• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Keyboard Issues - Software/Hardware??

sbursik

Feb 4, 2010
I have read the other threads when I searched and I'm afraid I know the answer but I'll throw this out there just in case someone has another idea.

ISSUE: When I am using the on screen keyboard in the vertical position, the "q" and the up arrow key dont work. When I push them the button next to it depresses. So when I hit "q" the "w" key is depressed. When I push the up arrow the "z" key gets pushed. All of the other keys appear to work. This crept in the last few days.

I am currently running the Bugless Beast .4 with no theme at this point. I did a full wipe before the install. I also loaded the stock 2.1 and did a wipe before I loaded.

To troubleshoot I have done the following:

1. Wiped the phone
  2. Loaded a new ROM - Problem was there from the start
  3. Let the apps restore from the market and then did a shut down and a battery pull
  4. Keyboard worked perfectly for about 5 minutes then started acting up again
  5. Created a new Google account that would have NO saved settings or application in the market
  6. Wiped the phone again
  7. Loaded BB .4 and logged in with the new account I created
  8. Issue still exists
  9. When I have the phone in landscape mode the number key when pressed hits the Shift button above it and occasionally the screen locks up. I have to hit the power button to turn the screen off and then back on and swipe and then I can use the keyboard again.
  10. I tried to load Better Keyboard version 5.x and still had the same keys busted
Any suggestions? Unfortunately I got this phone through Craigslist back in January so I have no warranty.

Thanks!

Thinking about trying Swype. Is there a version that works with the 2.2 roms? I tried the Droid X multi-touch keyboard and it FC every time you try and use it.

I believe Swype is on the market now... if not just go to the Swype website and download the latest "beta" it should work just fine on 2.2...

The reason the Droid X keyboard is FCing on you is because they haven't ported it over to 2.2 yet, currently it will only work on 2.1 ROMs....

Upvote 0
I believe Swype is on the market now... if not just go to the Swype website and download the latest "beta" it should work just fine on 2.2...

The reason the Droid X keyboard is FCing on you is because they haven't ported it over to 2.2 yet, currently it will only work on 2.1 ROMs....

Doesn't appear to be in the market and the beta is closed. :(

Upvote 0
Wasn't there a ROM that had some tools that would test the screen? I vaguely remember something like that?

I did go ahead and by the latest version of Better Keyboard and I can use the on screen keyboard in landscape mode but I have the same dead spots when the phone is vertical.

Upvote 0
Well this pretty well show whats happening. I downloaded a paint program and drug the very edge of the screen and you can see that the program isn't painting the left edge. It paints further to the right. I don't suppose there is some tool to align the screen?

Attachments

• CAP201006301115.jpg
    CAP201006301115.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
Fascinating! Was reading in some of the forums about codes you can use to access information and ran through some. *#*#4636#*#* was one of them and after going through some of the menu items I went back the keyboard and everything is working for the moment at least. Very very interesting!More codes are here: Secret Android Phone Codes | Barunang.com

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
Fascinating! Was reading in some of the forums about codes you can use to access information and ran through some. *#*#4636#*#* was one of them and after going through some of the menu items I went back the keyboard and everything is working for the moment at least. Very very interesting!More codes are here: Secret Android Phone Codes | Barunang.com

Nice find... and glad you got it working...

Reactions: sbursik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones