Hi,

Yes, that makes sense. You are right about the two other key circled. Those are the up and down cursor keys. They didn't improve visibility for me though, only noticed the #1annd #6 :)

4. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

I wondered that myself...thanks!

Is there a way to power on the tablet from the keyboard? The lock key shuts it off or puts it on standby, but doesn't turn it on.

5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

You have to go into Asus settings and enable the keyboard in standby mode. The keyboard, by default, is shut off to conserve power. I'm not sure how much power it takes in standby, but I always thought that the tradeoff isn't worth it.

pucrepeap likes this.
  6. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

The trade off isn't worth it? As in having the ability to use the keyboard from stand by is not worth the unknown battery drain?

7. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

I'd keep it on, personally. I doubt the battery usage is actually noticeable.

pucrepeap likes this.
  8. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

Yes. The only thing you could do with the device is wake it up using the top right unlock key. I, personally, rather have the power savings than a slightly more convenient method of unlocking my device. But other people might find the convenience is more worthwhile than the power usage.

The other advantage that I found out yesterday is that if you have a SD card in the keyboard dock, it has to re-mount the SD card every time it's turned back on. If I was going to use a full sized SD card (or a micro SD in a SD adapter) on a regular basis, I would probably reverse that decision.

pucrepeap likes this.