1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support keyboard input problems... need some info

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kestner, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Kestner

Kestner Lurker
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    My sisters droid 2 force closes and screen freezes when she types on the physical keyboard and both on screen keyboards. It freezes then phone reboots. It does this on any app that needs typing.

Any input to fix this or lead to the problem would be appreciated

Advertisement

2. lrv

lrv Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm not currently on GB, but when you access "Settings," then "Manage Applications," do you see an "Android keyboard" or "Swype?"

First, force stop them both, then clear data.

If that doesn't work, the only other option may be a hard reset.

3. PaulluaP

PaulluaP Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2010
    Mines been doing the same thing. It'll freeze up when i'm typing, then ask to force close. After the force close, the predictive text for the last word I was typing will stay at the bottom of the screen and be completely unusable. I've reset my phone multiple times [went from zombiestomped rom, sbf'd, multiple wipes] and thought i had finally fixed it when I most recently SBF flashed and did the OTA update for GB. But sure enough, it's back again!

anyone have any additional thoughts as to why this happens? I feel like the hardware must be faulty or my phone is just handicapped like that. It's been shockingly hard to find threads on this as google as well. Srlsy, it's making me hate my D2, which has been nothing but bomb aside from this horrific keyboard failing.

Note, I'm trying out swype instead of multi touch hoping it's the multitouch being buggy as sin or something. Of course, I don't get to predict what i wanna say or have my spelling checked when using the phys keyboard but it I'll take that over an unusable brick any day.

4. biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Retail Clerk
    United States
    Flash cm7 gb kernel and see if that doesnt fix your problem. Wipe all nneccesary areas as usual

5. bowlingotter

bowlingotter Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    My wife has been having this same problem since the Gingerbread update. The problem went away when we switched to Swype input mode. Now the physical keyboard works without a hitch again. Catch is that the touch screen keyboard is now stuck using Swype, but she really doesn't use the touch screen keyboard so its a solution for us. Hope it helps you too.

6. lrv

lrv Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    Virginia
    This has been a widespread Droid2 issue after the OTA. You can fix it by Settings > Language & Keyboard > Multi-touch keyboard > Uncheck 'Show Suggestions,' 'Highlight Words,' and 'Next word prediction.'

scorp64va likes this.
  7. scorp64va

scorp64va Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Irv, thanks for this post. Both my wife's and my D2's were having these problems. I changed these settings on mine and ran it through some tests with no recurance of the issues. I'll fix her's when I get home tonight.