1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keyboard input question........

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lee Majors, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lee Majors

Lee Majors Newbie

Hey Friends,

The Bionic is my first Droid with a virtual keyboard........I was wondering if there is a forward delete function?.......I hate having to put the cursor ahead of what I want to delete and then backspace.......

Thanks for any responses!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

I don't know about a forward delete button but I also don't like the stock keyboard. I use go keyboard from the market.

3. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog Member

Have you tried using Swype? It has a carat that you can move forward and backward in your text field...

4. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

The stock Gingerbread keyboard should allow you to highlight and delete specific text anywhere in what you're typing out with a long press of your fingers to move the cursor or highlight text..

That being said, I use Swiftkey X from the market and you can do that or use built in arrow keys to move the cursor around with it.

5. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog Member

I have used both Swiftkey X and Swype, and while both are better than the stock keyboard, Swype is far better and more useable in my opinion. It integrates better with apps, and the carat makes it easy to highlight exactly the text you want. It's handling of prediction/correction and it's custom dictionary are better as well.

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Interesting. Since the default keyboard is multi-touch, I was hoping, after reading your post, that shift-backspace would do a forward delete. It does not, though.

I also tried with Swiftkey X (my default keyboard) - no such luck with that, either.

Thankfully, positioning the cursor isn't that difficult with gingerbread in most text fields that I have used. Tap once to show that blue cursor carat, then you can drag it pretty accurately to where you want it to go.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Lol yeah, I didn't post about it but the first thing I did after reading the post about 3 minutes after it was made was to try Shift + backspace. No dice.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews