• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard Issue - Text Not Showing

mobilemike01

Dec 6, 2009
I have had a strange issue for the past couple days. Sometimes when I type on the keyboard, no text is entered into the text box, but I see the letters "pop up". I have tried to change orientation, and exit the app and no luck. The only thing that really works is to reset the phone. i have even tried to use Better Keyboard and it does it too.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?

Thanks!

I am using Handcent and better keyboard, I did updates for both recently and it no longer saves my words. If the word wasnt saved in the dictionary I could do a long press on it and it would save it to the dictionary, now Ill long press and it will say its saved but the next time I start trying the word (such as "ok") it will not be in the dictionary.

Not the same problem as above but I didnt want to make another texting thread

Upvote 0
I have had a strange issue for the past couple days. Sometimes when I type on the keyboard, no text is entered into the text box, but I see the letters "pop up". I have tried to change orientation, and exit the app and no luck. The only thing that really works is to reset the phone. i have even tried to use Better Keyboard and it does it too.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?

Thanks!

Let me guess, your phone is rooted and/or flashed?

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem as well on my Nexus One using both the stock keyboard and "Better Keyboard." I see the letter popping up but nothing in the display field. If i actually send the text, i can see that it indeed is typing, just not displaying what i'm typing until i leave the text input screen.

Couple of things...have you rebooted the phone recently? How many apps do you have? (maybe the the Nexus one has a similar app limit like the 70 app limit on the Hero??) Have you cleared cache recently? This sounds to me like some sort of memory problem. Let us know

Upvote 0
I have the same incredibly frustrating problem along with a slew of others. Mine will do the same thing where you type and still get the word suggestions yet nothing shows up in the text box. And when I click send, hoping it will still send what i type, it just sends a blank text.
I almost punched my mom and threw my phone out the window last night I was so frustrated with it. Not really...but I could have.

Once that starts happening alot my Messages app will start force closing and occasionally delete all of my texts. I have lost 2000+ texts. It just simply deletes them all no questions asked.

*Edit: Ive never experienced it in another app however though like some people.

Upvote 0
I have the same incredibly frustrating problem along with a slew of others. Mine will do the same thing where you type and still get the word suggestions yet nothing shows up in the text box. And when I click send, hoping it will still send what i type, it just sends a blank text.
I almost punched my mom and threw my phone out the window last night I was so frustrated with it. Not really...but I could have.

Once that starts happening alot my Messages app will start force closing and occasionally delete all of my texts. I have lost 2000+ texts. It just simply deletes them all no questions asked.

*Edit: Ive never experienced it in another app however though like some people.

You said you lost over 2,000 texts? It has been mentioned on this forum many times that keeping a large number of texts can cause problems. Perhaps deleting them can help?

Oh, and just a question...not criticizing...cause I don't know...why would someone want to keep thousands of text messages???

Upvote 0
You said you lost over 2,000 texts? It has been mentioned on this forum many times that keeping a large number of texts can cause problems. Perhaps deleting them can help?

Oh, and just a question...not criticizing...cause I don't know...why would someone want to keep thousands of text messages???

I said it's happened multiple times...
In total it's been about that many.

The most that was deleted at once was about 700. And I keep that many for reference of past conversations.

Upvote 0
Hello there, this is not exactly same problem but I am hoping someone might be able to help.
Is it possible to pick contacts from contact list when texting. I can only type in the phone number of whom I am texting and since I do not know everyone number off my head, it will be nice to just be able to pick from the contact list.
Yes, I can go to my contact, pick a name and then have the option of text or call but if I should go to text first and try to send a text out, there is no option to pick names from my contact list. I would also like to send out text to multiple recipients but that means I must know everyone phone numbers.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply, it works...thanks and thank again, however I have little situation with my Google & face book accounts sync. Normally I do not use my Google account very much because I have yahoo and hotmail accounts. I can only configure the yahoo to work with my phone and not hotmail) When I get my phone, the phone automatically imported all my Google account and face book contacts but to my greatest surprise, I only see email ids for both accounts (Google and face book). Since, I only know my contacts by names and not emails, I decided to transfer all my contacts from my old phone manually. I was able to import all my contacts using sim cards (over 1500) but when I finished, I cannot see what I just imported. I picked the option of display contact with phone numbers but no contact display still to display. So I decided that I will just call people or when people call I will just add them, meaning that I will add their names and phone number to the email address already synced to the phone. So I decided to add back my contact like this again, one by one.
Greatest surprise, whenever the phone synchronize, all my newly added contact will disappear and just go back to the way it was before...so does that mean that I can only updates my contacts from Google and face book on my desktop and not on the phone to save the updates when it synch...I am just confused and frustrated. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones