• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Try going to settings again
Language and Keyboard
Touch input
Text Input
And turn Off Sound Feedback but leave Vibrate when typing checked.
Thats all I have and my stock and Swype keyboard just FLY.

aahhhhhh. i was under the impression that they keyboard vibration was part of the haptic feedback. turned that off and kept Vibrate While Typing.

slightly faster. better than before and best its going to get unless i turn off the vibrate while texting. thanks :D

edit: keyboard is, as you said, flying. thanks so much :)

Upvote 0
Your welcome. And by the way, seeings as it's a Linux based system it Will get faster the longer the phone runs without a hard reset. I can only type about 50 words a minute on my Eris and it never lags. A hard reset does just that. Resets everything so you'd have to go back in and change all of your settings again. My up time is over 800 hours with the ver.2 leak and no problems.
I'm probably telling you things you already know. Anyway. Best of luck.
By the way I leave vibrate on as well. Helps me a lot. hate it without. I need that feedback.

I didn't mean to lie before, but my Eris has only been up for 490 hours since the ver.2 update. I just checked the battery status and it made me a choke a little. Sorry about that. I may have been boasting. I've never done that before. REALLY! Never.

Upvote 0
Your welcome. And by the way, seeings as it's a Linux based system it Will get faster the longer the phone runs without a hard reset. I can only type about 50 words a minute on my Eris and it never lags. A hard reset does just that. Resets everything so you'd have to go back in and change all of your settings again. My up time is over 800 hours with the ver.2 leak and no problems.
I'm probably telling you things you already know. Anyway. Best of luck.
By the way I leave vibrate on as well. Helps me a lot. hate it without. I need that feedback.

just to clarify... by hard reset you mean the factory data reset? theres been some controversy over what constitutes a hard reset on the eris.

and actually i didnt know that. so your saying the longer i have the phone running the quicker it will become?

and ya...w/o the vibrate im sure it would be faster but i couldnt do it.

Upvote 0
As far as the reset you are right. A hard reset is under Settings/Privacy/factory data reset.
A soft reset is just long pressing the call end button and Powering the phone off.

What I'm saying about the OS is that it's opened sourced and it learns how you operate your device in a sense. It doesn't waste CPU and memory usage for things sitting idle for a certain period of time. Now you do have to clear cache from time to time in certain apps but you do that already on your computer. I'ts just good maintenance.
Clearing browser, call log, messages and such are just smart things to do. It's not a computer, it's just a fancy phone without the resources your Mac or PC has.

So will it start to run faster? Yes. The more you use it while properly maintaining it. They go hand in hand. Of course you have to realize that this phone has a very slow processer and can only do so much. Just keep your apps to a minimum. In other words the ones you Actually use and dump the rest. If you notice a diffference in performance or reliability after installing an app then be wary of said app.

You and I are running an unofficial leak that isn't complete by any standard. I've noticed several differences between the two. Some things work. Some don't. Those are the breaks.

By the way with haptic on I've seen no discernable difference in sensativity when I text or dial.

I know this will get grilled and I've run on far to long. Sorry. I sounded kind of preachy here.

If you want a faster keyboard you should try Swype. It's much faster than the stock but you loose the haptic feedback with this ver. I don't necessarily like that but it's beneficial at times.

So in quick conclusion. Will it read your mind and remind you it's your girlfriend's birthday? NO! Will it operate in a smart and efficient manner as you continue to use it?
Yes!
It's a great; CHEAP, smartphone. The best one out there at this price range, seeings no others seem to exist right now in said (cheap) price range.

OK! I'm gonna get kicked off. I'll stop now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones