• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard doesn't keep up with how fast I type!

HSenior

Apr 5, 2010
I text. A lot.

It's very irritating when the keyboard on the Eris can't keep up with how fast I type. I'll be finished with my message, and the last few words take 1-3 seconds to show up, which is fine I suppose. However, when I make some errors, the auto-correct feature doesn't work because apparently my typing speed is too quick for it.

Everything works fine when I type slowly, but that's annoying too.

I barely have any apps besides the stock ones. In running services I only have the calendar, Google Voice, Touch Input, and BatteryTime running. I don't use any app killer, I have animations and haptic feedback turned off. I don't know what else I can do to speed this phone up.

This problem, the lag in switching from portrait to landscape, and the lag with calls is really making me want to sell my Eris and purchase the Incredible, or I may wait until the "Moto Droid X" releases in July....or is that just a rumor?

I text. A lot.

It's very irritating when the keyboard on the Eris can't keep up with how fast I type. I'll be finished with my message, and the last few words take 1-3 seconds to show up, which is fine I suppose. However, when I make some errors, the auto-correct feature doesn't work because apparently my typing speed is too quick for it.

Everything works fine when I type slowly, but that's annoying too.

I barely have any apps besides the stock ones. In running services I only have the calendar, Google Voice, Touch Input, and BatteryTime running. I don't use any app killer, I have animations and haptic feedback turned off. I don't know what else I can do to speed this phone up.

This problem, the lag in switching from portrait to landscape, and the lag with calls is really making me want to sell my Eris and purchase the Incredible, or I may wait until the "Moto Droid X" releases in July....or is that just a rumor?

You might be better off getting a new phone if it bothers you that much. For me, I have grown to live with it. I'm getting much more accurate with my typing even when it falls behind. I think I go about 30 WPM. Although I pause a lot when I type.

And the new Droid is most likely not a rumor. The Moto Droid is starting to become outdated so Verizon is most likely going to replace it and EOL it. And it supposed has a improved keyboard, so since you like texting, that might suit you better.

Upvote 0
As much as I love the Eris, the one thing I do miss more than anything is the physical keyboard. I love the phone, it's size, form everything about it. I just miss the keyboard sometimes. It's the only thing I would change about the phone.

Back on topic, I do have lag, but not that much. How fast do you type? I probably average about 40-50 words per minute. I am slower on this phone than I was on my old phone (ENV3) but I expected that. My lag isn't bad enough to have words finish typing after I typed them. That happened on my ENV3 but not on this phone. The only lag I see that affects things is the auto correct, sometimes it doesn't capitalize "I" or put an apostrophe in words or something.

And I don't have lag switching to landscape. When I switch it to landscape, it takes a second at the most to switch. So what do you define as lag when switching to landscape?

I would have to agree with Demache though, if you're really having that bad of a problem, wait until July or August if you can and get the new Droid. Or there's the LG Ally. I think if I remember correctly, even the Incredible had lag when typing fast, so I think your BEST bet would be to get a phone with a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
I got my first cell phone 2 years ago, and it was a cheap samsung flip. So I'm really not the one to complain over minor lag issues.

However, when I tilt the phone horizontally and it takes 3-4 seconds for the orientation to switch, it gets pretty annoying.

I don't think I'm incredibly fast. People actually say I'm a slow texter when they see me type, which is why I'm so surprised that the phone can't keep up.

I love the auto correction feature, it works great when I type slowly and make mistakes. But when I type a little quicker, it doesn't process fast enough and none of my errors are corrected.

Upvote 0
I got my first cell phone 2 years ago, and it was a cheap samsung flip. So I'm really not the one to complain over minor lag issues.

However, when I tilt the phone horizontally and it takes 3-4 seconds for the orientation to switch, it gets pretty annoying.

I don't think I'm incredibly fast. People actually say I'm a slow texter when they see me type, which is why I'm so surprised that the phone can't keep up.

I love the auto correction feature, it works great when I type slowly and make mistakes. But when I type a little quicker, it doesn't process fast enough and none of my errors are corrected.

Sounds like you have some app on your phone that is slowing it down by not closing properly. Also, if you are not on a leaked version of 2.1, you may want to root your phone and overclock it. That got rid of phone lag for me. One last thing...the Swype keyboard allows you to type pretty fast. May want to give it a try, but it does take getting used to.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have some app on your phone that is slowing it down by not closing properly. Also, if you are not on a leaked version of 2.1, you may want to root your phone and overclock it. That got rid of phone lag for me. One last thing...the Swype keyboard allows you to type pretty fast. May want to give it a try, but it does take getting used to.

+1. Root is great, and I personally use shapewriter... to each his own

Upvote 0
My daughter is another fast texter.. and it's all with her thumbs! She does what appears to be about 35 wpm, just about what I do on my normal computer keyboard or a typewriter using all my fingers.

But that's on a Tour and she has itty bitty hands, perfect for texting on the small Blackberry keyboards.

I handed her my Eris one day and after sending a few texts she just said, "I could never use that on a regular basis." :mad:

I use the left index finger and I go about two letters per second, as timed by my kid (while stifling laughter), and it's good enough for me. :cool:

I'm old. Perhaps the Eris is for old people. Hey-hey.. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones