• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard gets slower the more you type?

sdgmcdon

Feb 1, 2012
I've had a number of android devices over the last few years and all of them exhibited this problem...I picked up the Razr Maxx HD yesterday and found the same problem...hoping someone knows of this issue and a fix for it.

Basically, if you type a fairly long email, really long text, blog entry or forum post (or note in X app) the more you type the slower the keyboard responds until it gets to a point of being completely unusable.

Anyone?

It's happened on every android device I've owned (and others, friends/families I've used to see if their's has the issues too). I've had everything from the OG droid through to now having the RAZR Maxx HD (mostly moto's, but some Samsungs and HTC's in between...I switch phones a LOT).

Basically if you're a fast typer (both thumbs) and you rely on autocorrect, as I do, go into a new text, email...anything really that will allow you to just type away...and just start typing, maybe try typing in a page or two of a book or something as you're reading it (just an idea to get the "length" thing going). IT HAS TO BE LENGTHY AND FAST TYPING FOR IT TO HAPPEN. Last lengthy thing I did that it happened with was 370 words and 2,000 characters (roughly). It was completely unusable by the end.

Anyway, over time the keyboard response will just slow down, not noticeable at first, then seems a little "sticky" then super slow then unuseable.

Being that I've experienced this problem on at LEAST 15+ Androids I know it's not just me, it IS a problem with Androids - It's not possible that only the 15+ androids I've tried to replicate this on were the only 15+ androids in existence that have this problem...If that were the case, I'd be winning the lottery every week.

By the way, I did try swiftkey3, had the same problem.

As for whats running on the phone...Doesn't matter because I could go from a factory reset phone, setup NOTHING, open an existing on phone app to type in, text messaging, whatever and experience the problem. But just for the sake of argument, I don't leave anything running on my phones, advanced task killer is set to aggressive and kills everything every half hour, the only other things I use are email, text, phone, web browsing etc...

Upvote 0
I was checking the messages that I typed on my phone recently. The most I typed in a message recently was only 120 words or maybe about 700 characters. I use Thumb Keyboard with no auto-correct or prediction of any kind. I did not experience any keyboard lag, but this probably didn't reach the threshold where you notice any slow down.

Sorry, but I'm not about to write a long message just for the sake of testing this out. I'll keep this in mind in case I do type a long message in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones